Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Jager Engineering Door Handles

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 01:21 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 514 Likes on 345 Posts

So if you feel this isn't a DIY are you going to make up a batch of these for sale? I'm interested in a set...
Old 02-27-2011, 01:56 PM
audisport
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by docwyte
So if you feel this isn't a DIY are you going to make up a batch of these for sale? I'm interested in a set...
Weird mixed messages... "it's not rocket surgery" but yet we're not capable of attempting this our selves?

Sounds to me like this is going to be a product for sale (?) since there is no willingness to provide info for DIY. But as soon as someone buys one set and reverse engineers it or figures it out on their own..... what's the point of holding secrets.
Old 02-27-2011, 02:11 PM
ramius665
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by audisport
Weird mixed messages... "it's not rocket surgery" but yet we're not capable of attempting this our selves?

Sounds to me like this is going to be a product for sale (?) since there is no willingness to provide info for DIY. But as soon as someone buys one set and reverse engineers it or figures it out on their own..... what's the point of holding secrets.
Naturally every project seems easy enough until you're knee-deep in coming up with solutions for the problems that pop up. There's significant fabrication necessary to ensure they work with the Porsche door mechanisms and we're still working on retaining central locking while keeping it plug and play. This is an enthusiast project to see if it was possible to have another option available to 924/944/968 owners. Thus far the initial results are promising. More to follow.
Old 02-27-2011, 02:15 PM
audisport
Instructor

Originally Posted by ramius665
Naturally every project seems easy enough until you're knee-deep in coming up with solutions for the problems that pop up. There's significant fabrication necessary to ensure they work with the Porsche door mechanisms and we're still working on retaining central locking while keeping it plug and play. This is an enthusiast project to see if it was possible to have another option available to 924/944/968 owners. Thus far the initial results are promising. More to follow.

Thanks. I would assume some fabrication of the mechanism would be required. But I think it should really be up to the individual to decide if it's something that can be DIY. Or maybe you meant to say they are not Plug and play ?
Old 02-27-2011, 02:30 PM
ramius665
Rennlist Member

Thanks. I would assume some fabrication of the mechanism would be required. But I think it should really be up to the individual to decide if it's something that can be DIY. Or maybe you meant to say they are not Plug and play ?
Well, I think so far the consensus is that it's not cost-effective for a DIY project. To get to the point that we're at now we could probably have picked up a set of new 968 handles. But that also allowed for a fair amount of trial and error. The handles basically come from the factory not suited for plug and play for a few different reasons. After some careful machining and fabrication they now play nice with all of the factory bits. Joka is putting them up to the torture test now to see if we've ironed all of the kinks out. If anyone is going to the Fest this year, we should have a few different things together that may wind up being for sale in the near term.
Old 02-27-2011, 02:33 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

They are not a direct bolt on as purchased, requiring some significant modification of the handles to interface with the Porsche mechanism..

While getting them there isn't rocket surgery, it also isn't exactly straight forward... some solutions have been obvious, others have taken some working to figure out!

But I can say... the prototype set works, fits, and DOES install.. drivers door is a bit of a PITA to get installed, but the passenger door takes significant less effort!

These will be torture tested over the next few days / weeks, to ensure material choices for fabricated pieces work, and the handles hold up well... I drive my car daily, to the tune of 2000 miles in the last 2 weeks, with probably hundreds of handle actuations over that time... so we will see.. and keep this thread up to date!

Any individual with access to a mill, various end mill sizes, drill bits, and some various tooling CAN do the same thing we have done, but I can tell you, if care isn't exercised you can easily destroy the factory parts getting them apart, or the new parts getting them assembled... as happened to my drivers factory script handle when removing it from the car this morning!
Attached Images      
Old 02-27-2011, 02:45 PM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm not sure what to say about this (not that what I have to say matters anyway).

At the beginning, this was a simple swap, and a DIY was coming.... Now it requires a a mill, and is far to complicated for the DIYer??

It seems that that kind of difference would have been apparent at the beginning. I can usually tell the difference between "close" and needing a lot of custom machine work, in the first few min....

I'm not calling anyone a liar, or that this isn't as much work as it is..... It just isn't adding up in my head. Perhaps I'm missing something.
Old 02-27-2011, 03:04 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by m73m95
I'm not sure what to say about this (not that what I have to say matters anyway).

