Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Timing belt and TDC alignment problem.

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 03:43 PM
onspeed
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Timing belt and TDC alignment problem.

In the middle of a timing belt job... got a problem.

I'm not using a flywheel lock, I read that most people here don't when only changing the belts.

Before I removed the belts, I verified that it was set at TDC. Cam sprocket lined up and the mark on the flywheel lined up under the car. After removing the belt, the cam sprocket is still lined up, but the mark under the flywheel is off by about an inch. Am i screwed?

Also, once i made sure both marks were lined, i put the car in fifth but didn't check the bottom again. Is it possible shifting the gear moved the flywheel?

Only way I could think that it could have moved would be loosening the tensioners... although the cam sprocket and balance sprockets are still ined up with the markings.
Old 10-09-2010, 04:28 PM
Richgreenster
Burning Brakes

Just line everthing back up then install the belt.
Old 10-09-2010, 05:28 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts

No harm done but do fix it. If you have a spring tensioner, it's easy for this to happen. The motor will roll a little when you tighten the tensioner even though the cam gear stays still. If you watch how that happens you can adjust for it when you line up the best.
Old 10-09-2010, 08:43 PM
Black51
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Or just spend a few bucks and get the FW lock.
Old 10-10-2010, 02:45 AM
onspeed
Burning Brakes

Ok. All is back together. Car runs fine.. seems better but this might just be in my head. I replaced the o2, put a new potentiometer on my APE maf harness, removed the extra spacer from my reference sensor, and put in a different IC to TB hard pipe. Been experimenting with an aftermarket set and the stock... I feel like the aftermarket one increases lag. Is this possible or just in my head?

Also, I noticed the car runs a tad hotter than normal. Usually, my temp needle will be a hairline above the 1st marking. I noticed it ranges from the 1st mark to the middle. Is it possible I overtensioned the timing belt or something? I used the Krikit to tension, and the 90 degrees method, and the video of Van's timing belt... still not too confident in my timing belt skills yet. I turned the crankshaft a few times, then went to TDC, then turned it counter clockwise to make it a tooth and a half back. Removed the idler pully and water pump bar, and took tension right there. If I push down at the area where the timing belt is closest to it's other side, it just barely won't touch.
Old 10-10-2010, 01:52 PM
onspeed
Burning Brakes

Is it possible that it's actually running normal temperature now, and that it was running rich before I changed the o2 and pot on the maf sensor?

Also, there's a whinning noise that I'm like 90% sure i've always heard from the car, but my mind might be playing tricks on me. I think it sounds like it's coming from the upper balance shaft sprocket, if i place a screw driver on it, or in the little fitting where the airtube is supposed to connect, and listen to it I can hear it and it'll change with RPM. It's not like a loud high-pitch one like the arnnworx overtightened balance belt demo ( http://www.arnnworx.com/MOV00999.MPG ) but I just want to check if this is normal. I'll get a video as soon as my camera battery charges.
Old 10-10-2010, 04:41 PM
onspeed
Burning Brakes

vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m17qPHFmgaE

Quick Reply: Timing belt and TDC alignment problem.