Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Stone Guard removal update

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 01:37 PM
exe30
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tried using the 3M eraser wheel alone (Bought from Amazon) and there was way too much melting and grief. 1986 Turbo.

One major caution with the eraser wheel - DON'T LET IT CONTACT THE RUBBERY ROCKER PAINT! You'll scrape away the top color layer and destroy some of the rubbery layer and you'll have a mess on your hands.

I ended up doing it in 3 stages with a heat gun, eraser wheel, and rubbing alcohol.

1) Heat gun and plastic scraper to remove as much of the vinyl and adhesive as possible. A much thinner layer of adhesive will be left which is much more manageable for the wheel.

Picture below shows before and after heat-gun and scraping.

Name:  IMG_7403.jpg
Views: 1507
Size:  165.4 KB

2) Use the 3M wheel to spin the remaining adhesive into gobs, and use the heat gun again to remove the big gobs.

Name:  IMG_7405.jpg
Views: 1506
Size:  144.4 KB

3) Use rubbing alcohol to remove any remaining bits and pieces. Took me about 4 hours to do the whole car.

Old 06-19-2015, 03:00 PM
azbanks
Freedom Enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I used a heat gun and plastic scraped followed by goo-be-gone. I wasn't fun but it got the job done.

The big issue with my car is that the POS PO had the car painted with the stone guards ON the car.

My car needed a good repaint, now it REALLY needs a good repaint.
Old 01-28-2019, 01:35 PM
paver
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

A plastic scraper and 3m adhesive remover spray worked well for me. I had tried a heat gun and Goo Gone gel. The heat gun made the plastic part of the stone guard come off pretty easy with a scraper but that leaves all the old adhesive behind...which is the hard part.So yesterday I went to work on one of the big ones ahead of the rear wheel. It came off fairly quick with just a scraper followed by the 3m remover. The sun had warmed the old stone guard to a good temperature so I didn't even use the heat gun. Keeping a fresh edge on the scraper helps...they are cheap so buy extra. In about 20 minutes all the film was off and after that the 3m makes quick work of the goo with no paint damage. 3m is much much better than Goo Gone gel that's for sure. It's amazing how much better the car looks with these things gone.
Old 01-30-2019, 02:01 PM
finally!
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Hmmm.. the 86 turbo I bought a week ago came with magnetic stone guards, pretty nifty. Easy on and off
Old 01-30-2019, 08:43 PM
PaulD_944S2
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Way too hard, here's a simple and easy way to strip this stuff off paint. It works for both the side molding adhesive and the plastic chip protection panels over the wheel arches and in front of the rear wheel wells.

Buy some WD40 (I like the gallon size, it's not that expensive and you can use it for lots of other things), and plastic chisels/scrapers.

Here's Harbor Freight's scraper example, but you can find on Amazon and in home stores.
https://www.harborfreight.com/4-piec...set-95832.html
https://www.harborfreight.com/wd-40-...ant-62232.html

Spray the area you will work on with a light misting of WD40 and let it sit for a few minutes, or up to 1/2 hour if you can restrain yourself. You can also brush it on, but spray is faster.

Grab one of the two medium sized scrappers and angle it parallel to the paint but with the edge touching the body. Use short, slow, forceful strokes to scrape the adhesive off on the side molding, or the plastic surface of the stone chip protectors. Experiment, you will find the right motion.

Re-apply WD40 as needed, it will act as a lubricant on the paint and a solvent on the adhesive. The WD40 will have no effect on your paint and it washes off with soap and water.

The adhesive should break down and become gummy, so some old rags to clean the scrapper are helpful. You may want to put some cardboard or newspaper down if you are on a driveway for easier cleanup.

For the plastic stone chip protectors, once the plastic is scraped off, spray more WD40 over the adhesive and it will begin to dissolve and come off with the scraper. The longer you can leave the WD40 to soak into the adhesive, the easier it comes off, up to a point, typically 20-30 minutes. Spray one area and scrape in another.

You can use a soft rag or old microfiber towel with some WD40 on it to clean up any stubborn patches of adhesive. Wash with soap, polish the paint, and then wax. Perfection!

I'm NOT responsible for anything you do!
No warranty of any kind expressed or implied.
Use at your own risk.

Enjoy!

Quick Reply: Stone Guard removal update