Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Anyone use VHT paint on Swain coating.

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 10:30 AM
DrZ1
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Anyone use VHT paint on Swain coating.

Here is a paint project I am looking forward to. I have a set of B & B headers, and a two piece cross over from SFR. I sent them to Swain and had the "white Lightning" coating applied. They said I could spray them w/ a VHT paint.

I picked up a few cans from Advance and then looked up more info on theier website. Per their instructions, the paint needs to be cycle heated to have the correct cure, either by oven or on car. I will be installing so many different items, including a EMS, that following a strict routine will be unlikely.

Has anyone used the VHT Flameproof paint on the Swain WL coating??

I would assume that the rough texture of the of the coating so be adequate to bond the paint, just not sure about the integrity of the paint.

Steve
Attached Images  
Old 08-03-2010, 05:28 PM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

Swain knows their product very well, if they said you can do it, you should have no problems. I have painted other (non-Swain) ceramic coated parts with VHT and have had no problems. Once they are on the car, start it and let it run until it starts smoking off the headers, let it run for about another minute and then shut it down and let it completely cool. Repeat that cycle again and you should be good to go.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:53 AM
DrZ1
Burning Brakes

I am pretty confident it will be fine, I was curious as I will probably not be able to follow the heating protocol. I will try to best as I can, but will be more focused on other parameters of the engine operating correctly. But I guess as long as I dont go to full temp on the first cycle. I should be good.

Thanks
Steve
Old 08-04-2010, 08:31 PM
gcb951
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have there coating on my pistons and my exhaust. So far as I can tell it's very high quality.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:32 PM
teamcrossworks
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm about to do the same thing. It's nice to see what's in store...they look great!

I have a lot of experience with VHT (painted a number of wastegates and other parts with excellent results) and curious why you can't fit the parts in an oven and cure the paint as per instructions?
Old 08-05-2010, 12:06 AM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by teamcrossworks
I'm about to do the same thing. It's nice to see what's in store...they look great!

I have a lot of experience with VHT (painted a number of wastegates and other parts with excellent results) and curious why you can't fit the parts in an oven and cure the paint as per instructions?
I am assuming that there is a wife and possible threat of divorce involved, at least thats how it would work at my house. lol
Old 08-05-2010, 09:03 AM
teamcrossworks
Rennlist Member

Trick is to do it while she's out on one of her shopping trips so you have some time. Light some candles to mask the "after smell" of curing paint (not much) and distract her with "pants on the ground" when she walks in.

She either goes for it or thinks your nuts... what car parts in the oven.

Works every time!
Old 08-05-2010, 09:23 AM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by DrZ1
I am pretty confident it will be fine, I was curious as I will probably not be able to follow the heating protocol. I will try to best as I can, but will be more focused on other parameters of the engine operating correctly. But I guess as long as I dont go to full temp on the first cycle. I should be good.

Thanks
Steve
Those ought to look really nice with some greasy hand prints on 'em.

T
Old 08-05-2010, 10:20 AM
DrZ1
Burning Brakes

Exactly, the wife.

she is so paranoid about stuff, may cost me a new oven.

Steve
Old 08-05-2010, 10:24 AM
DrZ1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 951and944S
Those ought to look really nice with some greasy hand prints on 'em.

T

Ha, That is why I am painting them. I had picked them up after unboxing them, and noticed a nice smudge mark from the exhaust soot. I am painting a flat silver. Hopefully tonight. If is all cool w/ you we can bolt them on and stab in the engine this weekend. Looks like rain all weekend, so the shop should be cooler.

Steve
Old 08-05-2010, 11:11 AM
ninefiveone
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts

... distract her with "pants on the ground" when she walks in....
Best line of the year?
Old 08-10-2010, 10:55 AM
DrZ1
Burning Brakes

I had a small window open last Fri, and I took the chance.

Tuned out nice, although the fumes were unreal. I left the A/c's running all doors open for a while. Seemed to disapate enough.

But you will need time to elimate the smell (evidence)

So should be good to go.

Thanks
Steve
Old 08-11-2010, 01:45 AM
teamcrossworks
Rennlist Member

Steve,

Sorry to hear the "fumes were unreal". Just curious...did you cure/bake the paint in stages as the directions indicate? 30min on, 30 off

When I did my parts (although less volume), I hardly had any fumes.

Keep us posted on your progress.
Old 08-11-2010, 05:29 PM
DrZ1
Burning Brakes

Yep, but I had sqeezed them all in at once. Also, maybe our oven vents more then most?

Thanks

Quick Reply: Anyone use VHT paint on Swain coating.