Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Building Aluminum Torque Tube.

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 03:31 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 95ONE
really? What do you have>? some sort of hybrid? I will be adding a .25" stiff rubber pad between the gold mount and the black brace to hopefully absorb the high frequency (if any) vibrations.

What will be different about yours? pics? links?
Last pic that got posted got the poster banned...

PM me your e-mail and I will send you the info.. it is coming out of Sweden from Duke (I bought it off him, as his old car is gone, and he is working on teh new car), but is made in Finland...

I am getting a second one from a different source for my 951, almost the same design, and uses the same bushings...

The solid mount transmits EVERY gearbox noise into the body of the car.. very anoying.. I have used it for about 20K miles or so, and it drives me insane.. hence it is coming out..
Old 01-25-2011, 03:35 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Any specific brand of rod you would suggest?

oh, thats just where I threw some heat up into the part of the casting that I hadn't cleaned. So yeah, I expected that part. no biggie. It's getting machined out to 3 7/8" right now.. I got the larger OD pipe in today as the sleeve.. i can't do anything with it until the machinist is done.. I fear he may take a while.. Why always slow at the machinist.. Always.
Machinists always hold it up.. but a good one is worth the wait!

Lincoln is a good solid supplier, Hobart and Miller are less solid.. make sure whatever you buy is recently made, and comes with certs... don't settle for second rate supplies or you will get what you pay for....
Old 01-25-2011, 07:55 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks John..

Originally Posted by boost feen
So the press fit on the same size as steel but aluminum will work fine huh?
I'm not absolutely sure how hot those torque tubes get. The aluminum expansion might get just enough out of tolerance the might let them get a little looser.. BUT, they really dont' need to be in there extremely tight. But an allen screw for each one might be added security, I dont know;. Ill do the math and let you guys know.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:18 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So I got the wheel wells done while I wait for machining/pipes. A ridiculous amount of staring and wondering how I was going to do this happened. so much time for something so simple... It was MUCH harder than you think to cut out that piece of black plastic so it would fit every angle and curve in the fiber glass. SO glad thats over.. I can't even think what it would do to me if someone hit the car.. lol. Harsh.. here are the pics.. \

Dude... you better get some metal in those fender liners... because if you don't, and you lose a tire at speed, it will rip that entire quarter panel off the car, possibly the mirror, and.. by the looks of what's left of the pan of the car, possibly a whole lot more.

And I'm speaking from experience.

TonyG
Old 01-26-2011, 10:20 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Tony, those are the rear. The fronts are still stock. And I have no doubt the damage will be great to the body if hit. As a builder, the less I have to replace the better..... I got this.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:19 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Tony, those are the rear. The fronts are still stock. And I have no doubt the damage will be great to the body if hit. As a builder, the less I have to replace the better..... I got this.
I can see it's the rear. And it's not that the damage will be great if hit (it will no doubt... and if you so much as rub shoulders with someone, that quarter panel will come part and probably cut a tire down), but if you have a tire go down at speed, it will come apart, and it will rip the entire quarter panel off the car, and probably damage the door and mirror as well. And since there's no real rear structural metal left, a blown tire could potentially damage other structures as well (seriously damage).

I've had it happen to me and I've seen it happen to other people as well.

You are far better to fabricate some light weight aluminum fender liners to contain a blown tire. The weight is minimal. And they will prevent a LOT of damage to the car if (and when...) you have a tire come apart at speed. And it will happen... it's just a question of when.

TonyG
Old 01-27-2011, 12:32 AM
boost feen
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Dont forget once you break 2000lbs you get into superlight territory and thus once you go over 100mph the car will become even lighter so downforce downforce downforce! Large rear wing, front splitter with added downforce multipliers, underbody aerodynamic panels, along with all factory under engine and tray pieces.

This will all help keep a car this light stuck to the ground at 120mph?
Old 01-27-2011, 12:35 AM
95ONE
Race Car

I guess its the door and mirror damage comment that's confusing me a bit. But yeah, I see what you're saying from your experience, but at a loss since I know I have more back there than most fiber race cars I've seen. Thank you for the sincere concern, and I do appreciate it. But it's just an understood part of this class of car, and I understand the risks, as should the other drivers.. have you seen landjets car? All said, I am still thinking seriously about a sort of bumper bar there like I have at the rear bumper.

