Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

California Inspections

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 10:10 PM
odb812
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default California Inspections

I moved to CA and I want to bring my 944T here but I'm not sure that it will pass inspection the way it is. I'm mostly concerned with equipment right now.

I guess the parts that I'm mostly concerned with are the Vitesse MAF with cone filter, 3" exhaust, piggyback, full cage, and fixed-back seats with 6-pt harnesses. I don't have the factory seatbelts installed, but I still have them.

TIA
Old 08-04-2010, 11:59 PM
gpr8er
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

You're in for a world of hurt. Unless you can find a smog "buddy" there is no way to get that car to pass visual let alone emissions. I have my car set up modular. I have a Molex plug on the maf harness to change out to the stock afm and airbox. Change the injectors back to stock, stock chips and fuel pressure regulator plug in the cat and I squeak thru. The fines for cheater test stations are crazy including jail time so no one is going to cheat you thru. You need a plan. Don't get labeled as a gross polluter or you'll have to deal with another level of Commiefornia bureaucracy.
Old 08-05-2010, 12:17 AM
odb812
Burning Brakes

Visual is all I'm concerned with, I can tune the car to pass emissions. So I've got to have a stock airbox to pass visual?
Old 08-05-2010, 12:43 AM
gpr8er
Rennlist Member

I've seen guys on RL say they passed with a maf. I think it's probably all in where you go. It's all about the dance...if the smog guy rolls with it, cool. Emissions are another story. Probably don't even need to concern yourself with roll bar, seatbelts etc. BTW Cali will setup ambush smog checks on the road staffed with a Highway Patrol officer with roller test stations. And also at freeway on ramps. They look for a heat signature from the cat with a high speed camera. If it's not there them you get the "letter" in the mail.
Old 08-05-2010, 04:00 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by gpr8er
I've seen guys on RL say they passed with a maf. I think it's probably all in where you go. It's all about the dance...if the smog guy rolls with it, cool. Emissions are another story. Probably don't even need to concern yourself with roll bar, seatbelts etc. BTW Cali will setup ambush smog checks on the road staffed with a Highway Patrol officer with roller test stations. And also at freeway on ramps. They look for a heat signature from the cat with a high speed camera. If it's not there them you get the "letter" in the mail.
I've never seen a roadside smog check. Is that a southern cal thing?
Old 08-05-2010, 05:10 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

...and all of these years I couldn't figure out how a state with such retarded taxes could go broke!....
Old 08-05-2010, 05:11 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
I've never seen a roadside smog check. Is that a southern cal thing?
wouldn't surprise me, but it would depend on the county in question. NEVER happen in Orange County.
Old 08-05-2010, 10:28 AM
gpr8er
Rennlist Member

Sadly yes, in Orange County. That's where I am right in the heart of it. The state contracts with a company that will set up a roadside check complete with a roller to test the car. It's staffed with a tech and a Highway Patrol officer in uniform and patrol car. I've been able to avoid getting snared in that mess. They also set up an infra red high speed camera on freeway on ramps occasionally and check for cats.

This state is run by corrupt public labor unions and crooked politicians, but that's another thread. Look at what happened recently in the City of Bell.
Old 08-05-2010, 10:36 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Sadly yes, in Orange County. That's where I am right in the heart of it. The state contracts with a company that will set up a roadside check complete with a roller to test the car. It's staffed with a tech and a Highway Patrol officer in uniform and patrol car. I've been able to avoid getting snared in that mess. They also set up an infra red high speed camera on freeway on ramps occasionally and check for cats.

This state is run by corrupt public labor unions and crooked politicians, but that's another thread. Look at what happened recently in the City of Bell.
WhoooaH...Easy on Bell. One of our own guys is a councilman there.
Seriously, you don't want to cross him.
He's a photoshop evil genius!

BTW, You CALIDIOTS voted for those people. You got what you asked for. lol
Old 08-05-2010, 11:29 AM
racerxrick
Rennlist Member

ugh..
Old 08-05-2010, 02:25 PM
odb812
Burning Brakes

What about airbags? My car has none and a racing wheel. They were standard on the 944 turbo from '87 on but not mandated by law for cars produced before April '89 and my car was built 9/88. Do you think they'll check the standard equipment for the 944 or just go by the build date on the door against the law? I've removed the airbag light bulb from the dash, so there's no visual evidence the car came with airbags without ripping stuff apart.
Old 08-05-2010, 02:40 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

They don't give a crap about your safety! **** dude, what are you thinking? They only care about not being sued, by you, due to pollution.
They don't actually care if the pollution kills your ***.

Air Bags! yeah right!

Seriously, they care 100% more about your tail pipe than your wind pipe.
Old 08-05-2010, 02:45 PM
odb812
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ehall
They don't give a crap about your safety! **** dude, what are you thinking? They only care about not being sued, by you, due to pollution.
They don't actually care if the pollution kills your ***.

Air Bags! yeah right!

Seriously, they care 100% more about your tail pipe than your wind pipe.
Oh, so it's kinda like Virginia was, nice.
Old 08-05-2010, 02:48 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

yeah, only worserer. Va is full of ****'s. Ca is full of Commies!
Old 08-05-2010, 02:51 PM
mtnman82
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Wherever you go, ask for a 'pre-test' before they enter you car in the state system. They can do the visual and sniffer tests and let you know what they think you need to fix before yuo can pass smog. That way you'll have an idea of what the shop is going to be looking for without going thru the actual test.

I swap back in the turbo airbox for my smog check. The last time (~2 weeks ago) I left the Fabspeed 3" exhaust on (put the 3" cat in) and it passed just fine. Don't remember the numbers off the top of my head, but they were very low.

Quick Reply: California Inspections