Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

To much boost

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 07:09 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Wishmaster
This morning i checked the factory wastegate with a handpump. It opens at 0,35-0,4bar. So the spring in my tial (0.6bar) is to hard and it won't open enough at the higher boost. I will try a 0.3 or a 0,4bar spring in my Wastegate, i think it will work correctly after that.

Yes, if its something fail with the engine the KLR will reduze the boost. MBC = no function. I think thats a good thing, why don't you use it?
I don't use the stock Motronic.
Yes it's a good thing that it kan reduce boost, but it's also a bad thing that you cannot adjust boost yourself. If you want ultimate safety it's much better to use a standalone EMS. Then you can reduce boost based on intake air temp, coolant temp, fuel values, knock etc. Many more parameters than the stock KLR use to reduce boost.
Old 11-05-2010, 10:12 AM
TurboTommy
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rogue_Ant
200kpa = ~14.3psi of boost.
That is all the stock sensor can read. So the KLR, which uses this sensor to understand boost, is limited to the max of the sensor. By changing to a 250kpa sensor (~21.5psi), the KLR now has a new upper limit for understanding boost.
Yeah, okay;

So what's the significance that the KLR now has a new upper limit for understanding boost; that's my question.

Another words; other than running the stock boost gauge, what does the KLR do with this boost information?
Old 11-05-2010, 10:32 AM
SteveIX51
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you want more i can make some
That would be awesome, I'd love to see more of the PLX gauge. The video looks cool, it's just a little dark and hard to see, maybe a pic or quick video zoomed out a little bit to see how it looks in the overall dash? I was thinking of doing something similar, how is it working out for you?

The wastegate open at a boost of 0,8 bar, i can hear it. But i think it's not enough. So i have too much boost.
If the WG opens at 0.8 bar, which sounds about right, but boost continues to build to 2.0 bar, I agree something is definitely wrong, probably with the WG itself. Sounds like maybe the valve is getting stuck. Try the factory WG with the CV disconnected and let us know how that goes. (And check out the Tial with the handpump while you've got it off the car.) Good luck.
Old 11-05-2010, 10:41 AM
SteveIX51
Advanced

other than running the stock boost gauge, what does the KLR do with this boost information?
Well for one, as Rogue_Ant mentioned, it uses this information to determine when to close the CV (i.e., max boost). So, if the KLR is made aware of higher boost pressures, it can be reprogrammed (don't forget about that part) to increase the max boost.
Old 11-05-2010, 11:01 AM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

WishMaster.

Make sure that you do not pinch the diaphram of the wastegate between the upper cover and the base. If you do the wastegate will not open all the way and will cause the plunger to only move a small amount. I have seen this time and time again on Tial wastegates and it will act as if the wastegate is opening at the right pressure but because the diaphram is pinched it holds the plunger down and does not allow it to open properly.

Last edited by Fishey; 11-06-2010 at 11:25 AM.
Old 11-05-2010, 01:01 PM
Wishmaster
Advanced

Thanks for all the help!

I don't use the stock Motronic.
Great, but a lot of work Love your car, the power is awesome!

if the wastegate is opening at the right pressure but because the diaphram is punched it holds the plunger down and does not allow it to open properly.
thanks, i will check it!

That would be awesome, I'd love to see more of the PLX gauge. The video looks cool, it's just a little dark and hard to see, maybe a pic or quick video zoomed out a little bit to see how it looks in the overall dash?
I attached two pics. I'll make for you a new video and load it up here!

Quote:
Golf 1 headlights with iron cross

pic please
Black with chrome, oldschool:

Attached Images   
Old 11-05-2010, 04:06 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

More autobahn vids????
Old 11-10-2010, 01:14 PM
Wishmaster
Advanced

Originally Posted by SteveIX51
That would be awesome, I'd love to see more of the PLX gauge.
Only for you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMDAuHa9lxY

More autobahn vids????
No, but i'll make some new.
Old 11-10-2010, 04:32 PM
Black51
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Looks like very nice throttle response.
Old 03-12-2012, 04:27 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Ok sorry for the old thread bump but it seemed pretty informative, and seems to make sense to bump instead of starting a new thread:

To the OP - did you ever get the stock CV setup working with the TiAL WG? I saw you mention you were going to try a softer WG spring - did that clear it up?

Quick Reply: To much boost