Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Turbo S suspension woes

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 06:59 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

Besides all the things that Jim ( Oddjob ) mentioned I think after you sort out possible issues, the biggest bang for the buck, IMHO are the M030 sway bars ....
There was a pair selling here a month or so ago ..Josh is believe was selling them
Regards
Ed
Old 10-26-2010, 07:41 PM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1Porch
It sounds like others disagree, but honestly...i was really disappointed in how my Turbo handled when stock. The Turbo S gets some upgrades, but they're not massive differences (20# difference in the springs, a few mm on the swaybars it sounds like).
Youre right - I disagree. Having driven various 944s with all sorts of suspension setups on the track over the years, there is a relatively dramatic difference between a stock 944T boge suspension and a Turbo S M030 Koni suspension. Stock rate is 125 lb/in, Turbo S is 160 lb/in which is nearly 30% increase in rate. And the big difference is the damping rates of the single adjustable konis. Combine that with the larger swaybars and harder durometer rubber bushings, and the cars have a much better feel when cornering and at high speed.

Thats not to say the M030 suspension is not too soft for aggressive track use - it is. But its an ok starting point for a beginner.
Old 10-26-2010, 09:11 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Oddjob
Youre right - I disagree. Having driven various 944s with all sorts of suspension setups on the track over the years, there is a relatively dramatic difference between a stock 944T boge suspension and a Turbo S M030 Koni suspension. Stock rate is 125 lb/in, Turbo S is 160 lb/in which is nearly 30% increase in rate. And the big difference is the damping rates of the single adjustable konis. Combine that with the larger swaybars and harder durometer rubber bushings, and the cars have a much better feel when cornering and at high speed.

Thats not to say the M030 suspension is not too soft for aggressive track use - it is. But its an ok starting point for a beginner.
What he said !
Old 10-26-2010, 09:37 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Looks to me that the tyre pressures could have led to a squirmy sensation that could feel 'wobbly' on top of other issues?
Old 10-27-2010, 12:11 AM
lejams
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some of the turbo S benefits - lower front and rear way down and dampen to the max and it should feel better.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:59 AM
Willard Bridgham 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Van
Add to the equation sprung and unsprung weight amounts, and your comment has as much validity as: "Toyota uses darker paint than Porsche used in the 80s, therefor the air conditioning is colder".
Just my 2 cents.

Oooohhhh....good metaphor, Van.
Old 10-27-2010, 12:16 PM
LS1Porch
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Oddjob

I haven't actually driven a 951 with Boge suspension, mine came with Konis installed by the PO. As a completely stock 951 with Koni yellows on full stiff, i thought it handled like crap for a car that had such a highly reputed suspension in its day.

I feel like my 300/28mm/Koni setup is pretty much how the car should have left the factory. It's much more in line with the damping of a modern sports car.
Old 10-28-2010, 01:29 PM
Djbrand1
Instructor

LS1Porch, where did you find the KW V3 setup? Haven't seen them for sale at any of the typical vendors.
Old 10-28-2010, 01:35 PM
LS1Porch
Burning Brakes

They're on ebay. I can't say with any experience that they're the best setup, but there have been quite a few posts on here raving about them.
Old 10-28-2010, 01:54 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

I haven't actually driven a 951 with Boge suspension, mine came with Konis installed by the PO. As a completely stock 951 with Koni yellows on full stiff, i thought it handled like crap for a car that had such a highly reputed suspension in its day.

I feel like my 300/28mm/Koni setup is pretty much how the car should have left the factory. It's much more in line with the damping of a modern sports car.
What's odd Chris is that if you read all the reviews from this car, when it first came out ( I bought mine in 88 brand new ) Some reviews complained that the street ride was a tad hash .... Obviously, if its a sports car, it's supposed to have a stiff suspension, but I really never heard someone give the car's handling, poor marks. The worst thing said, referenced the inherent understeer ( and as they put it, probably done by Porsche, for liability reasons)
Is it possible that your PO had trashed the shocks, springs, tires ? ?
I must admit the stock tries that came with the car sucked !! Goodyear's
When I changed over to the Yoks, it made a world of difference.
My car was so stiff my CD player kept skipping ... and I never felt the car handled poorly .... It was like it was on rails ....
Regards
Ed
Old 10-28-2010, 02:27 PM
LS1Porch
Burning Brakes

Well, i guess i can safely say:

People have different preferences on stuff like this. Some people buy a Porsche and expect it to handle like an F1 car and ride like a Cadillac (not gonna happen!), others (like me) will probably never be happy with the way the car handles.

I do think that damping technology has gotten pretty amazing in the last few years. I'm not unhappy with my Koni's (i transferred them from my old car to my current car, they're still in awesome shape!). I do think that there are better out there. I have no doubt the Turbo S does well for what it is today, and what it was 20 years ago. I also think that with modern dampers, you can get much more out of the car without giving up much.

Besides, if you're going to go through the whole car and replace stuff, you might as well replace it with better stuff, right?
Old 10-28-2010, 02:50 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Well, i guess i can safely say:

People have different preferences on stuff like this. Some people buy a Porsche and expect it to handle like an F1 car and ride like a Cadillac (not gonna happen!), others (like me) will probably never be happy with the way the car handles.

I do think that damping technology has gotten pretty amazing in the last few years. I'm not unhappy with my Koni's (i transferred them from my old car to my current car, they're still in awesome shape!). I do think that there are better out there. I have no doubt the Turbo S does well for what it is today, and what it was 20 years ago. I also think that with modern dampers, you can get much more out of the car without giving up much.

Besides, if you're going to go through the whole car and replace stuff, you might as well replace it with better stuff, right?
No doubt ...
But I was just referring to the orig. set up, as being very competitive then.. I can't really comment on today's susp mods, because I haven't used them or driven on them
Best regards
Ed
Old 10-28-2010, 03:23 PM
azmi951
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Was it made clear if the rear shocks are in fact the koni yellows? If not, get some to match the front koni yellows. These are cheap (in terms of shocks) and a good bang for the buck.
Old 10-29-2010, 12:59 AM
Djbrand1
Instructor

Originally Posted by azmi951
Was it made clear if the rear shocks are in fact the koni yellows? If not, get some to match the front koni yellows. These are cheap (in terms of shocks) and a good bang for the buck.
Yes, I purchased them new from Paragon about 6 months ago.
Old 10-29-2010, 08:00 AM
67King
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has anyone mentioned the torsen tube mounts? The whole rear suspension is mounted to that tube, and the carrier blocks are a pretty big chunk of rubber. After 20+ years, that stuff is probably worn slap out. I know my father-in-law had this issue when he was starting to DE his car, he had replaced almost everythign else, and the rear end was still wobbly.

Oddjob, thanks for the correction on the sways. My 89 is apparently one of the later ones, as it came with a 16mm. I just assumed all of them did.

Quick Reply: Turbo S suspension woes