Newbie to modding Turbo car

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 04:41 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tedro951
I've said this before, but I've modded cars, motorcycles, airplanes, etc. Chips/FPR/MBC are as far as I'm going on my 951. Search on here for the last few months for an education in how wrong things can go and what people will defend as "worth it". Its still cool car at 275HP. For good reading, I look at the posts now about "my car wont run, wont idle, overheats, blows smoke, etc". Its 25 years old. Unless you have tons of money, be careful mod dancing with this devil.
^^^ OUTSTANDING POST!
Old 07-26-2010, 05:46 PM
Adam Poland
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ehall
^^^ OUTSTANDING POST!
+1,000
Old 07-26-2010, 07:38 PM
TurboTommy
Rennlist Member

I started modding 951s as soon as I got into them over a decade ago (I'm on my third one now). My biggest mistake(s) was not having enough knowledge myself and listening to others' recommendations based on them wanting to sell something or simply a mis-communication where they assumed they knew what I was after.

So, like others have said, keep it stock until you've learnt as much as you can.
Remember that in the quest for more hp, always address the weekest link in the chain (the bottleneck) of the entire system. If you have the cash, there are vendors that have horsepower packages that have been researched and engineered to work together.
But, you need to know yourself what you're looking for; remembering that with a little more lag you will gain more power and a safer engine, and wanting quick rising torque from throttle input will result in reduced acceleration in the upper third of the RPM band in each gear, along with a little more heat stress on the engine.
Like somebody already said, exhaust upgrade is absolutely the best mod for a turbo system, and can only be good on all fronts.
Old 07-26-2010, 08:17 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

My vision is starting to blur... OH ITS THE BRAIN PAIN....

AHHHHHHHHH MAKE IT STOP!!!!!!

All kidding aside, make it as good a stock car as it can be BEFORE even spending the first dollar on light up valve stem caps... a trashed modded car just isn't any fun.... or worth ANYTHING to anyone other than Lart or Spider....
Old 07-26-2010, 08:23 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Dougs951
How much power do you want to make?
How much $$ do you have is a better question...

Originally Posted by carlege
Learn from other peoples mistakes. Read the forum and see 100 ways to not do something
Nah, I love reading the "I know what I am doing", "I turboed my civic", and "Im turboing / SCing my N/A" posts...

Originally Posted by gt37vgt
I would always go for the big exhaust first. before
It always works no matter what brand or size you get . its not RPM of fuel specific .its never too big there are no drawabacks
the little boost enhancer thing for $40 is also a no brainier i think..
chips is a long list of threads ..there are plenty of good ones that have several different maps for different injectors set on the FQR.

I think the right set up for standard turbo is 55lb injectors and according chips ..
And that is big enough for a very small turbo upgrade but those with big turbo need bigger injectors
And then the engine grenades... or the turbo blows its seals... or... or...

Originally Posted by alxdgr8
Keep it stock!

Regardless what direction you decide to go, sounds like you need to do a lot of reading...then read some more. Do things right the first time, it's cheaper than redoing things after they break.
WHAT? Keep a turboed Porsche STOCK... what do you want, this thing to run FOREVER??????

Originally Posted by TurboTommy
I started modding 951s as soon as I got into them over a decade ago (I'm on my third one now). My biggest mistake(s) was not having enough knowledge myself and listening to others' recommendations based on them wanting to sell something or simply a mis-communication where they assumed they knew what I was after.

So, like others have said, keep it stock until you've learnt as much as you can.
Remember that in the quest for more hp, always address the weekest link in the chain (the bottleneck) of the entire system. If you have the cash, there are vendors that have horsepower packages that have been researched and engineered to work together.
But, you need to know yourself what you're looking for; remembering that with a little more lag you will gain more power and a safer engine, and wanting quick rising torque from throttle input will result in reduced acceleration in the upper third of the RPM band in each gear, along with a little more heat stress on the engine.
Like somebody already said, exhaust upgrade is absolutely the best mod for a turbo system, and can only be good on all fronts.
And if you have even more cash, you can send your car to someone and have them build it up FOR you, you can tell them "I want it mind numbing fast" and they will give it back that way!
Old 07-26-2010, 08:52 PM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
WHAT? Keep a turboed Porsche STOCK... what do you want, this thing to run FOREVER??????
I didn't mean it, honest!!
It is good advice for some people though...seen too many 951's ruined lately due to a "ricer/wanna go fast cheap" mentality.

Quick Reply: Newbie to modding Turbo car