Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

shift linkage options

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 05:56 PM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts
Default shift linkage options

I have a beautiful Kevin Gross built AOR tranny with a S2 r&p and a Lindsey short shift lever, all of it is extremely nice, in my street driven and occasional DE '87 951. However, I am still not quite happy with the shifting, especially after having an '09 and '10 MINI Cooper S and having just flogged the heck out of a '10 997 Carrera S (a BUNCH of fun but a whole 'nuther story). It really feels like I have to fight my shifter, especially during downshifts.

I haven't put the car in the air yet to take a look at adjusting shift linkage, but before I did, I thought I'd see if anyone here has any opinions on some of the various short shifters out there. I know the Schnell units were popular for a short while and then just as quickly fell out fo favor due to some issues that some folks were reporting. Anyone care to make a suggestion or comment?

I am more concerned with precise and smooth shifting, as opposed to shortening the throws.
Old 12-24-2010, 06:43 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

There are a few different versions of the short throw linkages floating around. I have an uber old one from 944Racing which i originally had on my n/a and then put on my 951. Its going strong still at well over 50k miles and 5-6 years. I personally really like the feel, even brand new everything with the stock shift linkage it was too mushy for my liking. The short throw linkage really tightens things up and is an improvement, but its not for everyone as it does increase shift effort (makes things more notchy, not a bad thing in my opinion). The reduced throw is nice also..stock throw is too long for me.

I dont know the longevity of the Schnell linkage but i mostly remember the complaints being about the hole for the locking bolt were drilled in the wrong spot. D9 also makes a very nice linkage that looks of very high quality and if i ever needed another this would be my choice. Autothority made an adjustable one but last i checked with them it was on indefinite backorder (this was probably 5 years ago).

The other option is the shift block that modifies the original linkage, no experience with that but i seem to remember people liked that.
Old 12-24-2010, 07:20 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I personally don't like the throw of the schnell shifter when compared to the old autothority or weltmeister shifters. I think for a 944, you car shifts very nicely Scott, and I don't think I would change it. Unless your rod is starting to wallow out a bit, I don't think you will ever get the feel of a new car with a setup that uses a long rod and uses the style of shifting mechanism at the transaxle that the 944 does. Porsche has used cables since the boxster, and the mechanism of shifting between gears is done by a straight pull or push on the linkage at the transmission, unlike the 944 which not only uses a front to rear motion, but also a side to side on the linkage.
Old 12-24-2010, 07:37 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

You dont think its an oil type issue? I found that effected the shifting smoothness significantly.
Old 12-24-2010, 08:05 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Get rid of the short shift kit. Make sure your shift lever's pin isn't worn. That's about as good as it's going to get.
Old 12-25-2010, 02:04 AM
LS1Porch
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really like the way the short shifter firmed up the gear selection, and i also did some shift pin bushings up at the shift lever.

Bottom line though, the 944 isn't a very smooth shifting car. I'm not sure you could ever make it shift like a modern car.
Old 12-25-2010, 02:43 AM
User 41221
Banned

Originally Posted by PorscheDoc
I personally don't like the throw of the schnell shifter when compared to the old autothority or weltmeister shifters. I think for a 944, you car shifts very nicely Scott, and I don't think I would change it. Unless your rod is starting to wallow out a bit, I don't think you will ever get the feel of a new car with a setup that uses a long rod and uses the style of shifting mechanism at the transaxle that the 944 does. Porsche has used cables since the boxster, and the mechanism of shifting between gears is done by a straight pull or push on the linkage at the transmission, unlike the 944 which not only uses a front to rear motion, but also a side to side on the linkage.
Remember the outcome you predicted prior to Barber? I think its starting to manifest... lol
Old 12-25-2010, 11:11 AM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

well you know, there just happens to be a very cool boxster spyder sitting up on Aristocrats showroom floor.....or at least there was one a few weeks ago.
Old 12-26-2010, 10:57 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1Porch
I really like the way the short shifter firmed up the gear selection, and i also did some shift pin bushings up at the shift lever.

Bottom line though, the 944 isn't a very smooth shifting car. I'm not sure you could ever make it shift like a modern car.
I’ll disagree on that one – if all the parts are in good shape its one of the nicest shifting / clutch packages out there. Finger tip shifting that is very smooth and accurate. Once you start modding the clutch, mounts and other things it does not get better…

If you want the boy racer short pattern with a stiff notchy feel then you may be playing with the wrong car….

BTW – 95% of all 944’s have a worn shift lever – it gets ovalized easily and then you will have lots of slop. New shift levers at $35. If you let it go for a long time it will ovalize the shift rod – and you have to pull the transaxle out to get that replaced!
Old 12-26-2010, 11:46 AM
67King
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sh944
I haven't put the car in the air yet to take a look at adjusting shift linkage
Take a look underneath it. I had one of the mount bolts actually back out on my car, and the linkage was hitting it. It go so bad that it popped out of 4th on a had decel on the track once. It had been gradually getting worse, so I hadn't noticed it until then. But the first thing you should do, IMHO, is make sure everything is in order. This would also include the mount underneath the shifter.
Old 12-26-2010, 05:09 PM
User 41221
Banned

I have the adjustable shift lever from Lindsey, which is very nice and I am sure the rod isn't wallowed out. I have the factory linkage at the tranny. I'll throw it up on the lift shortly and check it out, I am guessing if something isn't right, thats where I will find it.

My basis for comparison is the newer cars I have been driving. I hope I can get it closer to feeling like those than it currently does. I suspect Karl is right, the dual plane shifting of the 951 won't keep up with the one plane shifting of the newer cars, regardless of what I can do.

Chris, on my next trip out east, I *promise* I will make time to drop by and say "hi". I'd love to check out some of your toys.
Old 12-26-2010, 07:06 PM
pettybird
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

come drive my 924 Turbo with the snailshell transmission and you'll be begging for your 944 back

Quick Reply: shift linkage options