Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

problem with air flow sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 04:59 PM
turbo8
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go under the car on the passenger side, you will see exhaust tubing and the exhaust manifold, and the wastegate. There is a vacuum line coming off the top of the wastegate.

So wastegate is between passenger side control arm and engine.

Also look at the vacuum diagram located in the engine bay on the passenger side fender well.

You could also have a clogged catalytic converter, which would make your car very slow.
Old 10-11-2010, 06:09 PM
dunl
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by turbo8
Go under the car on the passenger side, you will see exhaust tubing and the exhaust manifold, and the wastegate. There is a vacuum line coming off the top of the wastegate.
And where does this vacuum line go? I have a HID headlight system that was installed, and the power box for it is of course located right over top of the vacuum diagram. I'll try to remove that as well.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:07 PM
Tedro951
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Look down between the firewall and the back of the intake. There is room to clamp it at that point. It's literally a 2 minute test. Mine was fabric braided hose.
Old 10-11-2010, 11:11 PM
dunl
Instructor

Thanks Ted. I have a feeling that vacuum lines are hooked up on this machine, but they're not hooked up correctly. I don't recall seeing a braided hose like that, but I'll take a look tomorrow after teaching. At least I managed to find time to replace the spark plugs today.
Old 10-11-2010, 11:19 PM
onspeed
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mine is just a regular rubber hose. only hose connected to the wastegate
Old 10-11-2010, 11:55 PM
dunl
Instructor

Is it this one, that comes up to a smaller banjo bolt on the top of the intake?

Old 10-12-2010, 12:38 AM
onspeed
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

negative. that's the line to the KLR to measure boost.

possibly that rubber one on the left?

it's like a 3/4'' diameter line. rubber line on my '86. should go down to the passenger side firewall. or if you've got the time, you can jack the car up on the passenger side, and just look at the wastegate.
Old 10-12-2010, 12:46 AM
dunl
Instructor

K thanks. Feel like a complete noob here, but at least I'm narrowing down the field.
Old 10-13-2010, 08:53 PM
dunl
Instructor

K, now that I can see in there, it appears that the rubber line from the wastegate to the cycling valve wasn't hooked up. It also appears to me that this line goes down more on the driver's side of the engine, not the passenger side....at the very least, down the middle rear of the engine.

However, no joy....still just as slow.

Edit: Unless the hoses for the banjo bolt and the wastegate are reversed on the cycling valve?
Old 03-31-2011, 01:47 PM
dunl
Instructor

Well, spring is here and I'm back to work on this girl as she sat all winter long. (picked up a rusty $50 '79 Mercedes Turbodiesel for winter driving).

The wastegate line is a thick rubber hose, so clamps won't work on it, but I did unplug it from the cycling valve and blocked it with a pencil. The car still drives the same...boost ranges from .4 at the bottom of the guage to almost 1.0 but not quite.

Any thoughts?
Old 03-31-2011, 02:26 PM
dunl
Instructor

The circular valve next to the coolant reservoir seems to hold a vacuum. However, the hard vacuum line coming from the nipple off the top of that valve seems to be quite loose and not the right size. Is there a correct diameter for this?
Old 04-01-2011, 12:46 AM
dunl
Instructor

Does anyone have a stash of pictures that show all angles (close ups preferably) of the vacuum lines on an 87? I have a hunkering suspicion that someone messed with these previously, and that they are all over the place.

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-01-2011, 01:51 AM
Black51
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

You know, if the car still has all original vacuum lines, I'd change all of them before doing anything else. There's a good chance that even though they may be hooked up right, there are hairline leaks all over them.

You can find a vacuum line routing picture on clarke's garage by going to "garage shop manual", then "fuel and vacuum line routing". It's nice too because everything is named.
Old 04-01-2011, 02:17 AM
Dougs951
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Did you ever check the turbo itself? It is really easy to pull the J boot to check the compressor wheel.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:40 AM
dunl
Instructor

No I never did check the turbo, but I'm hoping to get to that today. Honestly, when I found items such as the wastegate hose completely off of the cycling valve, and one smaller line near there that doesn't appear to lead to....well, anything, I think I need to look at the lines first. Cause if there are lines disconnected or hooked up to the wrong spot, then it wouldn't matter if the turbo was working or not.

Thanks for the tip on the diagram. I was just hoping someone might have a cache of pics somewhere, as sometimes you look at them and go "Hey, mine doesn't look like that...."

Quick Reply: problem with air flow sensor?