Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

when porsche went from 2.5 liters to 3.0 liters...

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 06:04 AM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Olli, your article is in German!!!
I asked you guys to check out the pictures.... I thought everybody can read german

Purpose of 951 head's ceramic liners is very well descriped in 944 Turbo Information Technik manual.
Old 11-18-2010, 07:10 AM
67King
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hevquip
i'm looking to build an engine with high horsepower and streetable reliability. i know, i know...that's asking for too much!
HIgh horsepower
Reliability
Not super, super expensive.

You can have any 2 of the 3 you want. Unless you get a V8.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:46 AM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

With any larger displacement engine you are going to want to upgrade the oil cooler. The factory one is barely adequate for a stock car on the track.
(well, I'm repeating what most of the track guys have said/learned).

Haven't really heard of drastic engine cooling issues in my research or long conversations with Chris White.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:10 PM
hevquip
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HIgh horsepower
Reliability
Not super, super expensive.

You can have any 2 of the 3 you want. Unless you get a V8.
heh, i think you can start with all 3...and then by the end of it, you realize you lost one of those (most often that "not super, super expensive" part). i have set aside the money, so i plan on kissing most of it goodbye to achieve the other two

With any larger displacement engine you are going to want to upgrade the oil cooler. The factory one is barely adequate for a stock car on the track.
(well, I'm repeating what most of the track guys have said/learned).
this is definitely something i plan on doing as well, i don't want to leave anything to chance and reckon most everything will be changed or upgraded.
Old 11-19-2010, 09:50 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

I have not found any cooling issues with the 3.0 block – its one of those ‘stories’ that you see every now and then. I would guess that somebody built a 3.0 turbo had lots of overheating problems and then blamed it in the block instead of poor tuning….

The 3.0 block is stronger and one of the really good features are the windage holes between the cylinders – this helps a lot with oil control. Keep in mind that one of the water passages is a different shape so a 951 head will not be a direct bolt on to a 3.0 block. You can modify the head to fit if you want.

On the ceramic ports – the purpose is to keep the heat in the exhaust - not for the sake of head cooling but to keep as much heat energy in the system to drive the turbo. For those that missed Turbo 101 – it’s the heat that drives the turbo – not the gas velocity.

If you are going to build a 2.8 keep in mind that 2.8’s have their own tuning requirements that are different than a 2.7 or 2.5. The ignition timing needs to be addressed in order to keep the engine ‘happy’!
Old 11-19-2010, 11:29 AM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

One of the reasons ceramic liners were used was that in the days of early testing of the 944 turbo engine, back in 1984, headgaskets were consistently blowing.

Obviously I can only relate to my limited experience, and when my engine is idling fully warmed-up I see on average a whole bar less than I used to with the 2.5, with the same cooling system and the same oil. Bearings have 12k miles on the 3.0, had 170k miles the 2.5.
A 3.0 warms up more than twice as quickly as a 2.5, probably because it contains half as less coolant. My 3.0T actually warms up exactly as quickly as my 3.0 NA (S2).
From these very basic observations it's quite difficult not to come to the simple conclusion that the 3.0 block produces heat more quickly than the 2.5 and that running a 2.7 head with no ceramic liners on a turbo application, with cylinder pressures/heat production higher than on a NA engine, is never going to offer an optimum level of heat insulation towards the HG.
Old 10-14-2021, 09:53 AM
jasonbam
6th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Modify 951 Head?

Originally Posted by Chris White
I have not found any cooling issues with the 3.0 block – its one of those ‘stories’ that you see every now and then. I would guess that somebody built a 3.0 turbo had lots of overheating problems and then blamed it in the block instead of poor tuning….

The 3.0 block is stronger and one of the really good features are the windage holes between the cylinders – this helps a lot with oil control. Keep in mind that one of the water passages is a different shape so a 951 head will not be a direct bolt on to a 3.0 block. You can modify the head to fit if you want.

On the ceramic ports – the purpose is to keep the heat in the exhaust - not for the sake of head cooling but to keep as much heat energy in the system to drive the turbo. For those that missed Turbo 101 – it’s the heat that drives the turbo – not the gas velocity.

If you are going to build a 2.8 keep in mind that 2.8’s have their own tuning requirements that are different than a 2.7 or 2.5. The ignition timing needs to be addressed in order to keep the engine ‘happy’!
You mentioned that it’s possible to modify the stock 951 head to fit the 3.0 block. What kind of modification is needed? Do you have any recommendations for a shop that could do it right?
Old 10-23-2021, 02:18 AM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 92 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by jasonbam
You mentioned that it’s possible to modify the stock 951 head to fit the 3.0 block. What kind of modification is needed? Do you have any recommendations for a shop that could do it right?

Look for 944 Enhancements the owner Christ White is the 944 Guru

http://www.944enhancement.com/
Old 10-23-2021, 11:59 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by lart951
Look for 944 Enhancements the owner Christ White is the 944 Guru

http://www.944enhancement.com/
tim @ Speedforce used to do them for me.cut off the front cooling ‘ear’ and weld on a machined piece that is 3.0 shaped. Haven’t done one for a while and it’s getting hard to get stuff from Tim. If you find a very good welder he could do it for you
Old 10-24-2021, 09:04 AM
zoom944T
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Has anyone just plugged the cooling ear and "motored" on??

Quick Reply: when porsche went from 2.5 liters to 3.0 liters...