Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

what the heck is wrong with my car? it idles at 2000rpms when ever it wants

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 09:20 PM
TheDice951
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what the heck is wrong with my car? it idles at 2000rpms when ever it wants

OK, when i go out to my garage and start the car it idles fine. when its cold out, it idles fine for the most part. when I'm driving for about 10 min. or so, the rpms stay around 2000rpm and when I'm shifting they are really slow coming back down at any rpm. when i sit at a light when it is doing this the rpms usually just stay at 2000rpm but if it does go down it slowly goes down to 1000 and then back up to 2000. this has been an issue for awhile and thought it had to do with the temp. outside and the car temp. now my car temp seems to stay at an average level and it still does it and i have no idea why now. so, its not overheating, i don't have any vacuum leaks, my idle control thing seems to work unless it can be intermittent.... sometimes it doesn't do it at all and sometimes it does it all the time. I'm so confused???
Old 09-16-2010, 09:46 PM
samluke
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Idle stbilizer valve, vac leak, idle screw uncrewed.
Old 09-16-2010, 10:05 PM
951kaos
Advanced

Had a similar intermittent problem with the throttle not returning to normal idle speed and would not coast smoothly when the foot is off the accelerator, as if the throttle was hagging up; my wide band O2 meter was reading rich during coasting (12-14, normally 21 when coasting/off throttle). Ruled out the idle stabilizer valve, as the car would idle smoothly even at the higher idle speed and A/F ratio was normal (14.7). Checked the operation of the throttle cable and was not binding. Suspected the throttle position sensor, even though it was setup properly as per Clark's garage; possibly something internal was worn out or dirt build up, replaced the sensor and the car runs fine now.
Old 09-16-2010, 10:05 PM
chrenan
Three Wheelin'

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Add to that it could be the TPS, I had similar issues with mine.
Old 09-16-2010, 11:26 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 That is definitely a TPS issue if you haven't touched anything prior to the issue arising.
Old 09-17-2010, 12:55 AM
TheDice951
Racer

ok, that is waht i am trying then.... i know its not the Idle stbilizer valve, vac leak or the idle screw uncrewed.... i will do that and see what happens..... thanks guys
Old 09-17-2010, 08:32 AM
samluke
Burning Brakes

Could also be a sticking butterfly or poor shaft/throttle body sealing, allowing bleed air past the butterfly. Check that the throttle butterfly is going back all the way and hitting the hard stop, and listen for the click on the TPS. Re-sealing the Throttle body is fairly straightforward. One way to check throttle body sealing is to screw the idle screw all the way in. If the car doesn't respond much to idle screw changes then there's a leak somewhere. If the car still idles, especially if its a high idle then air is getting in either through the throttle body or through the ISV circuit, or some other path.

Last edited by samluke; 09-17-2010 at 09:26 AM.
Old 09-17-2010, 11:39 AM
choinga
Three Wheelin'

I tried tracking down weird idle issue a long time ago...finally gave in and bought a new TPS, ISV and rebuilt the throttle body with the Arnworx kit...runs like a top now. For whatever reason, dinking with any of those individually (cleaning them, adjusting them, whatever...) was not working...

I call them the "ghosts of Ferdinand..."

Quick Reply: what the heck is wrong with my car? it idles at 2000rpms when ever it wants