Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Methanol Injection?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 06:58 PM
asiancaucasian
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by theedge
Not really. Only becomes somewhat true with a good meth injection setup that has lots of safely features and fail safes. Otherwise E85 > Meth injection.
I'd run E85 if I could but as you probably know, there's not too many stations up here for us.
Old 09-08-2010, 08:34 PM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
Meth injection is great, for a drag strip, OK for a lightly driven street car, but hell for a daily driver or distance car...
I disagree on the street car/DD thing. Unless you are constantly driving WOT everywhere you go a 1-3gal tank will last quite a while. I forget what size nozzle I have with my coolingmist setup, but on an old car I would have it engage ~8psi (out of 15psi) and daily driving I would go through about 1.5-2gal in a month. If you just check the meth tank like you do your gas tank you don't have to worry about running out. You can even get level sensors to warn you when you are getting low.

I've DD'd meth injection on two different cars for several years and never had a problem.
Old 09-08-2010, 08:41 PM
Adam Poland
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

E85 is expensive...and no stations here either. I ran a tank of Sunoco 110 octane and gained quite a bit of power, but only for that one tank.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:40 PM
running_cold924
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

damn......just scored a used coolingmist setup from a buddy for next to nothing. BUT, after reading this post, a little leery about installing it and killing my car.

http://www.coolingmist.com/pagedispl...ey=gasvehicles
Old 09-08-2010, 10:46 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMHO those guys need to be taken with a grain of salt...
Actually they talk so much crap, they need to be taken with an entire salt lick, but interesting reading none the less...
Old 09-08-2010, 10:52 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by alxdgr8
I disagree on the street car/DD thing. Unless you are constantly driving WOT everywhere you go a 1-3gal tank will last quite a while. I forget what size nozzle I have with my coolingmist setup, but on an old car I would have it engage ~8psi (out of 15psi) and daily driving I would go through about 1.5-2gal in a month. If you just check the meth tank like you do your gas tank you don't have to worry about running out. You can even get level sensors to warn you when you are getting low.

I've DD'd meth injection on two different cars for several years and never had a problem.
I daily driver mine too, at 15PSI, no need for Meth injection... and by daily driver I am driving 150+ miles a day, tank of gas every other day, mostly highway, if your meth setup is ONLY monitoring your boost signal, you are asking for it to fail...

There are daily drivers on here who accrue less than 5K a year on their cars, I can kill 5K in a month if I have fun runs on the weekends.

Meth injection is GREAT, unless you are using the car for extended periods, if the car is being used for extended periods you are FAR better off properly tuning it to the limits of the engine.. rather than relying on a band aid to keep your motor together. if there are no tie backs to keep the EMS in the meth injection loop, you are either using meth for no reason or driving a ticking time bomb... one fault of your meth system, and you either prove you dont need it anyway, or prove you did need it...
Old 09-09-2010, 03:37 AM
JDS968
Bannana Shine
Rennlist Member

Received 334 Likes on 219 Posts

I would NOT do this, unless running a integrated electronic boost controller (stand alone or Vitesse) that can accept the fluid low level input to lower the target boost... the meth WILL allow higher boost / timing, BUT will sacrifice safety and protection of the engine to do it... run out of fluid, get a clog, get an air bubble in the line... all it takes is a split second and boom...
Not really. Only becomes somewhat true with a good meth injection setup that has lots of safely features and fail safes. Otherwise E85 > Meth injection.
I daily driver mine too, at 15PSI, no need for Meth injection... and by daily driver I am driving 150+ miles a day, tank of gas every other day, mostly highway, if your meth setup is ONLY monitoring your boost signal, you are asking for it to fail...

There are daily drivers on here who accrue less than 5K a year on their cars, I can kill 5K in a month if I have fun runs on the weekends.

Meth injection is GREAT, unless you are using the car for extended periods, if the car is being used for extended periods you are FAR better off properly tuning it to the limits of the engine.. rather than relying on a band aid to keep your motor together. if there are no tie backs to keep the EMS in the meth injection loop, you are either using meth for no reason or driving a ticking time bomb... one fault of your meth system, and you either prove you dont need it anyway, or prove you did need it...
Jeez, such worrying...

Here, $160 and you're safe. W/M stops flowing for any reason, your wastegate and diverter valve pop open, everybody's happy.

