Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

California Inspections

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 02:58 PM
onspeed
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'm curious on the requirements for cali emissions now. i know in texas, my APE MAF 951 has always passed way below the req.
Old 08-05-2010, 03:01 PM
odb812
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mtnman82
Wherever you go, ask for a 'pre-test' before they enter you car in the state system. They can do the visual and sniffer tests and let you know what they think you need to fix before yuo can pass smog. That way you'll have an idea of what the shop is going to be looking for without going thru the actual test.

I swap back in the turbo airbox for my smog check. The last time (~2 weeks ago) I left the Fabspeed 3" exhaust on (put the 3" cat in) and it passed just fine. Don't remember the numbers off the top of my head, but they were very low.
I was thinking I'd have to pick up an airbox and do the same. My only problem is using the Vitesse MAF with with the airbox. What are you using to go between the airbox and MAF and the MAF and turbo?
Old 08-05-2010, 06:40 PM
mtnman82
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry - I'm using the stock AFM when I put the airbox back on (I also have an AFM map which I switch to for the test). John (Vitesse) does sell a stealth kit, but I haven't gone there yet as the MAF is chrome and I'm sure would draw some attention during a visual inspection (maybe not...). I also got a harness adapter from John so I didn't have to mess with the AFM wiring/plug - just unplug the adapter to plug back into the AFM. If you can find a 3" cone filter adapter (they come up occasionally here or on EBay) I'm pretty sure you can use one to connect the MAF to the stock airbox. The car runs very well with the Vitesse AFM software. So well I haven't hopped on putting the MAF back on. With the AFM/stock airbox and the cat in place the noise level is down which is kind of a nice change (maybe I'm just getting too old...).
Old 08-05-2010, 07:10 PM
PorscheDude1
On the Radar
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ehall
yeah, only worserer. Va is full of ****'s. Ca is full of Commies!
Too funny!
Quoted for truth.

Todd you really got do some homework regarding the road side sniffers. My understanding is they can impound or confiscate your car.
Old 08-05-2010, 08:52 PM
odb812
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by PorscheDude1
Too funny!
Quoted for truth.

Todd you really got do some homework regarding the road side sniffers. My understanding is they can impound or confiscate your car.
Yeah, that's what I hear Pat. Hopefully I won't be driving it on the street too much. I just need to be able to get it back and forth to the track and drive on the street every now and then for repairs, diagnosis, ect.

BTW, I wish you were getting rid of your wagon about 6 weeks ago when I picked up my new DD. GLWS.
Old 08-05-2010, 10:20 PM
gpr8er
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ehall
WhoooaH...Easy on Bell. One of our own guys is a councilman there.
Seriously, you don't want to cross him.
He's a photoshop evil genius!

BTW, You CALIDIOTS voted for those people. You got what you asked for. lol
Whaat?? You can't be serious, a Bell councilman on RL. Now that's funny if its true.

There are a few sane peeps in Cali believe it or not, don't blame me for the mess called Commiefornia. I can't believe it myself how retarded the voters are here. Remember, most people in the U.S. voted for Obama!
Old 08-05-2010, 10:34 PM
odb812
Burning Brakes

Sorry - I'm using the stock AFM when I put the airbox back on (I also have an AFM map which I switch to for the test). John (Vitesse) does sell a stealth kit, but I haven't gone there yet as the MAF is chrome and I'm sure would draw some attention during a visual inspection (maybe not...). I also got a harness adapter from John so I didn't have to mess with the AFM wiring/plug - just unplug the adapter to plug back into the AFM. If you can find a 3" cone filter adapter (they come up occasionally here or on EBay) I'm pretty sure you can use one to connect the MAF to the stock airbox. The car runs very well with the Vitesse AFM software. So well I haven't hopped on putting the MAF back on. With the AFM/stock airbox and the cat in place the noise level is down which is kind of a nice change (maybe I'm just getting too old...).
I don't really want to go the AFM route. I noticed John stopped listing the stealth MAF on his site and I'm not sure he'd want to sell just the adapter without the rest of the kit. I've got the harness adapter also, so I always could go that route.

Originally Posted by gpr8er
Whaat?? You can't be serious, a Bell councilman on RL. Now that's funny if its true.

