Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Installing piggy-back, MAP-sensor and ZT-2

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 02:26 PM
Dea_944t
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Installing piggy-back, MAP-sensor and ZT-2

Just got a Vitesse kit with PB and MAP sensor and a ZT-2 that I'm about to install.

Where's the smartest physical placement of these items? pictures would be appreciated!

Are there any known problems with having both the KLR-box, a MAP sensor (or possible two with the ZT-2) and a mechanical boost gauge (possibly another MAP and an electrical gauge instead) on original KLR pressure line?

/Dea
Old 02-01-2011, 02:39 PM
choinga
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I keep the PB in the floorboard with the DME...tight fit, but you can make it work...you sorta have to make it work because you'll be soldering most of the wires into the DME and you only have a few inches of wire to work with anyway.

I haven't installed my MAP sensor yet - but it will probably get mounted in the engine bay somewhere - probably on the firewall.

ZT-2 box is smushed behind the gauge panel under the radio.

My understanding is that you want the MAP connected directly to the intake, if at all possible. I would hesistate and having all of those connected off a single line. In fact, I bought one of those 4 nipple things that Laust Pederson was making that attach to the intake at the same place the KLR vacuum line banjo does and ran a direct line to my boost gauge. I've got an extra port on the fitting that I'm going to use to connect the MAP directly to the intake as well.
Old 02-05-2011, 04:14 PM
Dea_944t
Racer

Found a good place for the MAP-sensor in the engine bay so now it will have its own line, will put up some pictures later.
Just need to find a good place for the boost solenoid as well.

Does the PB or the injector resistors get hot? I have an alarm box on the back of the DME maing it tricky to fit the PB in the floorboard. Thinking of making a small console for the PB and the resistors at the back of the inner glovebox mount.

/Dea

Last edited by Dea_944t; 02-06-2011 at 03:05 AM.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:30 PM
Black51
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Put up some pics of that if you decide to do it.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:38 AM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

If you are using the PB for boost control, it will generate some heat. The Tab on the side works as a heat sink, so mounting it to a larger piece of aluminum will help in cooling it.

Your idea of mounting the PB and the resistors on a aluminum plate will work. You don't want to be touching the DME/KLR as both will get hot.
Old 02-06-2011, 03:36 PM
Dea_944t
Racer

Picture of MAP-sensor mount (not finished yet, shorter bolts will be used )and pigtail for MAF-sensor (Vitesse were out of stock), taken with crappy cell phone camera.

/Dea
Attached Images    
Old 02-06-2011, 04:06 PM
Dea_944t
Racer

I think mounting the PB on a console like I described will work.
Mounting the resistors on the same console will require extra cabling for the resistors, I wonder how hot they get if mounted on a small aluminum plate?

/Dea

Quick Reply: Installing piggy-back, MAP-sensor and ZT-2