Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Dyno Results

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 11:15 AM
asiancaucasian
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Duke
So here's the basic calculation I was talking about..
Let's calculate the crank hp from 448 rwhp by using 12% driveline losses = 448/0.88 = 509 crank hp.
Think of boost as a multiplier of the engine breathing capacity in N/A form. So next step is to compensate for boost. That is done by dividing crank hp with (atm pressure + boost level) = 509 / (1+1.45 bar) = 208 bhp.

This engine would produce 208 bhp in N/A form? Not likeley.
Remember that only modifications that improve the engine breathing capacity (VE) will let the engine produce more power without changing boost (simplified). That means that regular bolt-ons don't net you more power without upping the boost. However, if done right they will let you run higher boost without loosing efficiency.
And in this case about the only mod improving VE is the exhaust. Even with headers, head work, cam etc it would be hard to reach 200+ bhp in N/A form.
Sigh, can't please everyone I guess. I just thought the community would like to see verified dyno charts from two different dynos with two different operators!! with my mods I ran the dynos within 2 days of each other as well with the only thing changing being the octane of the fuel. Didn't realize there would be this much scrutiny even with charts!

That being said, I'm going to politely step out of my own thread. If anyone does have questions, feel free to PM me and I'll be more than happy to help. I just hope that people that are contemplating or have a similar build/tune don't get detracted from some of the naysayers here
Old 09-08-2010, 11:49 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

So doing a basic calculation exercise and a basic explanation of how getting more power out of an engine is done makes you step out of your own thread? That seems a bit harsh
I considered my own post very polite and after all this is a technical forum, I would think technical posts were accepted.
Old 09-08-2010, 11:54 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 502 Posts

well at about 3000lbs and 500hp, clearly the thing to do is race an f430
Old 09-08-2010, 12:01 PM
asiancaucasian
Rennlist Member

So doing a basic calculation exercise and a basic explanation of how getting more power out of an engine is done makes you step out of your own thread? That seems a bit harsh
I considered my own post very polite and after all this is a technical forum, I would think technical posts were accepted.
Nah, you're not the naysayer. I actually appreciate your calculation. Actually while I was driving to work in said car, I thought a bit more about your math. I don't think it's completely unreasonable to expect 209bhp out of a naturally aspirated 944. For fun, let's say that it's equivalent to the NA's output of 150bhp. Cold Air Intake (mine is deep in the wheel well) with 3" inlet and MAF conversion... let's say 10hp. 3" catback. Let's say 10hp. Catless? Another 10hp. Tuning with timing? Another 10-15 hp? Not unreasonable to say 200ish.

Even if your calculations were correct, it still wouldn't be more than 20-30hp off they dyno charts.
Old 09-08-2010, 12:01 PM
asiancaucasian
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
well at about 3000lbs and 500hp, clearly the thing to do is race an f430
Actually.... it's been done On my old turbo though.
Old 09-08-2010, 12:05 PM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

I don't mean to be a naysayer, was just commenting (jealous) at how much more power you put down than me with not much more
Old 09-08-2010, 12:07 PM
asiancaucasian
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MM951
I don't mean to be a naysayer, was just commenting (jealous) at how much more power you put down than me with not much more
To be fair. My Super 61 is a "P" trim which is meant for loooots of boost at the cost of spoolup.
Old 09-08-2010, 12:10 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by asiancaucasian
Actually.... it's been done On my old turbo though.
Video???

Would love to see that race.
Old 09-08-2010, 12:11 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 502 Posts

Originally Posted by asiancaucasian
For fun, let's say that it's equivalent to the NA's output of 150bhp. Cold Air Intake (mine is deep in the wheel well) with 3" inlet and MAF conversion... let's say 10hp. 3" catback. Let's say 10hp. Catless? Another 10hp. Tuning with timing? Another 10-15 hp? Not unreasonable to say 200ish.
sadly, this isnt the case...
Old 09-08-2010, 12:13 PM
asiancaucasian
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by toddk911
Video???

Would love to see that race.
no unfortunately. It was at the track and sadly no one was filming at the time.
Old 09-08-2010, 12:48 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,226 Likes on 599 Posts

I would like to hear from the 944 track guys if 200hp is unreasonable in a tuned N/A car. I would guess it is probably the norm
Old 09-08-2010, 10:08 PM
TurboTommy
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So here's the basic calculation I was talking about..
Let's calculate the crank hp from 448 rwhp by using 12% driveline losses = 448/0.88 = 509 crank hp.
Think of boost as a multiplier of the engine breathing capacity in N/A form. So next step is to compensate for boost. That is done by dividing crank hp with (atm pressure + boost level) = 509 / (1+1.45 bar) = 208 bhp.

This engine would produce 208 bhp in N/A form? Not likeley.
+1
Yeah, on top of that the NA version is probably 10+ compression ratio, so you're behind there.
Then, I'd say the injectors are probably too small to support the supposed horsepower and are at 100%.The combination of the "on/off" meth injection not varying with the increased in RPM (this is normal) and the injectors reaching 100% duty cycle before max power reflect an increasing air/fuel number on the chart with raising RPM.
Also, to be on par with a NA in terms of VE and pumping losses, you probably have to be around 1.2 to 1 in turbine inlet pressure/boost pressure ratio. Highly doubtful that 500 crank horsepower is getting through the #8 housing.

I know some of yous are pretty defensive about your dyno charts and throwing around words of "proof" instead of "just belief".
But, I'd rather use some aquired knowledge and I'd be questioning the dyno charts, not posting them.
That's all I'm saying.

asiancaucasion;
You did say that you have "p-trim"
How big is the exhaust wheel and how big is your exhaust from the turbo back?
This means alot and you never know
Old 09-08-2010, 10:30 PM
asiancaucasian
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TurboTommy
+1

asiancaucasion;
You did say that you have "p-trim"
How big is the exhaust wheel and how big is your exhaust from the turbo back?
This means alot and you never know
To be honest, no idea how big the exhaust wheel is. I'd have to ask Lindsey for that info. I have 3" all the way from the turboback.

Well, not going to argue with you there. If you don't think my car makes 400+, well so be it, there's really no rhyme nor reason to try to dispute with you if I have two separate dynamometers saying I do... You post up a dynojet number and people want to see a "Mustang" chart. Post up a Mustang chart and people say that they can be fudged and want to see a Dynojet reading. Can't please everyone But seriously, I have nothing to prove here. My car is fast, it makes me happy and at least it's running correctly now! In fact, I was a bit surprised as well that it made 448, but I was aiming for at least 400 with the build.

Just keep in mind one variable that you guys may not have considered... Tuning for meth allows for a gigantic ton of timing up top which my tuner did do. If you take a look at the HPF E46 M3 meth kits, many guys were making huge gains as the tuning allowed for quite ridiculous timing up top. On the dyno dynamics run, we disconnected the meth and tuned for that and I made 358whp safely (I have the chart for that run somewhere as well.) so it's not really inconceivable to me that the numbers are possible. I'll have to get my duty cycle logged next time, but yes I am worried that it's nearing 100% although it really doesn't feel like I'm running out of fuel.
Old 09-09-2010, 12:21 AM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A P-Trim wheel is pretty big:

Inducer: 2.922"
Exducer: 2.544"

Definitely capable of that HP level in an #8 turbine housing.
Old 09-09-2010, 12:42 AM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,226 Likes on 599 Posts

Water/Meth injection is equivalent to running ~116 octane.

Quick Reply: Dyno Results