There are a few sane peeps in Cali believe it or not, don't blame me for the mess called Commiefornia. I can't believe it myself how retarded the voters are here. Remember, most people in the U.S. voted for Obama!
The guy E's referring to isn't just anyone on RL either, he's the infamous "Most Banned."
Old 08-05-2010, 11:24 PM
PEvans
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I would worry more about your emissions than your equipment. I once had a tech say he was going to fail my car on visual even though I know it is bone stock. I don't think they really know what they are looking at, and you may be just as likely to have a modified car pass a visual.

CA will put your car on a dyno and check for NOx, and the allowable rates are LOW. If the cat is not there and working, you will not pass.
Old 08-06-2010, 12:36 AM
odb812
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by PEvans
I would worry more about your emissions than your equipment. I once had a tech say he was going to fail my car on visual even though I know it is bone stock. I don't think they really know what they are looking at, and you may be just as likely to have a modified car pass a visual.

CA will put your car on a dyno and check for NOx, and the allowable rates are LOW. If the cat is not there and working, you will not pass.
I understand that. We have emissions in VA as well. I'm going to turn the boost down and come up with a tune at that boost level specifically for emissions. I have a cat that I've used for inspections in the past, but I'll probably keep it on the car when I drive it on the street here too.

My concern for equipment is that is something I cannot change. I can make my car pass an emissions test, but if they'll fail me for certain equipment that I'm not willing to replace with stock equipment, then there's no point in paying to have my car shipped here to begin with.
Old 11-21-2010, 04:11 PM
hansman
Instructor

Wherever you go, ask for a 'pre-test' before they enter you car in the state system. They can do the visual and sniffer tests and let you know what they think you need to fix before yuo can pass smog. That way you'll have an idea of what the shop is going to be looking for without going thru the actual test.

I swap back in the turbo airbox for my smog check. The last time (~2 weeks ago) I left the Fabspeed 3" exhaust on (put the 3" cat in) and it passed just fine. Don't remember the numbers off the top of my head, but they were very low.
Did anyone here pass the ca smog test?
My car has been illegal for 2 years now, gonna try and pass with a new cat this week and am thinking of de tuning it?? At least turning boost down to 14lbs and turning down the f-p-r.
Am I waisting my time?
Old 11-21-2010, 05:03 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by hansman
My car has been illegal for 2 years now, gonna try and pass with a new cat this week and am thinking of de tuning it?? At least turning boost down to 14lbs and turning down the f-p-r.
Am I waisting my time?
A lot of people pass the test here. My 951 I sold a year ago required a new CARB certified cat but passed emissions easily with straight 91 octane without any xylene or home brew needed. My car was Vitesse chipped, ran at 16psi, manual boost controller, and K&N filter(legal). The key is having a well tuned car, a good smoking hot cat, clean plugs, oil, and making sure they don't run the 25mph test in 1st gear; the idle and 15mph test are the hard ones if you are running even slightly rich. Boost never even enters the equation during the tests as it usually doesn't get over 2500 rpm on the dyno.

Good luck, especially since they lowered the allowable emissions by 33% about 18 months ago.
Old 11-22-2010, 01:19 AM
Black51
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Boy, from the sounds of it, why would anyone want to move to cali? Is there anything GOOD there?!
Old 11-22-2010, 02:43 AM
Litesonic
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hansman
Am I waisting my time?
I passed, but I put the old cat back on... a new cat failed. I have over 300K miles and that old cat is STILL better than a new aftermarket non-OEM. AMAZING.

Granted it took my mechanic some serious work to get the turbo to pass... but hey, that's what it took.
Old 11-22-2010, 03:03 AM
Keithr726
Nordschleife Master

Last time I got 1123/1125 on one of the categories. Seriously don't think it's going to pass this time with two (illegal now) aftermarket cats. Ughh I need a address in Lake County where they still have not annual smog checks.
Old 11-22-2010, 09:14 AM
hansman
Instructor

Originally Posted by Black51
Boy, from the sounds of it, why would anyone want to move to cali? Is there anything GOOD there?!
Well lemme see where I am at (San Diego) it is suppose to be one of Americas finest cities. Avg temp around 70 all year. Never need to winterize anything anymore, then there are the california girls. Did I mention the pacific ocean?
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: California Inspections