Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Shop lift

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 08:21 PM
jdog
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Shop lift

So I just sealed the deal on leasing some shop space to store and work on my toys (69 Mustang, the 951 and my boat). Now I need to find a mid-rise lift that is portable because I am sure that I will get transferred again. I have looked at the Ammco Coats brand and the Bend Pak Brand and was wondering if anyone has preference over the other. Or for that matter wants to steer me in another direction.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:54 PM
choinga
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://maxjaxusa.com/ I paid ~$1900 shipped. Took my Dad and I a few hours to set it up. You need a hammer drill and they supply the bolts. It takes 5 on each side. I love mine - used it most recently to get the whole car up so I could get all the calipers off for a repaint and then to bleed the brakes/slave. Prior to that used it on my turbo replacement job. It was invaluable. I leave the passenger post in all the time and just move the drivers side when I need the lift. Takes me about 10 minutes to get it setup or broke down. You obviously need good, level concrete to pull this off. My house is 1.5 years old - I didn't do any testing with mine...just drilled the holes, got the torque wrench out for a 100ft/lb on each bolt and haven't looked back. I got a little cracking away at one of the bolts, but I bought some concrete epoxy and filled it up. Here's my post-install thread.

I love mine - a few pics...

Old 01-24-2011, 09:28 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I have a bendpak MD-6xp. Lifts everything from 944's to GT3RS's on a daily basis.

If you click on the blog link in my sig, then click on "Tools for the Job" there are a couple of bendpak posts in there when I first got the lift, and then when I modified it for dropping 911 motors.

My space limitations kept me from getting the maxjax, as I would always have it permanently installed, which meant losing parking on the 2nd stall due to it's width.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:05 PM
jdog
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I assume since you need a hammer drill that you have to anchor something into the concrete. Do you anchor a mounting plate into the concrete? If so I could not use that as this is a leased space.

Originally Posted by choinga
http://maxjaxusa.com/ I paid ~$1900 shipped. Took my Dad and I a few hours to set it up. You need a hammer drill and they supply the bolts. It takes 5 on each side. I love mine - used it most recently to get the whole car up so I could get all the calipers off for a repaint and then to bleed the brakes/slave. Prior to that used it on my turbo replacement job. It was invaluable. I leave the passenger post in all the time and just move the drivers side when I need the lift. Takes me about 10 minutes to get it setup or broke down. You obviously need good, level concrete to pull this off. My house is 1.5 years old - I didn't do any testing with mine...just drilled the holes, got the torque wrench out for a 100ft/lb on each bolt and haven't looked back. I got a little cracking away at one of the bolts, but I bought some concrete epoxy and filled it up. Here's my post-install thread.

I love mine - a few pics...

Old 01-24-2011, 11:43 PM
choinga
Three Wheelin'

yes, there's no plate but you'll have 10 holes with bolt receivers embedded in the concrete.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:07 AM
gt37vgt
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And I'm sure i could find all kinds of toys to hook up to what looks to be a hydraulic power pack there
Old 01-26-2011, 08:58 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

If you can’t drill the concrete you will have to use either a four post lift or a low rise lift the goes under the car (pretty useless for any work outside of the suspension).
Old 01-26-2011, 09:40 AM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

I've got a 4 post lift with the sliding jacks...I have yet to find anything I can't do on my car. Plus, I like the fact that when the car is stored on it for the winter the suspension isn't haning.

I bought mine from Greg Smith Equipment...it's been perfect for 5+ years.

Rick
Old 01-26-2011, 10:05 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

I have the Bend Pac scissors lift purchased many years ago. I have had no issue with it and manage to do everything I need to on my car. When I bought it the Max Jack was not available, or I would have bought the MJ for ease of working on the car. Having said that, I have swapped many engines, transmissions, TT's, you name it and the scissors lift works. It can be a bit of a pain when working on the back of the bellhousing but it still works. Pic below of my car this weekend when I put the engine back in my 968. With the lift I can remove and install an engine without assistance, so it does work well.
Attached Images    
Old 01-26-2011, 11:43 AM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris White
low rise lift the goes under the car (pretty useless for any work outside of the suspension).

How do you figure? There isn't much under the center of a Porsche, even a 951 that can't be worked around. Last weekend I dropped this with zero issues. While a 2 post is by far the best, if you are limited by space, drilling restrictions, etc, a midrise is a great solution. A four post has limitations too.

Only thing I have not been able to do on a midrise is an exhaust swap on a 951.

To the OP, you may check with the person leasing you the space. I can't see a big deal with sinking flush mount anchors into the concrete (for the max jax). When the lift is removed, they are completely flush with the ground, so it isn't like it prevents anything future from going across the floor.

Old 01-26-2011, 09:17 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheDoc
How do you figure? There isn't much under the center of a Porsche, even a 951 that can't be worked around. Last weekend I dropped this with zero issues. While a 2 post is by far the best, if you are limited by space, drilling restrictions, etc, a midrise is a great solution. A four post has limitations too.

Only thing I have not been able to do on a midrise is an exhaust swap on a 951.

To the OP, you may check with the person leasing you the space. I can't see a big deal with sinking flush mount anchors into the concrete (for the max jax). When the lift is removed, they are completely flush with the ground, so it isn't like it prevents anything future from going across the floor.

Anything is ‘possible’…but my back would cease to function if I had to swap an engine with a mid-rise lift! Clutch jobs are not a lot of fun either….
Old 01-27-2011, 05:44 PM
competition
Instructor

Rick
How do you like the sliding jacks? I was thinking of getting a pair.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:43 PM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by competition
Rick
How do you like the sliding jacks? I was thinking of getting a pair.
I love them...I've not found a single thing I can't do on the car with this setup. I like that I can store the car with the suspension loaded and work on every part of the underbody when it's jacked up - I just ifnished re-installing the exhaust, replacing a fuel line & repacking wheel bearings.

Rick
Old 01-28-2011, 10:29 AM
competition
Instructor

Are the two sliding jacks flush with the bottom of the lift when not in use?
Old 01-28-2011, 01:28 PM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by competition
Are the two sliding jacks flush with the bottom of the lift when not in use?
Not quite flush...I think the jack stands up about 1.5-2 inches above the level of the horizontal platforms of the lift.

Quick Reply: Shop lift