Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Rear seat delete project

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2010 | 06:57 PM
DrZ1
Burning Brakes

Default Rear seat delete project

It will be a nice addition, fiqured I would get it setup, before the roll bar goes in.

UPS had some fun w/ it so, I will need to do some work. I plan to try to adapt it a little more to the car, since there are some gaps.

I plan to redo the carpet with the same interior carpet I took out of my track project.

Anyway I will post progress.

Steve
Attached Images      
Old 09-17-2010 | 07:02 PM
DrZ1
Burning Brakes

First attempt at fiber glass. I have setting up, I will smooth one more coat and then trim up. Lucklily carpet will cover it.
Attached Images   
Old 09-18-2010 | 06:53 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

I've started doing the same project. I've got to work out how to bolt the cubby in, as both my Rennline bar and the cubby share the same mount points. I think I need to fab some custom brackets.

The cubbies are a nice addition to the car, because it gives a place to store small valuables out of sight. (my car has no door pockets and there hasn't been a back seat or hatch cover in it for years)
Old 09-18-2010 | 09:16 PM
DrZ1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by tifosiman
I've started doing the same project. I've got to work out how to bolt the cubby in, as both my Rennline bar and the cubby share the same mount points. I think I need to fab some custom brackets.

The cubbies are a nice addition to the car, because it gives a place to store small valuables out of sight. (my car has no door pockets and there hasn't been a back seat or hatch cover in it for years)
You have these brackets?

Steve
Attached Images  
Old 09-18-2010 | 09:25 PM
DrZ1
Burning Brakes

Finished the fiberglass. Seeing as I really had never done it, had no real supplies, did not feel like going 30 miles to find the materials a friend reccomended, It did not turn out too bad.

I rushed it adding more hardner, because it was sooo hot out, and I fiqured it was going under carpet anyway.

I will post again when I install. Need to install rollbar first.

Steve
Attached Images  
Old 09-20-2010 | 09:40 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Originally Posted by DrZ1
You have these brackets?

Steve
Yep, those are the ones.
Old 09-20-2010 | 10:03 AM
CurtP
Drifting

From the one picture, it doesn't look like you have the box sitting the correct position. On the 944/951, it needs to come forward a bit, and it drops down on the hump a lot better. The doors end up with about a 25mm overhang. The metal brackets need to be tweaked a little to get them to line up correctly.

If you want the doors to sit flush with the carpeted areas below it, you will have to trim some of the wood on the underside where it meets the hump. The only issue with that is the rear corners are a little too wide to fit down and it will tilt instead of sit level. Since you're modifying most of that anyway, it probably won't be hard to correct.

This is mine too far back:

With it pushed back like that, here's where it's too wide to push down:

Only thing I did here was slide it forward about 25mm:

Here's how I finished mine:

Last edited by CurtP; 09-20-2010 at 02:12 PM.
Old 09-20-2010 | 12:26 PM
DrZ1
Burning Brakes

Yeah, I just threw it in there to show basically what was added, so the position may be off. Also with the door and center trim piece off, it looks furthur back. I wanted to have the carpet on the storgae compartment closer to the quarter panels to fill in the gap. But if I had the same carpet color, I would definately not gone through the trouble.

Steve
Old 09-20-2010 | 01:17 PM
DanaT
Three Wheelin'

That appears to be a speaker enclosure. You guys running subs in those? Who makes that?

-Dana
Old 09-20-2010 | 01:33 PM
DrZ1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DanaT
That appears to be a speaker enclosure. You guys running subs in those? Who makes that?

-Dana
I have a sub in the rear right wheel well space with a KLA Box. I don't plan to put a sub here since I have the other, but would be a option.

These are stock pieces in the 944S2 and 968 cabriolet.

I bought mine from Ok Foregin. I think they have one more.

Steve
Old 09-20-2010 | 02:12 PM
CurtP
Drifting

No sub in mine and no plans to do so. I use mine for storage and to keep things out of sight.
Old 09-20-2010 | 02:16 PM
CurtP
Drifting

Originally Posted by DrZ1
Yeah, I just threw it in there to show basically what was added, so the position may be off. Also with the door and center trim piece off, it looks furthur back. I wanted to have the carpet on the storgae compartment closer to the quarter panels to fill in the gap. But if I had the same carpet color, I would definately not gone through the trouble.
I was looking at your second picture before you had it torn apart. I just wanted you to be aware before you got too far along.
Old 09-20-2010 | 04:11 PM
DrZ1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CurtP
I was looking at your second picture before you had it torn apart. I just wanted you to be aware before you got too far along.
Sure,

I had thown in for a pic as well. When I did the fiberglass, I had the unit bolted in place which showed a small gap at the tunnel where the carpet started. I was planning to place carpet under it. But if it does not look good I will move it forward.

Thanks for the heads up.

Steve

Quick Reply: Rear seat delete project