Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

# 2 cylinder detonation

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 09:01 PM
renvagn
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default # 2 cylinder detonation

# 2 cylinder in the track car was found to have a missing electrode and 1/2 it's insulator. Symptoms were an uncommon flatness on acceleration then an occasional miss with no real audible change until the car had cooled. At that point I suspect it went terminal.

Compression is good, and I didn't see anything upon scoping it. Pulling the ejector wire with the engine running is positive for decreased function then returns to normal once reinstalled.

Temps were in the 60's, 14 pounds of boost, 94 octane. So what do you think caused this??????

I am thinking I need to have the injectors flow tested or do you think visual inspection of the spray pattern if uniform with the other injectors would be sufficient. Thanks.
Old 10-24-2010, 11:29 PM
hp18racer
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd get the injectors flow tested, very cheap. http://www.lindertech.com/reconinj.htm

Also take a look at the wire harness for the fuel injectors. A problem with the wires to the injector could generate the same symptoms as a bad injector.
Old 10-25-2010, 09:29 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

That’s pretty bad detonation, I am surprised that the rings held up to that amount of abuse. Is the compression that same as all the other cylinders?

Could be the injector or the injector wiring. Also could be excessive oil in the intake – that will lower the effective octane of the fuel and increase combustion temperatures.
Old 10-25-2010, 11:02 AM
renvagn
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chris,
Compression is from 1-4: 130+, 125, 130+, 110. In fact the # 4 looked to be the most carboned. I have had excessive oil use this year despite limited car use. I figured the engine is getting tired despite 57K of which 12-15 are track.

Quick Reply: # 2 cylinder detonation