Originally Posted by boost feen
Dont forget once you break 2000lbs you get into superlight territory and thus once you go over 100mph the car will become even lighter so downforce downforce downforce! Large rear wing, front splitter with added downforce multipliers, underbody aerodynamic panels, along with all factory under engine and tray pieces.

This will all help keep a car this light stuck to the ground at 120mph?
preaching to the choir. I am going through great pains to make sure all of this happens. Flat bottom, Suction air pocket at front, canards, rear diffuser and large spoiler. Of course, most of the paneling you see is gearing towards this goal.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:48 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

I guess its the door and mirror damage comment that's confusing me a bit. But yeah, I see what you're saying from your experience, but at a loss since I know I have more back there than most fiber race cars I've seen. Thank you for the sincere concern, and I do appreciate it. But it's just an understood part of this class of car, and I understand the risks, as should the other drivers.. have you seen landjets car? .
When the tire goes flat, the side walls will over heat and the tire will start to come apart. Then what happens is that a piece of it starts slapping around. And that piece gets bigger and bigger. The force of that piece of tire slapping around at 100mph is enough to rip the quarter panel, those little fender brackets, and anything else in the way... right off the car. And that's exactly what will happen. It just so happens that the mirror and side of the door align perfectly with the pieces of the tire that start flinging around, so the side of the door gets scratched up and the side mirror also becomes a fair target for a piece of flying rubber....

So the point is that while you understand the "risks" (and the safety risk is no greater with our without metal fender liners), without them you weekend is over and you have just cost yourself a lot more money in repairs.

With the fender liners, you just put on a new tire and go, and there is no other damage to the car.

As far as fender-to-fender contact goes... I'd feel unsafe if I had any rubbing with that setup because the fender brackets could easily bend and start cutting down a tire.

Just seems like a lot of wasted money...

I'll try to find some pics of what it looked like the last time it happened on a wide body 944 without fender liners. It's ugly.

TonyG
Old 01-27-2011, 12:52 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Yeah... now that I look at it closer... given the direction of tire travel, if a tire came apart, it would take out the hatch as well and you would have flying rubber in the drivers compartment. Not good.

That piece of stock fender liner would slice apart the rubber coming off of the tire like a hot knife going through butter.

TonyG
Old 01-27-2011, 01:08 AM
95ONE
Race Car

ok. .. ok.. yes.. the worst thing imaginable can happen. And if a tire goes, it is unsafe no matter what the after effects, but. once again. I'm confident I'm safe. Specially considering the 20 strong steel tubes the tire has to wiggle through to get to anyone. The design is just there ONLY FOR AIR FLOW. Otherwise, the super light thin aluminum spars can barely cut my skin.. They and the plastic are strictly to keep air flow outside the cabin. Nothing more. Once again, I am still considering bumper style bars extending inside the fender just to minimize bumping damage. i had discussed these in depth years ago.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:22 AM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
Machinists always hold it up.. but a good one is worth the wait!

Lincoln is a good solid supplier, Hobart and Miller are less solid.. make sure whatever you buy is recently made, and comes with certs... don't settle for second rate supplies or you will get what you pay for....
Why not just get the mount XSChop makes that is semi solid or filling your stock mount with urethane.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:45 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 86 951 Driver
Why not just get the mount XSChop makes that is semi solid or filling your stock mount with urethane.
I have one on order, mine will be the first shipped out of his next batch (in work).. but the lead time was longer than I was willing ot wait, and the 1st one I purchased was available before he got back to me.. so I bought it.. should have it in hand next week (I hope)..

Origional mount has been long gone (went to landfill 2 1/2 years ago).. I replacing a LR solid mount with a semi solid, and my solid mount has already been spoken for, as soon as the replacement is in hand, the solid comes off and gets shipped to its new owner...
Old 02-12-2011, 04:07 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 500 Posts

any update on the tube?
Old 02-12-2011, 06:51 PM
anders44
Three Wheelin'

ref discussion on solid mounts, I have bad experience with it, I "lost" one side of my traverse for transmission mount on spa-francorchamps, in a turn!! the other side was almost off the car as well when we checked it on jacks after getting towed to pit. bolts were mounted with loctite, and inspected a few days before!

so.. I need a new mount now with some rubber in it, stock mount is silly though, transmission moves like its suspended in a rubberchord. I cant have more than a few MM movements with the new engine in.

cool project btw. alu welding is weird without preheat, so hard to get it good, once up to temp.. sooo easy

Quick Reply: Building Aluminum Torque Tube.