Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Issues w/ installing the AC compressor and Alternator

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2010 | 07:49 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Default Issues w/ installing the AC compressor and Alternator

Hey Guys
Are there any tricks to installing these on the bracket ... I am having an issue trying to get on the AC compressor on to the bracket it hangs from ( to say its a tight fit is an understatement.... And I assume the Alternator will pose the same problem ... There must be a trick that you wrench heads out there know to help get this on .... It's either that, or I gotta get back to the gym, and Hans & Frans some ....
TIA
Ed
Old 12-01-2010 | 08:00 PM
gruhsy
Drifting

Did you powder coat that piece?

Jason
Old 12-01-2010 | 08:32 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gruhsy
Did you powder coat that piece?

Jason
Hey Jason
Actually no ... I just cleaned it ... I am thinking of using a jack cushioned from underneath and seeing if that will push it in... I wish it were warmer here, than I could do the hot and cold thing, and that may make the difference here ...
I didn't want to heat the bracket as its sealed ( except were the contacts are, with Zoop seal ) There must me a trick here...
This thing is tighter than a clams *** under water ....
Regards
Ed
Old 12-01-2010 | 09:43 PM
spanky
Rennlist Member

No trick involved, take a file and file down the mounting ears on the new compressor/ alteenator by hand a tiny bit until you still have a snug fit but can still push the compressor / alternator into place by hand. Keep the file and the filed surface flat/ even. Do not use a grinder as you do not want to remove more metal than is req'd to get the snug fit. Do not file the mounting bracket bolted to the engine as the next compressor or alternator replacments may be the exact same size as the ones that you removed today.
Old 12-01-2010 | 11:54 PM
CurtP
Drifting

There's no need to grind or file anything. Look at the aft mounting ear on the bracket. There's a bushing that needs to be knocked back a little to make room for the compressor. I just take a long extension and give a good whack or two. When you install the compressor and tighten the rear bolt, it will pull that bushing back into place.
Old 12-01-2010 | 11:56 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by spanky
No trick involved, take a file and file down the mounting ears on the new compressor/ alteenator by hand a tiny bit until you still have a snug fit but can still push the compressor / alternator into place by hand. Keep the file and the filed surface flat/ even. Do not use a grinder as you do not want to remove more metal than is req'd to get the snug fit. Do not file the mounting bracket bolted to the engine as the next compressor or alternator replacments may be the exact same size as the ones that you removed today.
Actually its not a new compressor, it's my old one ... it's like Winnie the Pooh:It ate to much honey and can't get out of the rabbit's hole
I really didn't want to take a file to it ....
Old 12-01-2010 | 11:59 PM
CurtP
Drifting

Oh, forgot to mention - the alternator will have a busing too, but it's on the alternator, not the bracket.
Old 12-02-2010 | 12:16 AM
spanky
Rennlist Member

What CurtP says is true if the bushing is the cause of your problem. Since this is your old unit being reinstalled I agree with him as it did fit before removal. In my case this bushing had already been tapped back by me until its leading edge was inside of the bracket mounting ear and the compressor still would not fit. The only thing stopping it from being fit into place was a slight diff in the thickness of the ears on both the compressor and altrnater compared to my removed units and both new units had come off of of anther car.The diff was confirmed by measurment so out came the file. Good luck with your installation.
Old 12-02-2010 | 12:23 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CurtP
There's no need to grind or file anything. Look at the aft mounting ear on the bracket. There's a bushing that needs to be knocked back a little to make room for the compressor. I just take a long extension and give a good whack or two. When you install the compressor and tighten the rear bolt, it will pull that bushing back into place.
That's what I tried to do before I did this post but since it's mounted I tried to use a clamp and see if that would push it out .. it didn't budge .... but maybe I didn't turn it tight enough ... But now that you tell me it moves, I will try to tackle it another way, I don't know if I can get a clean shot with the bracket mounted on the block but will try
Thanks Curt
Regards
Ed
Old 12-02-2010 | 12:24 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Oh, forgot to mention - the alternator will have a busing too, but it's on the alternator, not the bracket.
Great info thanks
Old 12-02-2010 | 12:26 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

What CurtP says is true if the bushing is the cause of your problem. Since this is your old unit being reinstalled I agree with him as it did fit before removal. In my case this bushing had already been tapped back by me until its leading edge was inside of the bracket mounting ear and the compressor still would not fit. The only thing stopping it from being fit into place was a slight diff in the thickness of the ears on both the compressor and altrnater compared to my removed units and both new units had come off of of anther car.The diff was confirmed by measurment so out came the file. Good luck with your installation.
Got ya
Thanks
Spanky
Old 12-02-2010 | 12:28 AM
CurtP
Drifting

That bushing goes all the way through. If you used just a clamp, you may have just squeezed both sides of the bushing and it won't go anywhere. It takes a pretty good whack to move it, but you don't need to move it much.
Old 12-02-2010 | 12:41 AM
spanky
Rennlist Member

When I tapped my bushing back I used a very short section ( 1 in long ) of solid brass rod and a small hammer.
Old 12-02-2010 | 02:07 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

That bushing goes all the way through. If you used just a clamp, you may have just squeezed both sides of the bushing and it won't go anywhere. It takes a pretty good whack to move it, but you don't need to move it much.
Actually I canted the clamp so it wouldn't hit the back part of the bushing ... probably why I couldn't really jump on it... I'll try to give it a whack
Thanks

When I tapped my bushing back I used a very short section ( 1 in long ) of solid brass rod and a small hammer.
Bought an longer one from Harbor Freight... I'll try that
Thanks
Ed
Old 12-03-2010 | 03:18 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Default Well I tried hitting that bushing ...

Hey Guys
Just an update Thought this might help the next person that attempts to do this
I whacked the crap outta that bushing .. it didn't move
So, I decided to use my floor jack and it worked like a charm
I rubbed the contact points with Tri Flow just to insure it will slide easier
Here is a pic
Best regards
Ed
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: Issues w/ installing the AC compressor and Alternator