Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

50K mile '88 Turbo running like crap

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 11:30 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fast951
I was joking about the Lifetime warranty...

Usually when the car goes from running fine to not, something happened. As long as you can reproduce the problem, you should be able to find the cause. If you can take the car to John, it's sounds as the best solution. Just make sure he doesn't strip it like he did his own car
Hey, I resemble that remark...

I had to bite the bullet and take some parts from the 951 piles and use them on the N/A this week (alternator and PS pump)...

But hey, I had planned on a new alternator solution for the 951 anyway, and am learning about possible alternatives to the old PS pumps we all love to hate!
Old 10-21-2010, 03:29 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
Hey, I resemble that remark...
I knew you'll understand
Old 10-23-2010, 11:49 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Brian, nice meeting you this afternoon, and again, nice looking car.. beautiful interior..

The WB O2 setup we talked about is this one.. http://www.zietronix.com/

And the SMT6 will only help you with the running rich, cant hurt you..

If you need links or info on anything we discussed, I have links to most everything arround, or can get you in touch with someone who can assist!

Hit me up if you want a hand wrenching, and I will be sure to keep you in mind for any up-coming drives... OH, and check your passenger floorboard...
Old 10-23-2010, 11:55 PM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Did you guys figure out why his car was acting up?
Old 10-24-2010, 01:39 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ModdedEverything951S
I will postpone comments, untill he posts how it went / is doing..

I can say we did a few things, and that there are a few things still to do, he left with a shopping list of bits and pieces... but the TPS was functioning as advertised after it was properly adjusted!

And at least when hot, he does not have any significant vacuum leaks.

OH and Brian, forgot to mention, if you change the oil you are running, you will see varying ammounts of oil being aspirated up out of the crank case from one brand to another, I run Castrol GTX 20-50 year round, and have had little to no oil aspiration since I started using it! However oil is a touchy subject, so I advise against asking, and just pick one that works for you (might take some experimentation...)
Old 10-24-2010, 11:14 PM
speedfreak81
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brian, nice meeting you this afternoon, and again, nice looking car.. beautiful interior..

The WB O2 setup we talked about is this one.. http://www.zietronix.com/

And the SMT6 will only help you with the running rich, cant hurt you..

If you need links or info on anything we discussed, I have links to most everything arround, or can get you in touch with someone who can assist!

Hit me up if you want a hand wrenching, and I will be sure to keep you in mind for any up-coming drives... OH, and check your passenger floorboard...
John, nice to meet you too! I ordered all the stuff we talked about this morning. Intake manifold gaskets, venturi delete hoses, hard pipe couplers, fuel pump check valve, and the TB reseal kit. I'll let you know when it all comes in.

Originally Posted by ModdedEverything951S
We/John adjusted the TPS sensor and that has seemed to fix the high idle. Also had some air in the coolant system so that was bled out. We think/hope the vacuum leaks I'm experiencing are due to original lines. I replaced a bunch of them earlier today and it seems to be running a bit better, but I definitely didn't get all of them. Hopefully after all the hoses/couplers are replaced that will take care of it. also the TB was sticking so I ordered the reseal kit.

The car is running very rich, and I think frankly it just needs to be tuned. I may pick up Vitesse's SMT6 piggyback and tune it via laptop.
Old 10-24-2010, 11:16 PM
CPR
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just remember, John only stays at a Holiday Inn Express.....
Old 10-24-2010, 11:20 PM
elargentino
Banned

Originally Posted by CPR
Just remember, John only stays at a Holiday Inn Express.....

As long as Terry will buy breakfast.
Old 10-25-2010, 08:45 AM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by speedfreak81
John, nice to meet you too! I ordered all the stuff we talked about this morning. Intake manifold gaskets, venturi delete hoses, hard pipe couplers, fuel pump check valve, and the TB reseal kit. I'll let you know when it all comes in.

