Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

ls1 swap vs fixing/maintaining the 2.5l, was: pondering swapping an engine harn

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 07:37 PM
incomplete
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by manticore33
All of the issues you list are not really the engine's fault. The core engine is fine; it is the vacuum hoses and worn out wiring that seems to be giving you fits. Maybe try a new harness and running all new vacuum lines. I guess, I am at a loss since these are the type of items you generally expect to happen to a 20+ year old car.

It sounds like you purchased a bad car and have gotten well over your head. Do you do your own work or are you taking this mess to a shop? If you are taking the car to a shop, stop now and invest in a new/different car.

Things like alignment and tires have nothing to do with the car running and you will still have to do that type of repair work with a swapped engine.
i am doing most of my work now, and have been working on cars for 32 of my 37 years. i'm smart enough to know when i'm in over my head and pass the baton.

the series problem(s) i ran in to when buying the car, plus the additional complexity of my first high performance engine, were what got me. i didn't do enough homework before starting my first repairs and that definitely bit me hard. particularly with the state of the vehicle being much different than expected.

as for the alignment and tires, yes: i am well aware that that has nothing to do w/the running of the car -- they're just two items that i need to have happen before i start really driving the car. in retrospect, i should have just put the engine stuff down.

after reading this topic, and everyone's responses, i think i will be more than able to get things going. i have a few items on my build plan that i don't have the desire to really do (nor tools, nor potential skill), and i'll be taking the car to a new shop when the time comes. right now, i think that within a week or two of my last shipment arriving (engine harness plugs/boots) the car will be ready to fire up.

if that goes well, then it's heading over to my shop for tuning. if it doesn't go well, then it's back to diagnosing and most likely the shop.

shane
Old 08-09-2010, 09:03 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Well the plus side is that the reference sensors are much easier with the intake manifold off (which you have already done.)

Lindsey Racing has a good diagram for vacuum hose routing.

Wiring can be cleaned up and taped/shrink-wrapped.

Oil all over the block could be a leak. It could also be the result of a previous owner spilling oil all over the place when they attempted to put oil into the oil fill. I'd clean it all out and keep an eye on it.

The crusty stuff you see lying under the manifold could also be remnants of the original hood liner. They're foam and crumble. When I bought my car, I thought the top of the block was full of dirt and crud, and wasn't until my head bumped against the opened hood (with shreds of the liner remaining) that I figured out what it was.
Old 08-09-2010, 11:19 PM
incomplete
Racer

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
Well the plus side is that the reference sensors are much easier with the intake manifold off (which you have already done.)

Lindsey Racing has a good diagram for vacuum hose routing.

Wiring can be cleaned up and taped/shrink-wrapped.

Oil all over the block could be a leak. It could also be the result of a previous owner spilling oil all over the place when they attempted to put oil into the oil fill. I'd clean it all out and keep an eye on it.

The crusty stuff you see lying under the manifold could also be remnants of the original hood liner. They're foam and crumble. When I bought my car, I thought the top of the block was full of dirt and crud, and wasn't until my head bumped against the opened hood (with shreds of the liner remaining) that I figured out what it was.
reference sensors: yep! once i pull the old ones out and replace them, i'll test the old ones and keep them as spares if they're good.

vacuum diags: yeah, i'm using a couple of different diagrams and guides as references... but the lindsey ones are my main resource. the car's on a sloped driveway, so i haven't jacked it up yet to see what wastegate i have. i know it's aftermarket, but am unsure what brand, or if it's dual/single.

wiring: the cracking is really bad on the outside sheath, and i don't feel safe with them like that, even taped and wrapped. i know it's going to be a b!tch but i want to replace the whole shebang.

oil: there were no leaks on or below the seam between the head and the block, so i think i'm ok. most of it probably came from the AOS line, which had degraded so badly that it had slid right off and was hanging off to one side. that being said, there WAS a lot of oil... gonna think on this one.

crusty stuff: yeah, it was a great mix of that foam (i bet), oil, dirt, melted corrugated sheathing and whoknowswhatelse.

shane
Old 08-10-2010, 12:09 AM
incomplete
Racer

Originally Posted by incomplete
oil: there were no leaks on or below the seam between the head and the block, so i think i'm ok. most of it probably came from the AOS line, which had degraded so badly that it had slid right off and was hanging off to one side. that being said, there WAS a lot of oil... gonna think on this one.
well, i just got back from pulling the DME/KLR and starting on the battery leads.

i looked at the engine again and think i may actually have a blown head gasket. see attachments. (i've since cleaned the engine)

i'll dig up and post the repairs i've had done so far -- mostly cooling system, thermostats, new radiator, timing belt/tensioner/pulleys. some other stuff, too.
Attached Images   
Old 08-10-2010, 12:18 AM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,240 Likes on 607 Posts

I have also decided to make the switch to an LS1. I talked to TonyG for quite awhile (great guy, fantastic resource of info) and I was sold. I have been slowly accumulating the LS1 parts for a stout build.
Old 08-10-2010, 01:25 AM
incomplete
Racer

well, i popped off the KLR and DME covers and popped the board apart to see what chips i had... and i wasn't surprised to find no-name chips!

has anyone heard of "ProMotion Racing"? well, besides the pocketbike/go-ped racers, or the jetski racers, or even the dirtbike racers?

the car was chipped by the first owner, and i'm the third. i think. heh. maybe it's time to get new chips, or is there a way for me to find out how these guys are set?

my FPR is also made by ProMotion...

also, anyone have a clue as to what the top sticker (below) means?

