Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Replace the CAT on 2.5" Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 04:14 PM
spencang
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Replace the CAT on 2.5" Exhaust

I have a similiar question that was brought up in the "WTB 3" exhaust" thread, and I did not want to hijack that thread so. . .

I have been looking for a way to switch out the cat in my original exhaust, but it seems as though the only way to get the desired results is to just go ahead and get the full 3" exhaust with the sport cats.

Anyone have any other cost effective ideas?
Old 10-05-2010, 04:36 PM
Scott H
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Buy whatever cat you want online, take it to a muffler shop and have them weld it up. All told you'd be out of pocket ~$100 for the cat (or more, if you really want to splurge), and <$100 to have it installed, depending on the shop.

Or for $500: http://www.944online.com/cgi-bin/ASI...skukey_1000432
Old 10-05-2010, 05:12 PM
spencang
Rennlist Member

Unfortunately, I live in CA (see sig), and it is not that simple. I have not found a muffler shop yet that will "weld it up". That's why I was wondering if any company has a kit or something, or if anyone in the Bay Area knows of a shop that is willing to "weld it up"?

Anyone?
Old 10-05-2010, 06:24 PM
onspeed
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can't find an exhaust shop that will weld in a new cat for you?

CA is weird.
Old 10-05-2010, 07:13 PM
Scott H
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Magnaflow makes Cali-Specific Cats. On Summit they have: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MPE-36106/

I did a quick cross reference from Magnaflow's site and that is the one recommended for the 944 Turbo.

Maybe if you tell them it's Cali-Approved they'll be more inclined to help? Worse comes to worse you go to a not-so-good neighborhood and find a muffler shop there.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:21 PM
spanky
Rennlist Member

Received 740 Likes on 519 Posts

I also live in calif and I just removed mine yesterday. I keep 2 seprate pipe sections, One has the cat welded in place and the other has the cat removed, Takes abour 1 hr to switch them over. 9 bolts total and you are done.
Old 10-07-2010, 01:26 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Before I went with the 3" exhaust I just cut the cat out with a saw zaw and clamped in its place a piece of 2.5" straight pipe from the parts store.

Took about 30 min and cost about $7 and made a major difference.
Old 10-07-2010, 03:26 PM
spencang
Rennlist Member

I checked out the one on 944online and their is no info. on it. So I asked them some basic stuff, i.e. cell count, diameter, direct-replacement, and there response was "That's a good question. I will ask the manufacturer and get back to you."

that was Monday. . .

I am looking for a permanent solution, not hack, saw, bolt, unbolt, switch every 2 years, and was hoping someone had something and/or knows someone, etc. with knowledge of CA stringent smog testing.

I geuss the LR is the only viable example because I have gone to "poorer neighborhoods" and the muffler shops are scared to work on a porsche.
Old 10-07-2010, 04:00 PM
Djbrand1
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

LR, but there is also Fabspeed and SFR that offer some good quality options.
Old 10-07-2010, 10:18 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's what you want to do...

Buy the Bursch 2.5" test pipe. Buy the cat you want, take both to the muffler shop and have the cat cut in to the test pipe and welded up. Then take the piece home and swap it out with your stock piece.

Likewise, if you don't want to run a cat, just run the Bursch 2.5" test pipe alone.

What you DO NOT want to do is to cut out the stock cat and replace it with a straight pipe. What most people do not understand is that the factory pipe is double walled. And in the area where the factory pipe transitions from vertical to horizontal, the inner part of the pipe is crushed down considerably. You cannot see this from the outside.

That said, the performance benefit is partially from the cat removal, but mainly from eliminating the crushed section of factory exhaust.

The Bursch test pipe is a direct bolt in and costs about $250 new.

And I can tell you that an aftermarket boost controller, a Tial wastegate, and the Bursch test pipe will make the turbos in these cars hit 2x harder than they do now. It's great money spent.

TonyG
Old 10-07-2010, 11:38 PM
onspeed
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TonyG
Here's what you want to do...

Buy the Bursch 2.5" test pipe. Buy the cat you want, take both to the muffler shop and have the cat cut in to the test pipe and welded up. Then take the piece home and swap it out with your stock piece.

Likewise, if you don't want to run a cat, just run the Bursch 2.5" test pipe alone.

What you DO NOT want to do is to cut out the stock cat and replace it with a straight pipe. What most people do not understand is that the factory pipe is double walled. And in the area where the factory pipe transitions from vertical to horizontal, the inner part of the pipe is crushed down considerably. You cannot see this from the outside.

That said, the performance benefit is partially from the cat removal, but mainly from eliminating the crushed section of factory exhaust.

The Bursch test pipe is a direct bolt in and costs about $250 new.

And I can tell you that an aftermarket boost controller, a Tial wastegate, and the Bursch test pipe will make the turbos in these cars hit 2x harder than they do now. It's great money spent.

TonyG
Everything I read one of your posts, I learn something new. At what power levels will the 2.5'' test pipe become restrictive? It seems like everyone here says the $600 3'' exhaust is necessary to get rid of stock exhaust restrictions...

This sounds like the best solution to the OP's probably. And mine.
Old 10-08-2010, 11:45 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by onspeed
Everything I read one of your posts, I learn something new. At what power levels will the 2.5'' test pipe become restrictive? It seems like everyone here says the $600 3'' exhaust is necessary to get rid of stock exhaust restrictions...

This sounds like the best solution to the OP's probably. And mine.

Somewhere in the 350RWHP - 360RWHP ish...

TonyG
Old 10-08-2010, 12:25 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts

Tony's right on all counts. As for welding in a new cat, you can review the CARB rules and refer your muffler shop to the list of approved converters for "Pre-OBDII" cars published by the State of California and found here:

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermk...xemptcat09.pdf

And see this link for the related requirements:

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermk...ftermktcat.htm

In short, you have plenty of options. Just go to Summit's online catalog and you will see a number of weld-in converters that are CA-legal for pre-obdii cars like the 86 951.

Bursch test pipes are pretty well made and fit nicely. Probably best to install it in place, then have the muffler shop weld it the cat in place, so that you know it's the right length, fit, etc. Or, get yourself a mig welder.
Old 10-08-2010, 12:36 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 183 Likes on 108 Posts

If you go the Bursch route you can have V-bands welded on so you can remove the cat for 'off-road' use and swap in a straight pipe. I have an new Bursch TP sitting here I plan to have welded up once I get to that point.
Old 10-08-2010, 02:57 PM
spencang
Rennlist Member

Thanks Tony and Tom. That's what I was looking for!!

Quick Reply: Replace the CAT on 2.5" Exhaust