Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Wheel spacers

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 11:45 AM
DrZ1
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Wheel spacers

Looking for reccomendations for best source to obtain wheels spacers. I have an 86 944 w/ early offset. I have ran a set of Fikse Fm-10 17" wheels w/ no problems. However I have upgraded to 87 hub and spindles as well as big black calipers. Now when setting the wheel on w/o even putting on the lug nuts the wheel rubs slightly, but when fully torqued down, I am sure it would be unable to rotate.

Not sure what thickness of spacer, guessing btwwn 5-10mm and where to purchase? Would like to probably try a 5mm and if I need more send back for a thicker one. Any suggestions on best source to contact for spacers?

Or any one run Fm-10's and big blacks? Not sure if the change of hub and spindlels makes the fittment worse.

Thanks
Steve
Old 09-05-2010, 03:36 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by DrZ1
Looking for reccomendations for best source to obtain wheels spacers. I have an 86 944 w/ early offset. I have ran a set of Fikse Fm-10 17" wheels w/ no problems. However I have upgraded to 87 hub and spindles as well as big black calipers. Now when setting the wheel on w/o even putting on the lug nuts the wheel rubs slightly, but when fully torqued down, I am sure it would be unable to rotate.

Not sure what thickness of spacer, guessing btwwn 5-10mm and where to purchase? Would like to probably try a 5mm and if I need more send back for a thicker one. Any suggestions on best source to contact for spacers?

Or any one run Fm-10's and big blacks? Not sure if the change of hub and spindlels makes the fittment worse.

Thanks
Steve
So you ran the Fikse's with your original early-offset '86 suspension and no spacers, and now you've updated to '87+ late offset and are trying to run early offset wheels?

Pretty sure that can't be done. Spacers are used to run late offset wheels on early offset suspension - not the other way around.
Old 09-05-2010, 04:33 PM
azbanks
Freedom Enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I got a set from vertex auto. Their customer service was great.
Old 09-05-2010, 05:35 PM
951Saga
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So the wheel is rubbing the big black caliper? If so and you would still have room between the tire and fender, I’m sure 5mm would be fine.

Here are some links:
Paragon Products
Pelican Parts
Old 09-05-2010, 09:31 PM
Max Energy
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Steve,
H&R makes some nice quality spacers for our car. The thinnest that H&R offers are 7MM and 14MM.
If you would like to try some 7MM spacers I have an extra set from my 1989 Turbo.
Max
225 573-0664
Old 09-05-2010, 09:59 PM
DrZ1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Max Energy
Steve,
H&R makes some nice quality spacers for our car. The thinnest that H&R offers are 7MM and 14MM.
If you would like to try some 7MM spacers I have an extra set from my 1989 Turbo.
Max
225 573-0664
Thanks, that would be super. I should be in BR in 2 weeks. I would like to try them out, Plus like to see how you car is coming w/ the LS1 conversion.

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
So you ran the Fikse's with your original early-offset '86 suspension and no spacers, and now you've updated to '87+ late offset and are trying to run early offset wheels?

Pretty sure that can't be done. Spacers are used to run late offset wheels on early offset suspension - not the other way around.

I upgraded the hub and spindles only, and it was supposed to kept the same offset by keeping the rest of the suspension. I have Adj camber plates to compensate for the change.

Be honset I was having problems w/ the grease cap before fitting under the wheel center cap. I was able to beat and grind the caps enough to fit, but rather correct both with the spacer.

Steve
Old 09-06-2010, 04:48 PM
ELLSSUU
Geaux Tigers!
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

DRZ1,

Time for some new wheels and to make someone a spanking hot deal on those FM10's. Hint hint.
Old 09-06-2010, 07:58 PM
DrZ1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ELLSSUU
DRZ1,

Time for some new wheels and to make someone a spanking hot deal on those FM10's. Hint hint.
Yep, Already have another set, Picked up a used set for Profil 5s' w/ Hoosiers for the track. Plan to keep these for the street.

Steve
Old 05-31-2012, 12:31 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

one more reason to think twice before running wheel spacers.... or just not run them, period.

as you all know, the Porsche crap is almost as bad as the Jap crap.

http://lifeinc.today.msnbc.msn.com/_...ry-buyers?lite

Quick Reply: Wheel spacers