Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

help, fire! part it for ls1 or part it all and go to 911?!

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 04:00 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Just saw this

Sorry Royce
I guess is good that I didn't see this until now ... that way I didin't have to tell you what my choice would be ...
Good luck with your conversion, beautiful car ...
Best regards
Ed
Old 11-13-2010, 04:25 AM
onspeed
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

heads and cam maybe?
Old 11-13-2010, 07:19 PM
rdanford
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

stock heads and cam....we are working on exact setup of the exhaust this weekend (2.5" dual all the way back)
Old 11-13-2010, 07:21 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A cam and valve spring package.

That is so easy to do, relatively not expensive, and worth a solid 40Hp.

Trying to do it later in the car will be a tough job.

TonyG
Old 11-13-2010, 09:22 PM
rdanford
Racer

This is more of a driver not race car...looking for solid reliability. I understand there are things that could gain HP but looking to keep it simple
Old 11-13-2010, 09:48 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Originally Posted by rdanford
This is more of a driver not race car...looking for solid reliability. I understand there are things that could gain HP but looking to keep it simple
Ok... but you'll be doing it down the road after you get tired of the flat top end power of the stock smog cam. The stock cam kills the power at 5500 rpm.

Also... a cam and valve spring package won't do anything to the reliability. And if you choose the correct cam, it will still idle just like a stock cam (that's what mine idles like).

Lastly... if you're not going to do a cam and headers... there's no reason to do a dual exhaust. You won't gain a thing. You might as well do a Y setup into a regular 951 cat back single exhaust.

Here's a nice article:

http://www.superchevy.com/technical/...en3/index.html

TonyG

TonyG
Old 11-13-2010, 09:49 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Ok... but you'll be doing it down the road after you get tired of the flat top end power of the stock smog cam. The stock cam kills the power at 5500 rpm.

Also... a cam and valve spring package won't do anything to the reliability. And if you choose the correct cam, it will still idle just like a stock cam (that's what mine idles like).

Lastly... if you're not going to do a cam and headers... there's no reason to do a dual exhaust. You won't gain a thing. You might as well do a Y setup into a regular 951 cat back single exhaust.

Here's a nice article:

TonyG
Old 11-13-2010, 10:02 PM
elargentino
Banned

Originally Posted by TonyG

Here's a nice article:

TonyG
All true, but let's not forget that in the end, the strong suit of the 951 is torque.
You can dress it up and take it out, but when you sober up, its still a long stroke, big piston dummy that likes to wake up early.
Noone knows better than me, dude.
Old 11-13-2010, 10:19 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Originally Posted by elargentino
All true, but let's not forget that in the end, the strong suit of the 951 is torque.
You can dress it up and take it out, but when you sober up, its still a long stroke, big piston dummy that likes to wake up early.
Noone knows better than me, dude.

The right cam will get him 40-50HP and probably close to that in torque as well. It's a win-win proposition.

Besides... where can you get that kind of power for $300ish... and an hour of your time.

Oh.... and the piston size of the the LS1 is 99.1mm The piston size of the 951 engine is 100mm.

TonyG
Old 11-13-2010, 10:24 PM
elargentino
Banned

Originally Posted by TonyG
The right cam will get him 40-50HP and probably close to that in torque as well. It's a win-win proposition.

Besides... where can you get that kind of power for $300ish... and an hour of your time.

Oh.... and the piston size of the the LS1 is 99.1mm The piston size of the 951 engine is 100mm.

TonyG
I know, I know, I know - I know you know, you know I know.
You're going to spend big money making HP, and fight your way all the way up the river - then you can make a close ratio gearbox for $20,000 to use it, or you can use what Porsche gave you and exploit the natural strengths of the thing.
Old 11-13-2010, 10:52 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Originally Posted by elargentino
I know, I know, I know - I know you know, you know I know.
You're going to spend big money making HP, and fight your way all the way up the river - then you can make a close ratio gearbox for $20,000 to use it, or you can use what Porsche gave you and exploit the natural strengths of the thing.
I know we both know....

And btw, the cool thing about the V8 swap is the 951 gear ratios. They work great for the V8.

And I agree about the money thing. Been there.... My point was that the cam is relatively cheap and super easy to do with the engine out of the. And on an otherwise stock engine gives great HP and TQ increases while not giving up anything in the TQ or idle quality department.

As far as bang for the buck goes.... you can't beat the cam upgrade.

TonyG
Old 11-13-2010, 11:14 PM
rdanford
Racer

What cam and valve spring package would you recommend? I'm at 5200 ft, running dual exhaust very similar to Doc's....need to pass emissions to top it off
Old 11-13-2010, 11:43 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Originally Posted by rdanford
What cam and valve spring package would you recommend? I'm at 5200 ft, running dual exhaust very similar to Doc's....need to pass emissions to top it off
I use the MTI Stealth 2 cam. It is MTI's grind which is done at Comp Cams. MTI is out of business, but you can call Comp Cams and have them grind you one.

You will need stiffer valve springs than the stock valve springs (standard issue here). I upgraded to a TI retainer to give me that little extra bit of RPM.

If you email me, I will scan the cam card and send it to you. Just tell Comp Cams to grind that exact cam.

And... here's a little bonus... if you're not running cats, do the dual exhaust and headers, I can send you a map for your ECU or if you have a 2000 or 2001 ECU, you can send it to me and I can map your computer for you for free.

Anyway... that's the perfect stock sounding cam that really delivers great performance.

I just took it out of my LS1 that finally died and stuck it (and the valve springs) into my brand new LS6 (that's how much I like the cam).

TonyG
Old 03-30-2011, 11:27 PM
rdanford
Racer

Swap is complete...Car runs great and is more than expected! Eric with Texas Performance Concepts has made this entire swap a wonderful experience. Pictures will follow as the car is now washed and back in my garage.
Old 03-31-2011, 01:22 AM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Great news! I can't wait for pics and video.

Quick Reply: help, fire! part it for ls1 or part it all and go to 911?!