We/John adjusted the TPS sensor and that has seemed to fix the high idle. Also had some air in the coolant system so that was bled out. We think/hope the vacuum leaks I'm experiencing are due to original lines. I replaced a bunch of them earlier today and it seems to be running a bit better, but I definitely didn't get all of them. Hopefully after all the hoses/couplers are replaced that will take care of it. also the TB was sticking so I ordered the reseal kit.

The car is running very rich, and I think frankly it just needs to be tuned. I may pick up Vitesse's SMT6 piggyback and tune it via laptop.

Fix "all" vaccum leaks, clean all your ground issues, check O2 sensor, Eng Temp, TPS, fuel pressure.... Once you are sure all subsystems are functioning properly then evaluate how it runs.
Do not add any new components to the equation till you determine everything else is operating properly.
Old 10-25-2010, 09:10 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Fix "all" vaccum leaks, clean all your ground issues, check O2 sensor, Eng Temp, TPS, fuel pressure.... Once you are sure all subsystems are functioning properly then evaluate how it runs.
Do not add any new components to the equation till you determine everything else is operating properly.
I would agree, except for the previously installed NB gauge (and its even hooked up!).. and lack of solid descriptions on what is already installed (NB gauge is vampire tapped directly into the stock NB sensor wires, whoever installed it, just sliced open the jacket on the sensor and tapped into it)

I will assist him in ridding the car of the little nagging issues (he already took care of one of them by installing the new vacuum lines that came with the car) and then we will give it a run, it is running rich, not rich enough to smoke at idle or low throttle take off, but rich none the less, and the gauges on the car now are almost useless for determining truly how it is running.

.. the Piggy Back and Zietronix will allow him to wrap it all up once the minor issues are resolved. And your PB will match with the MAF already installed on the car…
Old 10-25-2010, 09:33 AM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I would agree, except for the previously installed NB gauge (and its even hooked up!).. and lack of solid descriptions on what is already installed (NB gauge is vampire tapped directly into the stock NB sensor wires, whoever installed it, just sliced open the jacket on the sensor and tapped into it)

I will assist him in ridding the car of the little nagging issues (he already took care of one of them by installing the new vacuum lines that came with the car) and then we will give it a run, it is running rich, not rich enough to smoke at idle or low throttle take off, but rich none the less, and the gauges on the car now are almost useless for determining truly how it is running.

.. the Piggy Back and Zietronix will allow him to wrap it all up once the minor issues are resolved. And your PB will match with the MAF already installed on the car…
John, I should have been more descriptive. Adding the PiggyBack to cover up existing issues is what I did not want him to do. Adding the PiggyBack to fine tune, once all underlying issues have been resolved is good.

The Zeitronix is a great tool to have, he should add it as it will help him evaluate his car.

We sell both the PiggyBack and the SMT6

BTW thanks for helping him.
Old 10-25-2010, 12:34 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

John, I should have been more descriptive. Adding the PiggyBack to cover up existing issues is what I did not want him to do. Adding the PiggyBack to fine tune, once all underlying issues have been resolved is good.

The Zeitronix is a great tool to have, he should add it as it will help him evaluate his car.

We sell both the PiggyBack and the SMT6

BTW thanks for helping him.
No worries, he is 90% there, has your MAF and chipboard.. just needs the last 10% wrapping on the package.. I didnt see a whole lot of issues corrosion or ground wise (he bought the car in Pheonix, AZ) just a hinky idle, and rich running, he got the vacuum lines changed (had origional factory ones on the car) and still has some aged rubber hoses that while not blown out, are showing their age (small cracks showing).. car is idling well, and boosts strong, just needs a little bit of polishing, some fine tuning, and his car will be tip top for a good long while to come... I will check his battery cross voltages (to grounds) next time I am under the hood..

I never have a problem helping out whenever, wherever I can.. I consider it karma insurance...
Old 10-25-2010, 12:52 PM
speedfreak81
Instructor

Thanks to all for the input! It is much appreciated. As John said, I replaced a good bit of vacuum lines, hopefully we can get the rest of them knocked out when we pull the intake manifold, plus I'm sure there are some I might have just missed not being familiar with these cars.

-Brian

Quick Reply: 50K mile '88 Turbo running like crap