Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Wheel refinishing - DIY Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 04:51 PM
LS1Porch
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel refinishing - DIY Questions

Picked up some Wurth paint, and i'm planning to go back to the stock colors. I've already got one wheel mostly done.

Any suggestions for stripping paint? I used a chemical stripper on the first one, but it ate right through the paint i wanted off, and only halfway through the original paint on these wheels--leaving me with quite a mess to clean up! I'm afraid to make that mistake twice.

For primer i used a self-etching primer, because that's what i had around. Was that a good choice?

The wurth silver is very strange stuff. It doesn't seem as "wet" as most paints i've used. It also has some trouble laying down flat, maybe because it's not so heavy? I think i'll need to wet sand it before i put the clear on. Good idea or bad?
Old 07-26-2010, 07:49 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes wet sand... I wet sanded, then cleared and wet sanded again, then cleared again, followed by 2000 grit wet, followed by polish!

the wet sanding will allow you to get out any imperfections in the paint, or the first layer of clear... this pic doesn't do them justice....

I also went high gloss black interior, with clear over top...

as for stripping I used 800 grit wet sand to get the old paint off... it just takes a little elbow grease...

the wurth paint really provides a nice finish when all is said and done....

Old 07-27-2010, 11:53 AM
LS1Porch
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the info!
I wet sanded the color last night with 800 grit, so i'll put some clear on this afternoon. After you finally sanded with 2000 grit, what did you use to polish? I was thinking of picking up one of those ball things.

This has been a pretty frustrating amount of trial-and-error, but it's finally starting to look like something
Old 07-27-2010, 01:22 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LS1Porch
Thanks for the info!
I wet sanded the color last night with 800 grit, so i'll put some clear on this afternoon. After you finally sanded with 2000 grit, what did you use to polish? I was thinking of picking up one of those ball things.

This has been a pretty frustrating amount of trial-and-error, but it's finally starting to look like something
Maguiers polishing compound, and I polished them by hand... ball might be too agressive for the fresh paint!
Old 07-27-2010, 02:10 PM
mudbuddha
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

+1 for wet sanding. I have good luck w/ Mother's products but Maguire is good also. Also, I like to clean my wheels right away after a drive or the same weekend if possible. This way, your hard work of getting it looking new again will remain new looking year after year. The brake dust and road grimes are really harsh on the wheels and if you park it in the sun and or track them, well that's even worse- so clean them often guys!
Old 07-27-2010, 02:49 PM
LS1Porch
Burning Brakes

Okay, great info...thanks! I'll put up some pics once i get a good looking one!

Quick Reply: Wheel refinishing - DIY Questions