Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Just how stiff can we go...???

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 04:45 PM
George D
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mikey_audiogeek
Ain't gonna happen, unfortunately. See other thread.
Tony always has something up his sleeve. I bet he'll put another motor in the 951-8. Selling the car with everything but the motor for 15K is a good deal. A decent wrencher can put a few grand and some time into this car and have some fun.

G
Old 07-08-2020, 10:54 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

Stumbled across this thread searching for something else. I suppose to update the topic the car did get caged and we went up to over 1500lbs springs on all 4 corners. It did have a couple of other modifications along the way.

Still on R spec tyres we eventually were quicker than pretty much most other Porsche racecars in this country. So it can be done. However budgeting for this or a nicer retirement are mutually exclusive!!
ps...I am potentially going to be selling this car. Needs some work done on it to bring it up to scratch. Looking to sell in 2021 if any are interested.

The following users liked this post:
David Floyd (07-08-2020)
Old 07-08-2020, 11:00 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

always loved this car/glws
The following users liked this post:
333pg333 (07-09-2020)
Old 08-27-2020, 01:57 AM
superloaf
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Ha, rear engine race car is going to leave everything in mid corner! Have you ridden in a 911 on the track? It's eye opening to say the least. Where we're slowly unwinding steering and counting the seconds before we can go full throttle, the 911 driver is long gone! It's insane how early they can go full throttle and literally leap out of the corners. And I wasn't in a modern Cup Car but a 964 RS America with STREET tires! I couldn't believe it! There is absolutely no way to compete with that. Maybe you can go high HP and gain some time in the straights but they'll always leave you behind in the corner exits.

Nice clip and your car seems crazy fast! And sounds great too!
Old 08-27-2020, 04:55 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by superloaf
Ha, rear engine race car is going to leave everything in mid corner! Have you ridden in a 911 on the track? It's eye opening to say the least. Where we're slowly unwinding steering and counting the seconds before we can go full throttle, the 911 driver is long gone! It's insane how early they can go full throttle and literally leap out of the corners. And I wasn't in a modern Cup Car but a 964 RS America with STREET tires! I couldn't believe it! There is absolutely no way to compete with that. Maybe you can go high HP and gain some time in the straights but they'll always leave you behind in the corner exits.

Yes, I've been in a few fast rear engine Porsches. Agree, they seem to be able to do things we can't and corner exit is their best feature. I suppose I'd counter that by saying we catch them under brakes and through mid corner speed on medium to fast sweepers. So they both have pros and cons. I'd say that if we had time to test compared to the Cup car crowd who of course have the factory behind them, then I'd put my car up against any Porsche in the country and we're not on slicks nor do we have sequential transmission (which is a huge advantage). It's all a bit of fun to postulate.
Old 08-27-2020, 06:40 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by superloaf

Geez, I tend to run up the butts of 911s with the Mini Cooper in the corners at Watkins Glen. (including some RS Americas - which are very nice cars!)
Old 08-27-2020, 10:39 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chris White
Geez, I tend to run up the butts of 911s with the Mini Cooper in the corners at Watkins Glen. (including some RS Americas - which are very nice cars!)
Exactly. They tend to have to brake in a straight line earlier than other cars. They do exit very well though. For sure they're a totally different but extremely fun driving experience.
More tactile than the 944 chassis.

Quick Reply: Just how stiff can we go...???