Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Anyone using the Link's ECU? ...

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 09:50 PM
Fluidplay
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone using the Link's ECU? ...

..where did you mount your coil pack?? Pic would be perfect.

I've considered mounting it on the cam gear housing, but not sure how secure the coil would be as the wall thickness of the housing is maybe .100 and I would need to fab up some type of mounting plate possibly.

Suggestions welcome...

Thanks for your time guys!
Old 08-09-2010, 09:58 PM
gt37vgt
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the distributor plate is very easy to make .. there was a great pic recently somone had put them in an old air box shell I'm considering hanging them from a strut brace .. as they are a pretty shaky motor i would prefer them mounted on rubber if on the engine of mounted to the car ..
Old 08-09-2010, 10:14 PM
Fluidplay
Three Wheelin'

would love to see that pic, if you remember where you saw it let me know.

To help minimize vibration I would definitely mount with some type of rubber pad, regardless of where.
Old 08-09-2010, 10:35 PM
gt37vgt
Drifting

ah it was Matt Shepard in his FS thred selling a tec 3 among other things looks like he pulled the pic as the tec 3 sold but messasage him and he will send it or post here
Old 08-09-2010, 10:38 PM
Fluidplay
Three Wheelin'

thanks!!
Old 08-10-2010, 03:24 AM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What kind of coilpack are you running? Built-in igniter?

I mounted one on in a custom made bracket mounted near the strut tower (where the cruise was), away from heat. Where did you get your Link from?

If you're running the Link you're not going to run the stock airbox to mount a coilpack in. Although, it was a nifty idea.
Old 08-10-2010, 11:07 AM
Fluidplay
Three Wheelin'

I'm using a 2001 Jetta coilpack which was recommended by Performance Developments who distributes the Link system.
Old 08-10-2010, 05:23 PM
Fluidplay
Three Wheelin'

anyone have a pic of a remote coilpack set-up..

The more I think about it, I'm not sure about the idea of mounting it on the cam gear housing.
Old 08-10-2010, 05:40 PM
fortysixandtwo
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't know how different they are, but I have the electromotive coil packs mounted directly behind the engine, on the firewall. I drilled holes in the firewall and installed nutserts to secure it.

Oh, and congrats on breaking 1,000 posts.
Old 08-10-2010, 05:46 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have four LS2 truck coils mounted on a plate on the coolant crossover pipe in front of the engine.

$30 each for the coils off EBay, small sheet of aluminum, some M6 rivnuts. A bit ugly but ill make it look better later. Mounts to the crossover with two bolts, very secure. These have built in ignitors so are easily triggered by any Link ECU. They also have a VERY strong spark.

Old 08-11-2010, 01:36 AM
Fluidplay
Three Wheelin'

theedge - I like it... I'll play with that idea tomorrow and see what I can come up with. I have a catch can installed just off the hood latch in that area, but can probably make that work. Thanks!

1k and counting....but check out theedge at over 13k. Now that's a number!
Old 08-11-2010, 05:43 PM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

I don't have a picture on hand. I can take one when I get back from FL. It's basically folded sheet metal, drilled and tapped. Nothing fancy. The car uses a Subaru coilpack, similar to the VW unit you're using. It also has a built in ignitor so it's roughly the same size. If you have any questions about the wiring or install, let me know. I know Neil is a busy guy and I went through the entire setup not too long ago. Do you have the Storm or the Xtreme? A bit of advice, if you have the Storm, get the new style large high impedance injectors so you don't need to tap into the harness for resistors.
Old 08-11-2010, 08:27 PM
MK3DUB951
Intermediate

any one have a prefrence between the link stand alone, and the megasquirt stand alone??
link looks a bit simpler from what i ahve read and what not, but it also cost a good bit more that the megasquirt. i know its a bit off topic from his question but i figured yahall would have some opinion on the matter. thanks!
Old 08-11-2010, 09:15 PM
Scott H
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MK3DUB951
any one have a prefrence between the link stand alone, and the megasquirt stand alone??
link looks a bit simpler from what i ahve read and what not, but it also cost a good bit more that the megasquirt. i know its a bit off topic from his question but i figured yahall would have some opinion on the matter. thanks!
Megasquirt is a toy compared to any well designed stand alone.
Old 08-11-2010, 09:46 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MK3DUB951
Depends on your goals. If you like DIY, MegaSquirt. There are plug and play Link kits that include a wiring harness if you dont want much DIY. MegaSquirt will run a 951 engine very well. I have both.

Quick Reply: Anyone using the Link's ECU? ...