Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Wastegate Outlet Muffler

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 06:15 AM
Black51
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ihaza944t
I like it loud. Open wastegate+mostly stock exhaust has scared the crap out of a few hondas
Alas, most of the rest of us do also, except police!
Old 12-01-2010, 08:07 AM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 409 Posts

Originally Posted by aben8057
Mike,

Can you elaborate on the power gains and benefits from dumping to atmosphere?

Thanx
I'm interested in that too. Is it worth doing it or not?
Old 12-01-2010, 08:36 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

sweet, now i dont need to scare people down the road when i give it a little squirt...
Old 12-01-2010, 09:08 AM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ihaza944t
I like it loud. Open wastegate+mostly stock exhaust has scared the crap out of a few hondas
+1

Although it is not that loud and only at WOT full boost and at that point I am not worried about it. lol

But if the muffler kit gets people to go with wg dump, then that is cool.

Here is mine with windows open:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRTGqxiUeac
Old 12-01-2010, 03:59 PM
dirtyTurbo
Pro

Originally Posted by toddk911
+1

Although it is not that loud and only at WOT full boost and at that point I am not worried about it. lol

But if the muffler kit gets people to go with wg dump, then that is cool.

Here is mine with windows open:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRTGqxiUeac
Can you tell about your setup? Mine is much different than that, or maybe its just the video.
Old 12-01-2010, 04:02 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

In terms of exhaust it is just a 3" cat back and flowmaster 40 muffler with wg dump.
Old 12-01-2010, 04:56 PM
dirtyTurbo
Pro

Originally Posted by toddk911
In terms of exhaust it is just a 3" cat back and flowmaster 40 muffler with wg dump.
Huh. Mine is more night and day with it open and doesn't differ much with throttle position. I'll make a video at some point
Old 12-01-2010, 06:43 PM
Baptizo
This didn't cost
me any drachmas
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm somewhat familiar with the concept after having an O2 dump on a 1g DSM - it did help with the mid-top end performance.

I'd love to find out how this setup helps a 951.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:00 PM
pudges951
Racer

I have been contemplating dumping the wastegate for the last couple of months, this might just convince me to do it. I do want to know difference in numbers, as well as sound difference.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:25 PM
TurboTommy
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aben8057
Mike,

Can you elaborate on the power gains and benefits from dumping to atmosphere?

Thanx
The exhaust flow interference caused by the wastegate flow tie-in into the main pipe results in higher pressure before the turbine to operate at the same pressure ratio.
Therefore, get rid of the wastegate flow and you'll have less back pressure on the engine.
Old 12-02-2010, 02:16 AM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

Mike, do you have any audio clips or videos comparing this?
I'm not sure how effective what looks to be a maybe 6-8" long straight-thru glasspack style muffler is going to be at giving a significant dBA reduction over a straight dump.

I like the idea, but it would be nice to know how effective it really is. I would be interested if it really works.
Old 12-02-2010, 10:59 AM
Mike Lindsey
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by alxdgr8
Mike, do you have any audio clips or videos comparing this?
I'm not sure how effective what looks to be a maybe 6-8" long straight-thru glasspack style muffler is going to be at giving a significant dBA reduction over a straight dump.

I like the idea, but it would be nice to know how effective it really is. I would be interested if it really works.
We don't have any video or audio. When we tried re-producing sounds on the web, your volume, speakers, etc... can change the sound, so it seems pointless. It never sounded like it actually sounded.

It's quieter then just dumping open, but not as quite as tying back in. Think in the middle. It would be a similar change in dB that you would get runing a exhaust with and without a muffler. It is a blow through. If you did chambered to be even quieter, then you destroying the preformance you're trying to gain. If you want totally quiet, try ear plugs.

We can do a 18" version versus this 12" but it will require a bracket be welded on the main exhaust pipe for support. This version attaches to stock exhaust hanger mount for support. If someone thinks they would want a 18" version, we will go ahead and build some (take 2-3 days), and put on the web site.
Other 1-405-947-0137
Old 12-02-2010, 11:33 AM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Mike: Do you have any data on quicker spool up or over all gains from the dump?

Like TurboTommy said this obvioulsy reduces back pressure which we know is always a good thing, but just curious how much performance is actually gained.
Old 12-02-2010, 12:41 PM
Mike Lindsey
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Let's try this from a common sense approach.

We don't know exactly how much of your exhaust (percentage wise) is flowing though the
wastegate versus the primary tube. 10, 15, 20% maybe more? We believe most cars when at WOT (and under boost), your wastegate is probably wide open. If you're running a dump to atmosphere set-up now, you can simply verify that with your own ears. There is no questions that it's open and seems to be the case on any level of build so far we have listened to. We find typically if using a DP WG, that your WG is starting to open once you reach 1/2 the total boost setting with the throttle WOT.

So based on that knowledge, if you're tied back in, you're adding that percentage of exhaust back into
your primary tube. That means you're putting more through the same pipe which is going to increase the
back pressure. So dumping to atmosphere has the same net effect as putting a larger primary tube exhaust system on the car without actually putting a larger primary tube exhaust system on the car.

So a stock exhaust may act like a 3", and a 3" may act like a 3.5", and a 4" might act like a 4.5" etc...
Even a 5" exhaust is going to have back pressure. The more HP (air to move), the more back pressure. And if you dump to atmosphere on the WG with whatever size you have, you improve the flow and reduce back pressure even more.

This product is all about doing something with the sound you get when you do dump to atmosphere which some might not find to their liking.

Last edited by Mike Lindsey; 12-02-2010 at 04:00 PM.
Old 12-02-2010, 04:06 PM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

Do you get much in the way of residual exhaust fumes in the car from having it exit directly under the car? Just curious.

Quick Reply: Wastegate Outlet Muffler