Timing Belt Service - Accuracy required to align timing marks

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 05:18 PM
dave08
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing Belt Service - Accuracy required to align timing marks

Hi,

I am in the process of doing a the timing belt/balance shaft/waterpump service on my 1987 944 Turbo. I am doing this for the first time, and am somewhat new to this work, so I have been working slowly and carefully.

I have aligned the crankshaft at TDC. I can see from the rectangular window on the top that the "hairline" mark in the flywheel is aligned with the tab, however since the tab is thicker (about 2mm in thickness), it is hard to tell if it is exactly centered in the width of the tab. I am trying to view it directly from above, but it is tough to know if it is perfect. I looked underneath at the 5mm wide mark on the bottom of the flywheel, and it appears to be centered in the clutch housing notch. I am just eyeballing it, but if it were off, it would only be by 1mm or so.

The other timing marks match up closely (but not perfect) on the cam gear/housing, and balance shaft pulleys. Am I close enough to TDC? What is the required accuracy for aligning the flywheel?

I just want to double check, and be extra careful before I lock flywheel and start undoing things.

Also, I have the Porsche special tool to tension the belts. I just wanted to check the tension on the existing belts to make sure I am using the tool correctly. I can't seem to get a reading on the timing belt. The needle seems to turn CCW while the scale increases Clockwise. Is something wrong?

Thanks for your help!

P.S. I have been follwing Van's video on youtube, clark's garage instructions and Porsche WM.
Old 09-04-2010, 05:35 PM
teamcrossworks
Rennlist Member

Seems like there is a few of us in the same boat.

Where are you located?
Old 09-04-2010, 05:43 PM
dave08
Track Day

Just added it to my profile, I'm in Toronto.
Old 09-04-2010, 10:05 PM
spanky
Rennlist Member

Received 739 Likes on 518 Posts

Jack up the front of the car, crawl underneth it with a good light in hand, find the 6 o clock location on the bell housing and you will find a 5 mm notch cut into it. Within the bell housing notch you will also be able to see the flywheel which also has a 5mm notch cut into it . At engine TDC position the flywheel will show its notch that is centered within this bell housing notch. Center this FW notch within the bell housing notch with the timing belt still in place Using a 24 mm socket and lock your engine using the transmission and the parking brake. , If you are also doing front seals and including the crankshaft seal , remove the starter and really lock the engine into TDC position by using an engine /flywheel locking tool. Never rotate or move the engine crank shaft with out a timing belt being in place. You can make small adjustments to the cam without the timing belt being in place and line it up with its TDC marks that are located at about the 1 o clock position looking at the engine fron a kneeling position in front of the car within the cam housing cover hole and the cam belt sprocket that has a line machined into it Good luck.
Old 09-04-2010, 11:26 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Glad the videos are helpful! I point out this lower flywheel mark in one of them. Sometimes the cam and balance shaft gears don't line exactly up with their respective marks - but there should be a position where it's "as close as it'll get". I.e. the cam pulley mark might not be exactly lined up, but if it was a tooth different in either direction, the alignment would be worse, not better. Does that help?
Old 09-05-2010, 10:16 AM
dave08
Track Day

Thanks for the responses.

I am aware of the 5mm alignment mark underneath the car. I have this aligned in the notch, and looking directly at it, it appears to be centred.

My question is, I've only eyeballed it in the centre of the notch. It may be off by a minute amount one way or another... Is this good enough?
Old 09-05-2010, 10:26 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dave08
I have this aligned in the notch, and looking directly at it, it appears to be centred.

My question is, I've only eyeballed it in the centre of the notch. It may be off by a minute amount one way or another... Is this good enough?
That will be good enough.
Old 09-05-2010, 10:36 AM
minho78
Burning Brakes

Once you are done turn the engine by hand just to make sure that there's no valve/piston colision.
Old 09-05-2010, 10:44 AM
dave08
Track Day

Great. Thanks for the help guys.
Old 09-06-2010, 12:15 PM
dave08
Track Day

Hi Guys,

I am still having difficulty, now that I am able to align the flywheel, when I install the lock, it will not engage with the 5mm mark being centred. I have tried moving it incrementally, and each time it locks to either side of the housing notch, but never in the middle. I am convinced teeth will not allow it to align in the middle. What should I do?

Thanks
Old 09-06-2010, 01:18 PM
Dryslick13
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

The timing mark on my flywheel would not line up exactly. It can be off slightly. Just make sure your cam gear mark is lined up and you should be good.
Old 09-06-2010, 04:52 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Time it (put the belts on) without the lock in place, then put the lock on to tighten down the front crank bolt (that's the only reason why you need the flywheel lock).

P.s. a good flywheel lock will have slots, rather than holes, so you can line it up exactly where you want!

Quick Reply: Timing Belt Service - Accuracy required to align timing marks