Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Head Gasket Seal Test

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 12:14 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by 944V8inDFW
... is there a called out factory spec for flatness on the block? I have seen several on the head but dont recall seeing one for the block.
I have not been able to find one for the block, just the head. It may be out there, but I haven't seen it either.
Old 09-07-2010, 12:31 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

Duke, those pictures don't really do it justice. In person, close up, you can see where some areas are getting marginally more pressure than others. The lower sheet seems to have more variation than the upper, but when I send it in for thier color analysis, I should have a better idea. At least it confirmed the block/head are making contact all around.

I've never had much luck with light behind the straigtedge on the block -- at least in the engine bay -- just too hard to get a good view and lots of gaps, etc. Works great (better than feeler gauge) on the head though.

Van, the film comes 10.5" wide. I bought two feet of it and cut it down the middle, then punched stud holes using an old gasket as the pattern. If you need it wider, you'd just need to buy more film. This stuff is not engine-specific, but seems like they should make kits pre-cut for popular gaskets (they don't, I asked).
Old 09-07-2010, 12:34 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Van
Copper?
Thats what I thought but discussions in the past had many saying copper is not really suited for our needs. ??

Tom, Chris??? Copper hg?
Old 09-07-2010, 07:26 PM
dand86951
Burning Brakes

Several years ago I tried a copper HG on a Darton sleeved motor. End results were it wasn't any better than a widefire HG. It also tended to leak when cold. I don't think the Copper was any worse than the Wide Fire either. I understand there are now coated copper HGs that will mold into some of the imperfections so they may be a good alternative for high boost applications.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:46 PM
beentherebaby
Racer

Most copper HGs don't have much if any resiliency compared to composite or laminate HGs. Even the newer synthetic copper HGs are pretty "dead" onced compressed. This can be a issue when the thermal expansion that occurs in all engines, especially those with aluminum cyl. heads.

Quick Reply: Head Gasket Seal Test