Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

The LS1 951 made it maiden track voyage today!

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 08:20 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 486 Likes on 324 Posts
Default The LS1 951 made it maiden track voyage today!

Just got back from the track, ran 3 hard sessions today.

I'm happy to report that all went well! The brakes are phenomenal, the hydroboost worked extremely well. No issues there at all, if anything the brake pedal is too high now, making heel/toe much more challenging.

I need to play with the brake bias though, as the rear brakes are grabbing too hard, leading to some squirrelly moments. I'll try less aggressive brake pads in the back and see what happens.

Steering felt nice, handling was neutral.

Power was good, the car is running a little rich on track, AFR's around 11.5 vs the 12.8 I saw on the dyno. Not sure why it's doing that.

Coolant temps stayed well under control, oil temps were higher than I'd like to see. However I think this was the first time the car got hot enough that the oil cooler t-stat opened up, which filled the core and sucked 1.5 quarts out of the pan.

I'll have to see how it runs with the oil topped up, but I am concerned as today was a brisk day, nothing like the 100 degree days I typically hit the track in during summer. I may have to relocate the oil cooler to directly in front of the radiator to get unobstructed air to it.

I took video's, but my damn camera mount sucks and the camera rotated around. The threaded boss in the camera stripped out, so I need to epoxy it in place and try again.

All in all, a very good day!
Old 10-23-2010, 09:40 PM
arthropraxis
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Awesome. Glad to hear you didn't have any hiccups. So how did it feel mid corner to exit? I saw a good adjustable brake proportioning valve on summit that i was going to get if I go hydroboost.
Old 10-23-2010, 10:17 PM
Jeff N.
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1. Must feel great after all you've worked thru!

Curious - what sort of oil temps did you see?
Old 10-24-2010, 12:52 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Still have some things to address, like the afr's, brake bias and oil temps. Oil temps on the street are extremely low, around 170.

On track I saw 250, which immediately dropped to 190 within a cool down lap. I'm going look into oil level then front mounting the oil cooler or replacing it with larger one.

It would lose traction up front on turn in, Gaining traction when I rolled into the throttle. On mid corner and exit I was able to progressively add throttle to wot on exit.

Only 1 corner would the back end get too loose and I'd feather the throttle.
Old 10-24-2010, 02:33 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

Great to hear of your progress Doc. A bit of sorting still to do, but we can all say that.

What wheels/tyres are you running?
Old 10-24-2010, 12:18 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

I run 4 17x9 OEM Cup 2 wheels with Toyo RA1 275-40-17 tires. They give a nice neutral feel and I can rotate them. Not the stickiest rubber, but they are very durable.
Old 10-24-2010, 04:21 PM
LS1Porch
Burning Brakes

I have a BIG oil cooler that fits where the stock intercooler sits (and it's about the size of the stock intercooler). I don't currently have it installed on my new car, but here's a video of it on my old car (you can see it in the very beginning):

http://www.youtube.com/user/LS1Porch.../3/A009v0A7aMA
Old 10-24-2010, 05:54 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

I have an 11x7x3 cooler sitting behind the passengers foglight, with ducting to it.

I just checked the oil again and it's on the bottom of the cross hatching, which means that the cooler and lines hold more than 2 quarts of oil. That's probably why the oil temps were high, once the cooler filled up, I wasn't running as much oil as I should've been.
Old 10-24-2010, 06:26 PM
incomplete
Racer

congrats, doc! i'm happy for you, and a bit jealous. i love california, but why oh why can't i hide from CARB!

shane (back to working on his engine harness and dreaming of v8s)
Old 10-24-2010, 07:10 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

what can i do ti increase my braking power at the rear ?

i'm running 5-33 now. i want more behind where i'm running the bigger tires.
Old 10-24-2010, 07:27 PM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Congrats on getting it running and on track!

I'm running an rx-7 oil cooler in the place where the intercooler used to be. Seems to work well (based on coolant temps). I don't have my oil temp sender installed yet, so I don't know for sure.
Old 10-24-2010, 08:22 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice

pull out the factory proportioning valve, and install an adjustable valve in the cockpit.

The brake pedal height is easily adjustable.

Isn't the V8 nice?

TonyG
Old 10-24-2010, 09:30 PM
Rob 3
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Congratulations! After all the work and concern it sounds like a very successful first track day!
Old 10-24-2010, 09:43 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Tony, how do I adjust the brake pedal height? It was driving my crazy on the track, I couldn't heel/toe very well at all.

Have a suggestion for which proportioning valve I should go with?

vt951, my coolant temps were steady at 200-220F the entire day (read off the head, which is very hot) vs the oil temps being significantly higher and the oil temp is read from the pan. I think you'll find that low coolant temps don't necessarily correlate to low oil temps....
Old 10-25-2010, 02:55 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by docwyte
Tony, how do I adjust the brake pedal height? It was driving my crazy on the track, I couldn't heel/toe very well at all.

Have a suggestion for which proportioning valve I should go with?

vt951, my coolant temps were steady at 200-220F the entire day (read off the head, which is very hot) vs the oil temps being significantly higher and the oil temp is read from the pan. I think you'll find that low coolant temps don't necessarily correlate to low oil temps....

Crawl under the brake pedal with a couple of open end wrenches and you can loosen up the jam nut and adjust the push rod in or out to raise or lower the brake pedal. Takes about 30 seconds to do. I have mine set so that at maximum braking... it's even with the gas pedal.

As far as the brakes go... that was to be expected because your master cylinder piston sizes are different then they were before. Specifically, the front & rear are probably the same size where as the 951's are different, the rear being about 20% smaller.

Just remove the brake proportioning valve at the ABS unit. You can gut it and drill it out and reinstall it.

Then intercept the rear brake circuit just behind the firewall in front of the heater/air conditioning assembly, and run both ends to a brake proportioning valve in the cockpit with a couple of 18" SS lines. There's a few out there, but I would not use a lever style. Go with a rotary **** style like Wilwood I use.

Which oil cooler are you running and where is it mounted?

And 200-220F is not all that hot for a LS1.

Also... where is your MAF? I can't see it from the pics.

TonyG

Quick Reply: The LS1 951 made it maiden track voyage today!