Hell, you could probably build something like that yourself from a few Radio Shack bits and pieces.
Old 09-09-2010, 05:09 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Fishey
Meth > E85
If Meth > E85 then headgasket = kablooey.
How much boost do you want to run?
Old 09-09-2010, 05:12 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Poland
E85 is expensive...and no stations here either. I ran a tank of Sunoco 110 octane and gained quite a bit of power, but only for that one tank.
How expensive is it? It's meant to be cheaper than pump and you've got +/- 105oct.
Old 09-09-2010, 07:42 AM
azmi951
Drifting

Since we are on the subject, any experiences here with nozzle volume? How much meth/water should a normal 300-350hp 951 need?
Old 09-09-2010, 08:41 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by azmi951
Since we are on the subject, any experiences here with nozzle volume? How much meth/water should a normal 300-350hp 951 need?
None. Good 93 Octane will get you there.

Suggest turbo upgrade, as well as other upgrades to a stock 951 (MAF, Fuel Injectors, Fuel Pump, exhaust, etc..) but a bone stock engine, on pump gas, with minimal upgrading, should be able to nail 350 with no additional power adders, or EMS enhancements other than the basics. This has been proven over and over again.

METH should only be a consideration for someone pushing thier motors envelope, say to beyond 400 RWHP, where additional boost and timing advance are required to get there. But then additional fueling, beter timing and fueling control, upgraded engine internals, upgraded exhaust, as well as other mods are required to prevent the entire car from coming apart.

Remember, the factory turbo S cars were making 247 rated HP at the crank, which should yield 215-220 at the wheels if you give up 10-15% in drivetrain loss.

300-350 isnt unobtainable on pump gass, and if you dont have supporting mods for it, then meth MIGHT help you get there by covering up other areas that need to be addressed. And eventually it will grenade on you, in spite of the meth.
Old 09-09-2010, 09:09 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by JDS968
Jeez, such worrying...

Here, $160 and you're safe. W/M stops flowing for any reason, your wastegate and diverter valve pop open, everybody's happy.

Hell, you could probably build something like that yourself from a few Radio Shack bits and pieces.
Originally Posted by SnowPerformance
Benefits:
• Ability to run extreme tunes and high boost with safety.
• Automatically warns driver and/or reduces boost or timing if fluid flow insufficient.
• Easy installation.
reduces boost or timing... not both excess of either will cause damage, hence the need for meth in the first place.

Originally Posted by SnowPerformance
*Note - Safe Injection cannot be used with Stage 1 Gasoline Systems *
Oh, so the most popular (cheapest) setup they sell, this WONT work with.

Remember, I have not said NO ONE should or should not run Meth injection. I have only said you need to be smart about it, and it needs to be fully inetgrated with the rest of the car.

If Meth injection STOPS WORKING for any reason, timing and boost both need to be pulled, they indicate the possability to pull timing with their safeinjection system, and list MSD AND J&S as instructions that are included.... um.... thos two work radicaly different... one is a knock monitor and control, the other is an ignition system, no knock monitor... The J&S setup allows for an input to affect a user defined timing retard as long as the input is being recieved. that input can be any 12VDC switched input (nitrous valve, safeinjection solenoid signal, or a push button), the MSD box allows for an input to cut or retard the ignition.

The best option IMHO for the safeinjection system, on an otherwise stock 951, would be for it to kill the DME relay... but I seriously doubt anyone here, buying a $125 meth injection system, is going to spring for the additional $150 for the safeinjection, nor any of the optional (read cost more $$) pieces, nor would they tie it back into the car to cut the DME, the timing, or any other possible cut point.

The OP asked if anyone HAD done meth on a 951, the answer to that is yes.

SHOULD everyone do meth injection on their car? The anwser to that is no. but then not everyone NEEDS to.

ONLY if you are running a custom tune, at the ragged edge of safety to maximize the performance, and cant reach that extra 30 HP you KNOW is in there.. should you be considdering meth injection... if you are driving around with a LR instant HP kit, and running stock eveything else... dont bother, it is just a waste of time and money... but then hell it is YOUR time and money...

While you are at it, might I suggest some cool stick on vents from advance auto, or maybe a cowl indiction hood.. I hear those are popular upgrades that result in more power at the but dyno that meth injection.... and while at advance, dont forget the stickers, they add 5 HP each I hear!
Old 09-09-2010, 09:17 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Adam Poland
Just out of curiosity, HOW did you gain power from puting 110 in your tank?

Did you also advance your timing, or raise your boost, or both?

Or did you just put in the 110, and take a few pulls on the but dyno?

I am sure it FELT faster... it had electrolytes.... and electrolytes are what plants need...
Old 09-09-2010, 05:56 PM
azmi951
Drifting

I am sure it FELT faster... it had electrolytes.... and electrolytes are what plants need...
"Water, like from the toilet????"
Old 09-09-2010, 06:37 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

"Brawndo - The thirst mutilator"

Quick Reply: Methanol Injection?