Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

AN fuel line

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 07:58 PM
gruhsy
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
Default AN fuel line

Anyone else out there use -8AN from the fuel pump to the fuel rail?

I am using a LR fuel rail.

Just curious about other peoples fuel line setups

Thanks,
Jason
Old 11-20-2010, 12:06 PM
ramius665
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In the August 2010 issue of 911 & Porsche World they had an article about replacing ALL of the fuel lines with braided stainless. RPM Technik (www.rpmtechnik.co.uk) sells a kit that starts at 299.00 GPB, or you could source the parts and build it yourself. The only interesting part of the RPM kit is the Wurth plastic brackets that replace the factory ones. I haven't looked at sourcing those yet but I'm seriously considering this project because all of my fuel lines are legally old enough to drink alcohol. Not a recipe for success. You can check out the link here: http://www.rpmtechnik.co.uk/porsche_...s/upgrades.php
Old 11-20-2010, 12:10 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

-8 is a little over kill for most applications.
You can source compression fittings and connect to the line in the wheel well and run whatever you want from there to the fuel rail.
Old 11-20-2010, 12:14 PM
ramius665
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chris, your description is the setup that I'm currently running. For the cost of about 20' of -6 AN braided line and a few fittings you can replace all of the fuel lines. Once I find a good supplier of the Wurth brackets I may make a few of these kits for interested parties. It's certainly not rocket science.
Old 11-20-2010, 12:20 PM
Fredrik H
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run -8 lines from the fuel pump (Fuelab) to the rail,(CEP). No problems except the threads on the brackets that hold the stock fuel lines are made of plastic that were 19 years old, kinda brittle. Fitting the pump in the stock location was a little trickier though.
Old 11-20-2010, 02:16 PM
gruhsy
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Sorry guys I guess I should have elaborated. I have actually completed my system with -8AN and the car is running well on it.
With the 72lbs/hr injectors I just wanted to make sure I was supplying enough fuel using the HV pump and not overworking the pump. I read some post on here and some people had mentioned wiring problems with the 044 overheating and it's bigger than my pump. They needed to re-wire for the pump.

I was using my knowledge of fire fighting pumps with my decision. Figure the same principles apply except fuel not water.
When we used the same fire pump "Wajax Mark 3" running both big inch and 1-1/2 line the difference was considerable. With big inch the pump had huge pressure and struggled to force the water through the line. With the 1-1/2 hose the pump still had close to the same pressure but delivered a hell of lot more water.

Pie R2 larger also means less frictional losses---less work for the pump.

So I have -6AN parts sitting in the basement that I bought from Lindsey Racing plus a tone of stuff from Jegs both -6AN and -8AN

I also bought for the HV pump from Pegasusautoracing.com the following

part # 3276-003 Male 12 x 1.5mm Metric Concave Seat to 6AN Male, Steel quantity 2 : 18.49 36.98
Item Total 36.98
Shipping 11.45
Tax 0.00
Order Total (all amounts in US Dollars) 48.43

I ordered a spare: Drilled out the stainless fittings as large as I could which was almost -8AN size.
Then had an adapter from -6AN to -8AN which I also drilled out.
Then a 90 degree -8AN fitting to a short section of braided line up to my filter.
The filter is a Canton from LR, but I bought -8AN fittings instead of LR -6AN fittings for it. Then braided -8AN line to the LR fuel rail.

I found the -8AN line easier to build than -6AN it just seemed easier to do the fittings on -8 than 6. Never worked with the stuff before.

Anyhow it's probably over kill but when I get to tunning I will se how the fuel delivery works out this is all new stuff for me. My first turbo only had chips and the rest was stock.
More curious if anyone with similar setup had any problems.

take care,
Jason
Old 11-21-2010, 03:02 PM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

-6 hose has an ID of .340" Most -6 fittings have a through hole of .300"

-8 hose has an ID of .440". Most -8 fittings have a through hole of .390" or 9.90mm

The factory line is 10mm OD with an ID of 8mm or .3150". The fittings are full flow so, they have the same ID as the hard lines.

That being said, the ID of a factory line is slightly larger than the through hole of a -6 fitting so, it is a very close. Probably fine for a stock car.

For the OP, I have a -8 supply and a -6 return, front to back with an 044 pump. I also used the factory fuel pump wires to feed a relay. This drives the 044 pump with a custom pump harness.

Before this, the factory wiring would be warm after running all day. The new setup stays cool. I believe another poster list the amp draws and of the factory wiring with an 044 pump and found the wiring to be undersized. Try a search for lister (the edge) and 044 pump wiring?

Quick Reply: AN fuel line