Old 08-10-2010, 01:35 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Quick Bing search for Promotion Racing turns up this link: http://www.rennbay.com/states/fl.html

Might want to give the number a call listed there. I'd say the chips were burned in '08 based on the date written on the sticker.
Old 08-10-2010, 03:53 PM
incomplete
Racer

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
Quick Bing search for Promotion Racing turns up this link: http://www.rennbay.com/states/fl.html

Might want to give the number a call listed there. I'd say the chips were burned in '08 based on the date written on the sticker.
hah, thanks for finding that!

i went through the repair records again and that sticker was put there by the previous owner's shop when they pulled/cleaned/tested the DME and KLR boxen.

also, i just called the number and it's disconnected. local searches around miami FL didn't show anything either. however, i dug through web.archive.org and found cached copies of the website "http://www.promotion-racing.com" with some contact info! i'll give them a call and see if that returns anything. the email bounced. also, some rennlist digging through closed posts shows a rather negative opinion about that shop. heh.

http://web.archive.org/web/200312200...on-racing.com/

and i guess i'll keep an eye on eBay for deals on any LR or vitesse chips, but for now i'll leave this problem alone.

Last edited by incomplete; 08-10-2010 at 04:26 PM.
Old 08-11-2010, 05:24 PM
incomplete
Racer

well, i got pretty far yesterday after work... the old harness is out, and i'm waiting on my new connectors/boots so i can refurbish my new "used" one. my shop called, and the injectors are done w/the rebuild and matching. getting the harness out definitely helped figure out the rest of the vacuum system, too.

i checked the dipstick, oil filler tube and coolant reservoirs, and there was no sign of milkshake. i also opened up one of the coolant hoses on the back of the engine by the firewall and nothing but clean coolant came out.

so now it's a matter of reassembly and tuning, i think.

as for the ls1 swap, i still want to do it, but knowing now more of the details, i have changed my tack: if the turbo motor ends up working, i will keep that for as long as i can. during the time i will be still be looking for a donor camaro, just in case.
Old 08-11-2010, 06:41 PM
Ronin-951
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Feel for ya, there but for the grace of.... The first step always sets the path, and no matter how many times I've heard, read, seen and said, buy the best condition car you can afford, to which I add, know yourself, know the car, and know the seller, theres always new examples of why that is true. Fortunately, you seem to have the backbone and courage to be a true enthusiast of the first order, and when the trail by fire ends, you will be rewarded by 40 virgin mountain roads. Glad to hear your going to roll the dice on the four-banger, the Giant Killer aspect gets little press and is such a thrill when it happens, that Legends are born and songs are sung. Take heart, once your standing on top of that pile of broken parts, the view will be breath taking and the sun will shine wherever you travel.
Old 08-11-2010, 07:27 PM
carlege
Drifting

You have one of davids old cars he says he built it atleast 10 years ago. Those chips are OLD but they might have been re burnt. sent you his contact info so maybe he might be able to give you some info on the car.
Old 08-11-2010, 10:35 PM
gpr8er
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I've been following this thread for the last week or so.. Anyway I was in Vegas last weekend. So I had some time Monday before my flight and decided to stop by Renegade. Totally unannounced visit. I was greeted very warmly by the owner Scott. I asked if it would be possible to look at some cars undergoing conversion. The guy couldn't have been nicer. Showed me around for more than an hour all the while explaining the process. A 951, 914s, a Targa even a 993 turbo with a V8. For those considering an 8 there is a wealth of knowledge there. He explained for those of us in Cali how the CARB is so strict that really the best and maybe only option is Chevys new E-Rod turn key crate motor. It's not CARB legal yet but hopefully will be in the next few weeks. A first class operation fully staffed and shipping parts all over the world. I got to go thru a guys order going out to the UK. Nice stuff.
Old 08-12-2010, 12:52 PM
manticore33
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

993 turbo with a v8? Sort of speechless with that one since the 993 turbos command such a premium. But they sound like experts at their craft. I wonder if and when they will step up to Chevy V8ing or maybe Chrysler v10s in Fcars too?
Old 08-12-2010, 03:15 PM
incomplete
Racer

Originally Posted by gpr8er
I've been following this thread for the last week or so.. Anyway I was in Vegas last weekend. So I had some time Monday before my flight and decided to stop by Renegade. Totally unannounced visit. I was greeted very warmly by the owner Scott. I asked if it would be possible to look at some cars undergoing conversion. The guy couldn't have been nicer. Showed me around for more than an hour all the while explaining the process. A 951, 914s, a Targa even a 993 turbo with a V8. For those considering an 8 there is a wealth of knowledge there. He explained for those of us in Cali how the CARB is so strict that really the best and maybe only option is Chevys new E-Rod turn key crate motor. It's not CARB legal yet but hopefully will be in the next few weeks. A first class operation fully staffed and shipping parts all over the world. I got to go thru a guys order going out to the UK. Nice stuff.
hmm. $9k for an e-rod definitely places these a bit out of my price range... and by a bit, i mean a lot.

well, looks like i'm on the right track -- get the damn turbo motor fixed!
Old 08-12-2010, 10:15 PM
gpr8er
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

9k is ballpark for the motor only. The conversion kit basics are 5k and going up from there. You have exhaust, radiator, fans, A/C and the list goes on... If you were to do this yourself it's really in the 20k neighborhood. I'm talking about a first class job, no hackage. Not to mention you need a big red brake upgrade hence no vacuum booster.

Quick Reply: ls1 swap vs fixing/maintaining the 2.5l, was: pondering swapping an engine harn