Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Use of Larger Radiator

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 05:25 PM
Nader Fotouhi
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Use of Larger Radiator

Is anyone using an oversize (comapred to stock) Griffin radiator in a 951? I would like to try a higher water cooling capacity to keep fluid temperatures down instead of a second oil coolerin my 944S2 race car.
Old 10-21-2010, 05:59 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 654 Likes on 508 Posts

rather than do that, why not fit a lower-temp fan switch and thermostat...much cheaper...

and rather than a second oil cooler, why not do a larger single oil cooler?
Old 10-22-2010, 08:29 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Nader Fotouhi
Is anyone using an oversize (comapred to stock) Griffin radiator in a 951? I would like to try a higher water cooling capacity to keep fluid temperatures down instead of a second oil coolerin my 944S2 race car.
You could take a look at this solution…(I may just be slightly biased towards it!)

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...rid=1956<br />
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...eferrerid=1956
Old 10-22-2010, 09:09 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Having seen Chris's radiators first hand, they are SWEET! Definitely the one to use if you are looking at going after increased cooling capacity!
Old 10-22-2010, 09:54 AM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

The radiator mentioned by Chris is a very nice unit.
Old 10-22-2010, 10:39 AM
Nader Fotouhi
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
rather than do that, why not fit a lower-temp fan switch and thermostat...much cheaper...

and rather than a second oil cooler, why not do a larger single oil cooler?

I am not sure I understand how lower fan switch and thermostat would be useful on the track. A larger oil cooler is an option, but I think a larger radiator has more benefit for both water and oil.

Originally Posted by Chris White
You could take a look at this solution…(I may just be slightly biased towards it!)

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...rid=1956<br />
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...eferrerid=1956
Chris,

I have looked at and considered yours as an option and would have gotten around to talking to you about it before next spring (plan a solution over the winter). Two questions and please understand that these are not meant as disparaging your design. Do I actually have higher water cooling capacity over stock radiator given that an oil cooler is fitted in the same total surface area as stock unit which I interpret as less room for water. Is the oil cooler more Vulnerable to damage in that spot due to front impact?

Thanks
Old 10-23-2010, 09:32 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Chris,

I have looked at and considered yours as an option and would have gotten around to talking to you about it before next spring (plan a solution over the winter). Two questions and please understand that these are not meant as disparaging your design. Do I actually have higher water cooling capacity over stock radiator given that an oil cooler is fitted in the same total surface area as stock unit which I interpret as less room for water. Is the oil cooler more Vulnerable to damage in that spot due to front impact?

Thanks[/QUOTE]

I never consider questions (at least honest ones!) as disparaging remarks – its much better to have an educated customer than one that just responds to hype!

The radiator is much thicker than stock – in fact it is as think as possible for the space so the total fluid capacity is the same as stock or possible a little more. The cooling capacity exceeds a new stock radiator and greatly exceeds a 20 year old stock radiator.

To damage the oil cooler you would have to get to the point of bending the radiator support frame – if you do that you will have totaled your car! The stock oil cooler would be damaged as easily as this one. If you are worried about damage from a foreign object remember that the A/C condenser is in front – in addition if the worst happens aluminum coolers can be patched easily by a decent welder.

Here is a pic showing the difference in thickness
Attached Images   
Old 10-23-2010, 10:49 AM
Nader Fotouhi
Rennlist Member

Thanks Chris. This certainly makes sense. I can also leave the stock unit where it is and plug it in case i have to run two oil coolers if needed.

Quick Reply: Use of Larger Radiator