At the beginning, this was a simple swap, and a DIY was coming.... Now it requires a a mill, and is far to complicated for the DIYer??

It seems that that kind of difference would have been apparent at the beginning. I can usually tell the difference between "close" and needing a lot of custom machine work, in the first few min....

I'm not calling anyone a liar, or that this isn't as much work as it is..... It just isn't adding up in my head. Perhaps I'm missing something.
The initial approach as a DIY, while noble, was made without the actual new handles in hand, once they were received it became apparent a new piece would have to be fabricated, Ramius asked me to assist him in making this happen... hence the delay in the initial set of handles getting installed... much the way a graceful MAF install, or DME re tune isn't rocket surgery, but also isn't directly obvious to solve, and requires a little bit of finesse and depth of experience and knowledge!

While not beyond a DIY level of effort, it takes a little bit of finesse, some non-standard tools, and a bit of depth of experience not possessed by every bear in the woods!

I will be working with Ramius over the coming days / weeks at refining the level of effort before anything is put out that can be construed as a DIY instruction..... or anything else...

I apologize if there is anything not directly obvious, but then end solution while simple enough for us to hammer out, wasn't directly obvious.. if it were there would be a lot more of these style of handle installed on our cars!

Stay tuned.. and feel free to contact me or Ramius directly if you have any lingering questions!
Old 02-27-2011, 03:09 PM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

The handles are stupidly inexpensive to buy.... I guess I was hoping this would be an easier swap. In the 70's and 80's the German manufacturers used many of the same parts (as we all know). I just keep thinking there has to be an easier solution for door handles.

Like I said before, my handles are going quickly... I just can't bring myself to pay Porsche prices, when VW prices are 1/3 as much.

Anyone try anything from Audi?

Seriously, shaving the handles, and buying/installing a door popper kit is about half as much as the Porsche handles.
Old 02-27-2011, 03:12 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

The handles are stupidly inexpensive to buy.... I guess I was hoping this would be an easier swap. In the 70's and 80's the German manufacturers used many of the same parts (as we all know). I just keep thinking there has to be an easier solution for door handles.

Like I said before, my handles are going quickly... I just can't bring myself to pay Porsche prices, when VW prices are 1/3 as much.

Anyone try anything from Audi?

Seriously, shaving the handles, and buying/installing a door popper kit is about half as much as the Porsche handles.
I am with you on the price of replacement handles, and yes many of the pieces are the EXACT same.. but it is the differences that make the install less than a direct bolt on out of the box.
Old 02-27-2011, 03:13 PM
ramius665
Rennlist Member

I just can't bring myself to pay Porsche prices, when VW prices are 1/3 as much.

This was my motivation as much as any other. I hurt my wrist pretty badly earlier this year and those trigger handles REALLY hurt to open when they're starting to fail. I can say from experience that these handles open with as much effort as my Subaru and look like they belong on the car.
Old 02-27-2011, 04:52 PM
supes6
Racer

Sorry but I'm just not feeling it.. the rounded edges seem to clash with the square indentations in the door and they just have a cheap look to them.. like they belong on a vw rabbit or something. My preference is the 968 handles and I almost think these are a downgrade from stock, especially if there is extra fabrication involved (the door handles are a bitch to work with even when you have all the right parts).
Old 02-27-2011, 05:09 PM
Dougs951
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I like them...
Old 02-27-2011, 10:33 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by supes6
Sorry but I'm just not feeling it.. the rounded edges seem to clash with the square indentations in the door and they just have a cheap look to them.. like they belong on a vw rabbit or something. My preference is the 968 handles and I almost think these are a downgrade from stock, especially if there is extra fabrication involved (the door handles are a bitch to work with even when you have all the right parts).
No worries, I never have been a fan of the 968 handles for the same "too round" reasoning.. and wasn't digging these, until I saw them on the door!

having installed, and used them.. I dont want to have to take them back off (although I will eventually have to remove them, if for nothing else to check for wear of the fabbed pieces!)

OH, and as of tonight, they are 9YO daughter approved, as looking better, and being MUCH easier to use!

From 5 feet away, you cant distinguish these from the factory handles... unless you are looking for it!
Old 02-27-2011, 10:40 PM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

That is a great shot. It shows how the handles go with the car....

Keep us posted on the outcome, and $$

Quick Reply: Jager Engineering Door Handles