Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

eBay Broadfoot 3.0 motor, thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 06:11 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by hevquip
Broadfoot engines are the only 3.0 liter turbo-prepped builds I see pop up for sale, seems the other vendors and builders build turbo 3.0 only if you ask for one first? I guess it weeds out the people who aren't serious or committed enough about the work and price, but I thought it would be easier by now to track down 3.0 turbo-prepped long blocks. It would be really cool to see a lot more people get encouraged to do 3.0 builds, but I guess there's only so many 3.0 liter blocks out there and so few third parties with the time and resources to build them for the people who can't.
I don't think that's the case. The pictures are old and as I understand it they don't stock the engines either, they build on order.
And given my eariler experiences with Broadfoot I wouldn't expect a fast delivery... but unfortunately that's the norm for all builders..
Old 01-15-2011, 09:07 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

The concept of an “off the shelf” 3.0 turbo is amusing at best. I could see 2.5 being done that way but once you really get into a 3.0 build the engine becomes a custom design. Any good custom engine design should be done with the customers goals in mind.

I would guess that the 3.0 ebay auctions are just another method to get people to contact the builder directly. I am not really looking of that type of customer….
Old 01-15-2011, 10:42 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ModdedEverything951S
The people to build 3L engines are ready and willing to do so as long as there are customers with money. Money becomes the biggest factor (from the customer standpoint). 3L 944 turbos are a niche market (even smaller than the 951 market) so it's understandable why LR or CW don't have engine ready to go "on the shelf."
Well said Darwin...

When a proper 3L build is more than 2X the value of the car.. it becomes a select few who will pony up the cash to do it...

even fewer who will do all supporting mods, a proper 2.5L, and wait to do the proper 3L...
Old 01-15-2011, 11:27 AM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
even fewer who will do all supporting mods, a proper 2.5L, and wait to do the proper 3L...
Exactly! I've seen and talked to quite a few people considering 3L builds. Not all of them realize that when you are doing something like this to a 20+ year old car, other things need to be addressed as well. I was talking to someone who said it best when I showed them my excel spreadsheet. They said "I can see why it costs so much, as you are treating it more as a whole car build rather than just an engine build."
Old 01-15-2011, 11:31 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ModdedEverything951S
Exactly! I've seen and talked to quite a few people considering 3L builds. Not all of them realize that when you are doing something like this to a 20+ year old car, other things need to be addressed as well. I was talking to someone who said it best when I showed them my excel spreadsheet. They said "I can see why it costs so much, as you are treating it more as a whole car build rather than just an engine build."
Well, mine is getting SAEMS, modern knock control, full sequential, individual coils, fully upgraded fuel system, LSD, suspension, chassis mods, etc..etc..etc.. all for my lowly 2.5 L build... the 3L will wait, but rest of the car will be ready and waiting for a 3L to "drop in" once I make that move... 6K in engine prep, 10K in chassis prep, and sticking with the 2.5 for now... later on will bring a 16V 3+L... I am trying to ensure a good basis for accepting the 3L so at the most I will need a fuel rail, headders, turbo, and new clutch.. already have a lead on an S2 motor.. but cant stomach the full cost right now...

I feel you on the holistic approach vs throwing a motor in and wondering why it never performs properly...
Old 01-17-2011, 04:23 AM
944CS
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

man he's willing to let it go for $8200 complete?

He must be starvin'

Quick Reply: eBay Broadfoot 3.0 motor, thoughts?