Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Help: Audi 01X Swap

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 05:41 PM
GTSilver944
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Help: Audi 01X Swap

I'm attempting to swap an Audi 01X into my '84 NA. (Thought the turbo forum would be a better place to post for this kind of thing). Currently the issues are:

1. Coupler -

A. I was under the impression that Porsche used a 1" x 24 spline coupler while Audi used a 13/16" x 23 spline coupler. However, the 01X appears to have 24 spine shaft that is slightly smaller than 1" but much larger than 13/16". I'll have a more exact measurement soon. I was planning on making a coupler that was half stock 944 coupler and half snail shell 924 coupler, but the 01X appearantly isn't the same as the 924.

B. The other issues with the 01X shaft is that the end is made for a pilot bearing and it thus will have less surface area in contact with the coupler. It also does not have a notch cut in for the coupler bolt.

2. Trans mounts - This should be the easiest part. I need to mill an adapter that will bolt onto the stock early 944 mounts. Any thoughts on an appropriate material (steel vs aluminum and what grade)? I'll post pictures of the available bolt holes on the 01X.

3. CV's - The Audi flange measures 104 mm across for the CV bolts. Does anyone know what the 016 measurement is? It looked roughly around 85mm. My plan was to make an adapter like this http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h2...602750x562.jpg but I realized that the Audi flanges have a different offset than the 016. The 016 has the flanges each 13.5 cm from the center of the box. The 01X has the passenger side at ~12 cm and the driver's side at ~15 cm from the center. I could lathe an adapter for the passenger side but for the driver side I need to either have the axle shortened or have a custom axle made. Does anyone have experience with this kind of stuff?

4. Shift Linkage - I want to figure out the other issues before I attempt this...

5. Length - The Audi box is slightly longer than the 016. I'll need to cut into the spare tire area. Would there be any problems with cutting a notch out of the spare tire well then welding new metal to cover the hole or maybe using fiberglass?

I'll post pics and more exact measurements to make this less confusing. The 01X is a 6 speed with a similar ratio to the NA box. It's from a FWD A4.

I have access to a machine shop and my roommate (a VW guy) is a mechanical engineer, so I'm happy to make parts - just need ideas. Please let me know if you have any thoughts on the issues.

Quick Reply: Help: Audi 01X Swap