Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Head stud extractor...

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 10:11 PM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Head stud extractor...

What is the size/pitch of the snap on stud extractor for head studs?

I remember the thread containing this most valuable information, but the abyss has swallowed it!

Thanks,
Old 11-17-2010, 10:20 PM
beentherebaby
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The OE Porsche 944 head studs have an M12 x 1.50mm pitch thread. Be advised that these studs are held into the block with high temp Loctite so you'll likely need to heat the stud for awhile with a heatgun to soften the Loctite. Folks have snapped studs off trying to remove them with an impact wrench because they didn't heat/soften the Loctite first. You can also damage the threads in the block making for expensive repairs.
Old 11-17-2010, 10:25 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mark, what are you doing? The stock headstuds are pretty good...
Old 11-18-2010, 02:28 AM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

I need to remove them for the Nikasil.
Old 11-18-2010, 03:16 AM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Ah - I C.
Old 11-18-2010, 09:09 AM
Willard Bridgham 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

The stock head bolts are stretch bolts.

The ASME, AISC, SAE and all Engineering societies who certify fastener strength say not to reuse stretch bolts, ever. They have failed by definition the first time they are used.
Old 11-18-2010, 03:36 PM
xtaC
Racer

Originally Posted by beentherebaby
The OE Porsche 944 head studs have an M12 x 1.50mm pitch thread. Be advised that these studs are held into the block with high temp Loctite so you'll likely need to heat the stud for awhile with a heatgun to soften the Loctite. Folks have snapped studs off trying to remove them with an impact wrench because they didn't heat/soften the Loctite first. You can also damage the threads in the block making for expensive repairs.

I had zero issues when I did mine, and I used no heat at all.

https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...p+stud+remover
Old 11-18-2010, 03:45 PM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Willard Bridgham 3

The ASME, AISC, SAE and all Engineering societies who certify fastener strength say not to reuse stretch bolts, ever. They have failed by definition the first time they are used.
Yes but in reality people have re-used them plenty with no issues, including myself.
Old 11-18-2010, 03:49 PM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by xtaC
I had zero issues when I did mine, and I used no heat at all.

https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...p+stud+remover
That is exactly the thread I was looking for!!

Thank you very much.
Old 11-18-2010, 06:31 PM
beentherebaby
Racer

I try to help people help themselves by providing accurate tech info. People are free to use this information as they please or completely discard it.

I'm pretty sure those who have stripped the threads out of their 944 engine block or broken off the head studs trying to remove them, would have preferred to have known before hand that the studs were Loctited into the block and that heating the studs could have prevented the expensive engine damage that resulted?
Old 11-18-2010, 11:37 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 106 Posts

I had the machine shop that did up my head remove the OE studs on the block. They used heat once they knew the OE studs were set in Loctite. They also chased the threads with a flat bottom tap after to make sure they were clean and ready for the ARP's. I had heard tales of traces of aluminum being pulled off on the studs when they were removed without heat. I assume the ARP's need Loctite also since a precise stud height above the top of the head has to be set.
Old 11-19-2010, 09:03 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Willard Bridgham 3

I usually don’t contradict Willard (‘cause he is usually right!) – the stock head studs are not a TTY (torque to yield) fastener. All bolts and studs stretch when tightened – that’s how they work. TTY fasteners (more common on modern cars) stretch past the point of elastic recovery…they cannot be used a second time.

All that being said – I would replace the head studs if they have been used more than a couple of times and the block is out of the car. The new studs are cheap.

The stud extractor does not work that well. I TIG weld on a nut, give the stud a good whack on the top (the old timers call this ‘waking up the treads”!) and then remove them with a ¾” 1,000ft lbs impact gun. Be careful using a regular wrench with a breaker bar – any sideways force (deflecting the stud) will greatly enhance the chance of breaking the stud off.
Old 11-19-2010, 10:09 AM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by m73m95
I need to remove them for the Nikasil.
Having US Chrome in WI do the coating? What pistons/coating and rings are you going to use?
Old 11-19-2010, 10:23 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chris White
I usually don’t contradict Willard (‘cause he is usually right!) – the stock head studs are not a TTY (torque to yield) fastener. All bolts and studs stretch when tightened – that’s how they work. TTY fasteners (more common on modern cars) stretch past the point of elastic recovery…they cannot be used a second time.

All that being said – I would replace the head studs if they have been used more than a couple of times and the block is out of the car. The new studs are cheap.

The stud extractor does not work that well. I TIG weld on a nut, give the stud a good whack on the top (the old timers call this ‘waking up the treads”!) and then remove them with a ¾” 1,000ft lbs impact gun. Be careful using a regular wrench with a breaker bar – any sideways force (deflecting the stud) will greatly enhance the chance of breaking the stud off.
And that would be why I left mine for you to do!

Originally Posted by Oddjob
Having US Chrome in WI do the coating? What pistons/coating and rings are you going to use?
Ask him (above) as he is the one setting it up for me!
Old 11-19-2010, 12:12 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

“Him above” uses Millennium Technologies….

Quick Reply: Head stud extractor...