MAF meter upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 04:56 AM
bmstraight081
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MAF meter upgrade

Hey everyone,

I'm new and just bought a 87 951. I have been reading threads and they have been a wealth of information. However, I have a question about MAF systems. My car is completly stock and well the obvious thing to do for my is an intake system. I know that the AFM is fairly restrictive and the MAF is just an all out better system. What would be the best for the money type. As well, I am curious to know if there is any DME or KLR mods that need to be made to run one, this even with some research I haven't found. Also, is there a DIY type way of doing it. I did one on a Nissan Altima some time ago and was able to upgrade the MAF on it with a Cobra Mustang MAF to give it a larger sizing. Is there any such beast out there. Thanks

Brandon
Old 10-15-2010, 09:04 AM
Tedro951
Three Wheelin'

The answers will flow, but pics usually get the juices flowing!
Old 10-15-2010, 10:36 AM
bmstraight081
Track Day

I'm going to guess you mean in general pictures are good....Because this is a hypothetical situation
Old 10-15-2010, 10:49 AM
racerxrick
Rennlist Member

pics of your new ride! Welcome!!!
Old 10-15-2010, 11:00 AM
bmstraight081
Track Day

Well, considering that I just figured out how to do it should be soon.
Old 10-15-2010, 12:18 PM
pjburges
Burning Brakes

The 944 (or 951) DME lacks the correct assembly code to utilize the MAF correctly. This is due to the way a MAF functions with voltage vs temperature vs air flow as compared to the AFM. The processor in the Bosch computer is an INTEL 8051. You COULD decompile the assembly code, re-write and make if MAF friendly. This is WAY too much work for apparently everyone, so the solution has instead been to use a "piggy-back" computer to massage the signal to something the main computer will like. There are lot's of people who make one - Vittesse and Lindsey Racing are the first that come to mind. Others can chime in on other vendors. AFMs function fine up to a certain HP (flow). Others can tell you what this rough limit is.

GOOD LUCK HAVE FUN WITH THE NEW RIDE!
Old 10-15-2010, 12:39 PM
bmstraight081
Track Day

Thats kinda what I thought... But doesn't the lindsey system not require a chip... At least they don't show one on the site when you look up the MAF systems... also, have a question on the bypass valves... I'm just guessing that there is no need for a blow off with the maf system and that a adjustable bypass would work...
Old 10-16-2010, 05:06 AM
azbanks
Freedom Enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can find lots of information about this if you do some searching. I'll give you the general trends. Some people try a kit from one of the vendors, like it and stick with it.

Others will try several setups until they try the MAF kit from Vitesse and then they stop trying. You can find lots of people who tried several setups until they finally went with Vitesse. I do not know of anyone who had a Vitesse system and switched to something else because they were unhappy with it. There are some who really like to DIY who moved on but not many.

Now, I am curious to know how many people have had a Vitesse system and replaced it with another system? Anyone?
Old 10-18-2010, 03:24 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pjburges
You COULD decompile the assembly code, re-write and make if MAF friendly. This is WAY too much work for apparently everyone,
Not everyone
Old 10-19-2010, 11:51 AM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rogue_Ant
Not everyone
Old 10-19-2010, 08:54 PM
pjburges
Burning Brakes

Yeah definitely let us know! Im studying mechanical engineering in school right now, and my electrical knowledge just doesn't go that deep. My EE buddy loves doing that stuff, but I haven't been able to convince him this is worth doing yet haha! Everytime I come up with some hairbrained idea he just says "how big is the market for this?" >_< Who cares!!! haha

Quick Reply: MAF meter upgrade