Values of 951s plumeting??

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 09:08 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Luis de Prat
Personally, I think low resale values are part of what makes the 951 great.

Unlike most other models it's a Porsche that just about anyone can buy and enjoy. Granted with some attention to upkeep, but affordable to buy nonetheless.
That is the same factor that does the most damage to resale values. MANY of the people who buy these cars are either young and semi-broke, or just semi-broke. They buy cheap, but can't afford to OWN the car. The result is that there are far too many examples of 951's being treated like **** and falling into disrepair. At some point, those cars will be canabalized and the parts will end up as our replacements, but until that time, we will see almost zero appreciation, from current prices.
Old 08-13-2010, 09:22 PM
rluciano
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ehall
That is the same factor that does the most damage to resale values. MANY of the people who buy these cars are either young and semi-broke, or just semi-broke. They buy cheap, but can't afford to OWN the car. The result is that there are far too many examples of 951's being treated like **** and falling into disrepair. At some point, those cars will be canabalized and the parts will end up as our replacements, but until that time, we will see almost zero appreciation, from current prices.
Similar things are going on with early Boxsters. I saw two the other day at my mechanics's place. Both needed about $8,000 of work to be drivable. Both would likely sell for $8-9,000 after the work. One of the owners was considering that if she couldn't get someone to pay her $1,000 she'd just give the car to the mechanic.
Old 08-13-2010, 09:45 PM
George D
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

911tt cars that were selling for 80K four years ago and now around 40K. The last of the air cooled 911 TT cars are holding up better.

A friend just purchased a Vanquish for $75k. These were going for close to $200k four to five years ago. This recession hit all sports cars hard.

The issue with these 951 cars is the entry fee is cheap for many, but the cost of just a clutch and new brakes can be half the actual value.

Driving a well sorted 951 is as much fun as any car I've driven. Maintaining a Porsche is expensive, no matter the model.
Old 08-13-2010, 09:55 PM
joe_951Turbo
Instructor

I guess its also the luck of the draw. I've been lucky with the 4 I've bought. Nothing critical with them and they run great. 2 951's a 99 Boxster & and 84 928 and all are in pretty good condition. Yeah, most need some a lot of time with the cosmetics, but the engines and handling are all in top shape.
Old 08-14-2010, 12:53 AM
Chubbs
Advanced

Originally Posted by Josh B
Can't believe the number of basement bargain cars I've seen lately....

Sign of the economic times or are people just moving on to more modern reliable cars??
I'm selling mine currently, and the market right now is enough to make a grown man cry (assuming said man is selling, not buying). I can't speak for everyone else, but in my case, it really is just a need to re-prioritize a limited budget. So I'd say yes, it probably is a sign of the current economy.
Old 08-18-2010, 02:22 PM
Josh B
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Uggh - east coast decent looking turbo for a paltry 4k....

http://louisville.craigslist.org/cto/1903933888.html
Old 08-18-2010, 03:40 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ehall
MANY of the people who buy these cars are either young and semi-broke, or just semi-broke. They buy cheap, but can't afford to OWN the car. The result is that there are far too many examples of 951's being treated like **** and falling into disrepair. At some point, those cars will be canabalized and the parts will end up as our replacements, but until that time, we will see almost zero appreciation, from current prices.
And yet other people buy these cars and keep them running because they'd rather have a toy that's cheaper to begin with than sink more money into a purchase price.

Keeping a 951 in the thick of a recession is a lot easier to justify than just about any other Porsche that is comparable performance wise.
Old 08-18-2010, 04:05 PM
Ronin-951
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I still think Mr. Nasty's is the best deal.

Quick Reply: Values of 951s plumeting??