Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Upper balance shaft

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 01:48 AM
minho78
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upper balance shaft

Hi, I have a leak in the rear seal of the Upper balance shaft. What do you guys suggest to fix this? I heard some people stating just putting RTV outside would fix the problem. Is this ture.
Old 12-06-2010, 02:03 AM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Manny, haven't done this myself, however, I have removed a balance shaft cover that wasn't leaking oil that had, at one time, been fixed by adding RTV to the rear of the seal. I guess it depends on what kind of setup you have (exhaust turbo inlet/outlet V-Bands) as to how easy it is to properly replace that seal (as in removing the balance shaft cover) when you're already at it close enough to add RTV. I would personally replace the seal if I were already in there, but I'm working with an easily removed turbo. With a stock setup I might risk the leak over some extra work.
Old 12-06-2010, 02:09 AM
minho78
Burning Brakes

Derek, I removed the intake and now it should be fairly easy to do it. Do I have to remove the complete balance shaft or just the cover ?
Thanks
Old 12-06-2010, 02:25 AM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You'll have to remove the cover to replace the seal. This means you, at least, must remove the front balance shaft pulley to remove the front bearing case (the nose of the balance shaft that is a circular 3 bolt piece). You might be able to slide it out enough, without removing the rear timing cover, to get the balance shaft cover off. But because you have an 86, the bearing cap is not integrated into your cover. That makes this easier for you, the balance shaft will stay in place when you remove the cover. What I can't remember is whether, with a small k26/6 you need to remove the turbo to get to the cover. You'll at least need to remove the oil feed. It's been a long time since I've wrenched on a k26 powered car. Normally I need to remove the turbo because of the larger hotsides on the cars I've been in recently.

Take a look at this for more info:

http://clarks-garage.com/shop-manual/eng-14.htm

You'll at least need the black o-ring on the back of the nose of the balance shaft housing, the front balance shaftseal, loctite 574, the small circular seal that goes between the balance shaft bearing cap and cover, the two crush rings for the turbo oil feed banjo and the rear plug o-ring.

So in a nutshell, might try that RTV.
Old 12-06-2010, 02:44 AM
minho78
Burning Brakes

Funny thing is that I just went to check the cap fo looseness, and only crap I think that thing Is going to pop out.
Old 12-06-2010, 02:35 PM
running_cold924
Racer

i did mine with the turbo out, it would have been impossible if it were still in. i didn't mess with any of the belts either. replaced the o-ring and used a good silicone/rtv and have no leaks. AS for the BOTTOM one, I was not pulling it off cuz that is a major PITA job, so I did the rtv trick for that one. let it sit for a good day or 2 and let all the oil behind the cap leak. when its good and dry, rtv it and let it dry for a day or 2 as well. no leaks on that one either

I will say for the upper cover though, I did grind the one corner a but that is sort of tight beside the A/C and alternator mount so it was easier to get back together.
Old 12-07-2010, 03:25 AM
minho78
Burning Brakes

New Oring installed and complete. While I'm in there I'm installing my Blue LR antifreeze hoses. I have a K26/6 in the car and a K27/6 that I might throw in there. The K27/6 has a 7006 Compressor and it's almost double the 26/6. Should I install it?
Old 12-07-2010, 03:47 AM
MooreBoost
Three Wheelin'

Received 23 Likes on 7 Posts

no you should use it as a paper weight..

i would install it. why not?
Old 12-07-2010, 04:02 AM
minho78
Burning Brakes

I'm always scared about what other people say. It has a little shaft play and I didn't want to dish another $400 dollars on a rebuild.
Old 12-07-2010, 04:17 AM
MooreBoost
Three Wheelin'

Received 23 Likes on 7 Posts

it will have some play with no oil. if your willing to do the work to change it out if it smokes i say bolt it up
Old 12-07-2010, 05:57 PM
minho78
Burning Brakes

I'm going to have the turbo checked out be Cheatah turbo. The guy claims he's very familiar with these turbo's and the new K16 and k24's. We'll see.

Quick Reply: Upper balance shaft