Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Technical Advice Needed: Sleeved 968 engine turbo build (aerochargers?)

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 01:24 AM
jeevyboy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was wondering if there was any further update on this front? My project car and a spare engine has already arrived, and i want to crack on with the work asap. If i know what the details are i'm willing to go ahead and get the mockup of the 6series aerocharger and start work as soon as the engine bay is ready.

Incidentally , anyone know what is the which set of MID sleeves i'd need to get for the displacement to be 3.1L? Also, what would else would i need to change or get to go ahead with this setup? I guess someone like Chris would be able to answer this one easily.
Old 11-05-2010, 08:22 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by jeevyboy
I was wondering if there was any further update on this front? My project car and a spare engine has already arrived, and i want to crack on with the work asap. If i know what the details are i'm willing to go ahead and get the mockup of the 6series aerocharger and start work as soon as the engine bay is ready.

Incidentally , anyone know what is the which set of MID sleeves i'd need to get for the displacement to be 3.1L? Also, what would else would i need to change or get to go ahead with this setup? I guess someone like Chris would be able to answer this one easily.
The are two different sleeves for the 944 blocks – one is for the 2.5 block and the max diameter cylinder is 104mm and the other is for the 3.0 family (S2, 968 and the 2.7) and it can support a 106mm bore.
Old 11-05-2010, 08:43 AM
jeevyboy
Advanced

Im working on a 968 3.0L engine, and plan on using the 106mm bore Sleeves. With that in mind, any recommendations for pistons etc to complete the package?
Old 11-05-2010, 03:28 PM
JDS968
Bannana Shine
Rennlist Member

Received 334 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by KKnappC
If someone is looking for a cheaper, simpler turbo with the same basic premise. The Acura RDX uses a variable turbo. The turbo uses a door that opens and closes in response to exhaust flow. Its basically two turbos in one. At low rpm the door is closed routed gases in a smaller path of the turbo making spool up very fast. When rpms are higher the door opens so the full potential of the turbo can be used. Its not the largest turbo's out there but the RDX runs about 14psi stock, 260 hp on a 2.3l. Not a revolutionary as a the aero type but might be interesting solution for someone. If anyone wants more info let me know.
14 psi, 260hp on a 2.3L sounds like it couldn't be much more capacity than a K27, if anything...but I'd still like to see a compressor map on this, for curiosity's sake if nothing else.
Old 11-05-2010, 04:13 PM
jmj951
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was wondering if there was any further update...
Unfortunately, I never received a dyno sheet. I followed up once as well, but no response.
Old 11-05-2010, 04:43 PM
jeevyboy
Advanced

Only asking because i got an email from the guys at aerocharger giving my the contact details for Ivan, asking me to contact him directly. I know you had contacted him before, so i didnt want to bug him with more of the same questions. Guess if hes not wanting to share, then we'll have to reinvent the wheel all over again... *sigh*. It would have been nice to at least have known peak HP and initial pickup, as well as what spec of the 66 series he was using and some details of fitment. They even mentioned that he ran the engine on an an engine dyno with the turbo to see details before installing it in the vehicle, so im guessing a lot of tuning has been done.
Old 11-05-2010, 05:05 PM
67King
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im working on a 968 3.0L engine, and plan on using the 106mm bore Sleeves. With that in mind, any recommendations for pistons etc to complete the package?
I know that Karl Poeltl at Racer's Edge is a Wossner dealer (he may be the primary distributor in North America, I can't recall), and he has designed and supplied pistons for this type of application (turbo'd 968) before. You might give him a call?
Old 11-05-2010, 07:48 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

If you look up at the 3 liter registry I just posted a little info about an engine - it has some Wossner pistons in it!

Quick Reply: Technical Advice Needed: Sleeved 968 engine turbo build (aerochargers?)