Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

new turbo in the mix, bigger downpipe needed?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 06:44 PM
TurboTommy
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CPR
Based off of the information he has provided the turbo will have:

~turbine inducer diameter= 84
~turbine exducer diameter= 68

What information was there indicating that he has that size of a turbine wheel?
Didn't he just describe the compressor which was married to a KKK, which I didn't think could support that big of a turbine wheel.
Anyway, his next post confirmed stage 5 wheel which has a 62 mm exducer.
So ya, big turbo. It's a tad overkill, but with that combination of wheels and a #8 hot-housing, it's workable. It won't be an overly narrow powerband.
Definitely a 3" downpipe, a separate independant pipe for wastegate exhaust, leave the cam stock, install heavier valve springs, and it's gonna be a decent workable powerband.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:29 PM
running_cold924
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yep, it does help to give the right info.....I'm such a newb sometimes...
Old 10-06-2010, 10:07 PM
CPR
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboTommy
What information was there indicating that he has that size of a turbine wheel?
Didn't he just describe the compressor which was married to a KKK, which I didn't think could support that big of a turbine wheel.
Anyway, his next post confirmed stage 5 wheel which has a 62 mm exducer.
So ya, big turbo. It's a tad overkill, but with that combination of wheels and a #8 hot-housing, it's workable. It won't be an overly narrow powerband.
Definitely a 3" downpipe, a separate independant pipe for wastegate exhaust, leave the cam stock, install heavier valve springs, and it's gonna be a decent workable powerband.
He has since edited his OP, but original information was (see where I quoted him post #12):

Originally Posted by running_cold924

I went with the GT3582R turbo, .70A/R, 56trim...

1. The turbine wheels on a GT3582 are all the same (for all 3 models). The trim is the only thing that would change, as I noted.

2. As I stated earlier, sure it is workable, but at what point are you investing a couple grand to try and make the wrong....ok, less than ideal....turbo perform decently? $350 for a DP, another couple hundred for custom WG piping/labor, and at least a $1,000 for valve springs and associated headwork as nobody goes that far into the head without doing 'while you in there' work.

So we are back at a couple thousand to make a turbo operate at roughly 80% efficency (see Garrett flow charts + KKK restrictive hotside), instead of selling it and buying one that will work at 99.9% efficiency and have the owner absolutely 100% satisfied....and worse case he will only have to shell out a few hundered or so to add to the money he makes off selling his current one.

Just my opinion, everyone is free to do what they want with their own cars.Just saying I would not do this to any of mine
Old 10-06-2010, 10:38 PM
running_cold924
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I doubt any will ever work at 99.9% efficiency as long as the KKK hot side is being used...

anything other than a "stock" turbo should be enough satisfaction. That's the whole reasoning in mods to begin with...the never-ending battle for improvement...
Old 10-06-2010, 10:51 PM
CPR
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by running_cold924
I doubt any will ever work at 99.9% efficiency as long as the KKK hot side is being used...

anything other than a "stock" turbo should be enough satisfaction. That's the whole reasoning in mods to begin with...the never-ending battle for improvement...
I meant 99% in regards to the map efficiency, and I was definitely not recommending using any turbo with a KKK HS.

Anyway, just bolt it on and have fun with it.

Best of luck
Old 10-07-2010, 04:11 AM
nick_968
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Out of interest has anyone actually come up with a complete kit that allows you to bolt on a true GT turbo rather than a hybrid. i.e. mount, modified crossover, downpipe and plumbing?
Old 10-07-2010, 05:55 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

A GT3582R is a great turbo. Look at my dyno-thread, that's the sweet spot for that turbo.
On a mildly modded 2.5l 8v it just won't perform as well as a smaller turbo would. Sure it works fine (I've tried it) but it's not the fastest setup available.
A smaller turbo, GT3071R or GT3076R depending on boost etc, would give more power under the curve.
Old 10-08-2010, 12:07 AM
TurboTommy
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nick_968
Out of interest has anyone actually come up with a complete kit that allows you to bolt on a true GT turbo rather than a hybrid. i.e. mount, modified crossover, downpipe and plumbing?

I think SFR. $$$

Quick Reply: new turbo in the mix, bigger downpipe needed?