Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Where there any 951 edition available from different tuners?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 03:32 PM
KSira
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Where there any 951 edition available from different tuners?

Coming from the BMW community where there is a lot of special high powered edition available from different tuners. I'm wondering if it was the same with the 951? In the quest of making my 951 street legal with LS1, any reference to such cars is desperately needed. Even a chipped one would do nicely.
Old 12-06-2010, 04:43 PM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AFAIK there wasn't. Someone here might be able to let you know.
Old 12-06-2010, 05:07 PM
pettybird
Burning Brakes

have you not seen renegade hybrids, etc?

what kind of tuner are you looking for? Lyndsey, SFR, etc have all built big power 951's.
Old 12-06-2010, 05:15 PM
KSira
Racer

Originally Posted by KSira
Coming from the BMW community where there is a lot of special high powered edition available from different tuners. I'm wondering if it was the same with the 951? In the quest of making my 951 street legal with LS1, any reference to such cars is desperately needed. Even a chipped one would do nicely.
Originally Posted by pettybird
have you not seen renegade hybrids, etc?

what kind of tuner are you looking for? Lyndsey, SFR, etc have all built big power 951's.
I thinking more in the line of tuners that sold new vehicles like RUF for Porsche, or Alpina and Hartge for BMW. Because they are according to European car specifications (TÜV and Dekra)
Old 12-06-2010, 05:17 PM
iJeremy
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the way you've posed the question could be confusing. As pettybird stated there are plenty of tuners out there... Renegade has a number of options to suit your style with the bow-tie power. As far as Factory-Tuned cars that went through Special Wishes, Gemballa, Hamman, Rinnspeed, etc... brand new and still running around in good condition, no... You're going to have to look for something tuned in the aftermarket.
Old 12-06-2010, 11:49 PM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

Going back to the early days of teh 944, there was Calloway, who turbo'd 944n/a's. They also did a couple of turbo'd 944S with the 16 valve engine. It was a pretty cool car, and I am pretty sure one of them is still terrorizing the local Chicago tracks at various DE's.

Look around, they are out there. Not nearly as popular in the US as I believe they were in Europe, tho.
Old 12-07-2010, 12:34 AM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 38 Posts

Other than Callaway, I can't think of any.
There was a guy that claimed to have an RUF 944 sometime ago...car was pretty much a beat to hell 944 with an RUF badge. RUF said they had serviced some 944's but never done any special edition cars in response to someone asking about it.
Old 12-07-2010, 06:09 AM
KSira
Racer

Originally Posted by iJeremy
I think the way you've posed the question could be confusing. As pettybird stated there are plenty of tuners out there... Renegade has a number of options to suit your style with the bow-tie power. As far as Factory-Tuned cars that went through Special Wishes, Gemballa, Hamman, Rinnspeed, etc... brand new and still running around in good condition, no... You're going to have to look for something tuned in the aftermarket.
you are absolutely right. Will try an clarify.

In Europe (in this case Norway) we need to document that a the chassis of the car can handle the added HP. The simple way of doing this is to refer to a tuned small scale series sold as new cars. Because they have had to fulfil the requirements to make a car road legal (E.G safety, emissions etc..).
Old 12-07-2010, 07:51 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Strosek....and it was, in my opinion, butt ugly!
Old 12-07-2010, 07:56 AM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In Europe (in this case Norway) we need to document that a the chassis of the car can handle the added HP
Your best reference is 944 Turbo CUP cars. None of the european turnes had 944 power versions. All modifications were just cosmetic, like Gemballa, Strosek, D&W, Zender, Foha, Brixner etc.etc.
You can use for example French CUP cars power figure, which was 300hp. Would be far more easier to build cars if you Norweigan join the EU
Old 12-07-2010, 08:17 AM
KSira
Racer

Originally Posted by Olli Snellman
Your best reference is 944 Turbo CUP cars. None of the european turnes had 944 power versions. All modifications were just cosmetic, like Gemballa, Strosek, D&W, Zender, Foha, Brixner etc.etc.
You can use for example French CUP cars power figure, which was 300hp. Would be far more easier to build cars if you Norweigan join the EU
Thank you for the tip, will give it a try. Regarding, EU I think we are better of without it, and with the car hating government we have, I seriously doubt that it would be easier to build cars.

EDIT: Is it possible to find any official information from Porsche? Google did not return anything.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:23 AM
pettybird
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by KSira
you are absolutely right. Will try an clarify.

In Europe (in this case Norway) we need to document that a the chassis of the car can handle the added HP. The simple way of doing this is to refer to a tuned small scale series sold as new cars. Because they have had to fulfil the requirements to make a car road legal (E.G safety, emissions etc..).
can you go forward a generation? Think about the 968 Turbo S cars...that's a lot of extra horsepower on the identical chassis.

what do you need to certify? are you building cars for sale? if it were me I'd run a big turbo, a ported intake, a stealth MAF in the stock location, all stock appearing parts under the hood, an M030 suspension, 993 cup II wheels and big blacks for brakes. get a bigger exhaust from your favorite dealer, and let some idiot at the government point out which Porsche parts don't belong on YOUR Porsche.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:40 AM
Scott H
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah, take a look a the 968 Turbo and Turbo RS cars. Even then, modern technology has eclipsed early 90s Porsche technology and you can make more power than Porsche did in the 90s, easily.
Old 12-08-2010, 02:45 AM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

imho Porsche had all possibility to make more power to these cars back then. But they did not and we all know why
Old 12-08-2010, 08:58 AM
EVOMMM
Rennlist Member

Received 1,676 Likes on 981 Posts

being an M3 1st edition owner i know where you are coming from and the answer is NO or I should say not any willing to do the job then or now because the the 944 as a whole was not respected enough at Porsche or the German racing community
but i love my track *** kicker M3 and we have so many tuners to choose from for the BMW
but its not as refined a ride as my 88 Turbo S they travel in 2 different circles
Mike

Quick Reply: Where there any 951 edition available from different tuners?