Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Boxster ABS conversion

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 09:53 PM
samluke
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Email me at samluke@sbcglobal.net and I'll send pictures. I photographed my 89 before I parted it. If you can I would suggest having someone remove the ABS system from a car that is being parted. The key parts are the bracket from the fender and the pump with mounting etc. Its best to have the bracket cut off with the inner fender then it can be prepped for attachment. The harness can be removed in 1 piece if approached carefully. The computer is easy to remove. Its best to get the brake pipes that run across the engine bay and to the pump, along with the special bulk head fittings.
Old 11-16-2010, 10:00 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

I tend to think you're correct Richard. I never had any issues with my previous car ('89) so I think I'll get this back onto the table for next season.
Old 11-16-2010, 10:38 PM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Really how hard is this swap? I have an early 86. Does the suspension have to be changed to late offset stuff?
Old 11-16-2010, 11:11 PM
samluke
Burning Brakes

Yes you have to have the late offset spindles and hubs with the ABS sensors, same with the rear. I wouldn't try and convert a street car, its too much work, but for a track car its easy.

You shouldn't be getting into ABS much on the street, and even if you do, your unlikely to flat the tires. with Hoosiers it gets expensive real quick.
Old 11-16-2010, 11:38 PM
Mark944na86
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by samluke
I wouldn't try and convert a street car, its too much work, but for a track car its easy.
What is the extra work for a street car compared to track? I would have thought the installation would be much the same... what am I missing?
Old 11-16-2010, 11:45 PM
samluke
Burning Brakes

You have to take the passenger side fender off, attach the pump support bracket. Drill the harness hole through the inner fender. Run the wiring harness under the dash and pick up the fuse box. Get the wire harness down the side sill and over to the trunk area. Mount the computer and change out the brake lines.

I am not saying its difficult, its just with a full interior there is a lot of stuff to work around, and for the street its not worth it (in my opinion).
Old 11-17-2010, 12:09 AM
Mark944na86
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cool -- it's good to get a clearer idea of what is involved. One thing that's held me back from looking at earlier cars that are otherwise good value is the lack of ABS. Even for street, I won't buy a car that doesn't have ABS, because sometimes, it rains. I've been saved a few times now in close calls, and even one time is enough.
Old 11-17-2010, 09:23 AM
samluke
Burning Brakes

Agreed, some like the simplicity and the lighter weight of the 86's, but in my opinion the late offset 87+ cars are worh paying extra, the TurboS's/89's being the best.

I was looking for a shell with ABS. The shell I bought was non ABS but good in every other way which is why I bought it. I had planned to use the ABS from my old car, so no big deal, and I figured it would be fun trying without the ABS initially.
Old 11-17-2010, 10:19 AM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 409 Posts

Originally Posted by samluke
Email me at samluke@sbcglobal.net and I'll send pictures. I photographed my 89 before I parted it. If you can I would suggest having someone remove the ABS system from a car that is being parted. The key parts are the bracket from the fender and the pump with mounting etc. Its best to have the bracket cut off with the inner fender then it can be prepped for attachment. The harness can be removed in 1 piece if approached carefully. The computer is easy to remove. Its best to get the brake pipes that run across the engine bay and to the pump, along with the special bulk head fittings.
Thanks, I will mail you for pictures.

I had parted 89 car also, but the body was hit in right doors, so bracket was warped, but I got the unit undamaged. I Also have abs computer from that car, and will be installing complete drivetrain from that car. So I will have almost everything except bracket, rubber cup mounts for abs units and wiring, that I lost somewhere. I think someone thought that it is garbage and threw it away.

I replace all the brake tubes with brass ones, and try to route them as close as possible to factory routing.
Old 11-17-2010, 04:14 PM
barks944
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You might get away with using the same sensors even if the resistances are different. The ABS doesn't care about the absolute speed just that they wheel speeds are within a certain tolerance of each other. It does probably mean that the voltage output of the sensors will be different but the ABS unit might not care. What type of sensors are they? Variable reluctance like the crank sensors? You could probably build a signal conversion box if necessary.
Old 11-17-2010, 04:40 PM
pete95zhn
Former Vendor

Received 109 Likes on 63 Posts

Is anyone in a need of an ABS unit? I have one ( with all goodies ) parted from my past 951. MY'87, 75k mls, in good condition.
Old 11-17-2010, 04:42 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by pete95zhn
Is anyone in a need of an ABS unit? I have one ( with all goodies ) parted from my past 951. MY'87, 75k mls, in good condition.
Harness? PM me with price.

Quick Reply: Boxster ABS conversion