Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Thoughts on hood vents I am having made

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 12:15 AM
slownrusty
Rennlist Member

Received 334 Likes on 155 Posts

To expand on the point made on the 280ZX NACA hood scoops, I own a 450whp ZX Turbo and these hood scoops make a huge difference to the air being drawn it when the car is moving and hot air leaving the engine bay when the car is idling (for example in traffic). On the 280ZX the turbo is right under the NACA hood scoop so the placement is perfect and well designed and very low profile and not obtrusive.

Hood removed and scoops as well for painting..gives an idea of the opening

BTW the '84-'87 300ZX Turbo also has a stylish factory hood scoop that is well designed and very functional:
Old 07-28-2010, 10:33 AM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have a 924 hood for sale with the duct
Old 07-28-2010, 12:29 PM
DrZ1
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by slownrusty
To expand on the point made on the 280ZX NACA hood scoops, I own a 450whp ZX Turbo and these hood scoops make a huge difference to the air being drawn it when the car is moving and hot air leaving the engine bay when the car is idling (for example in traffic). On the 280ZX the turbo is right under the NACA hood scoop so the placement is perfect and well designed and very low profile and not obtrusive.

Hood removed and scoops as well for painting..gives an idea of the opening

BTW the '84-'87 300ZX Turbo also has a stylish factory hood scoop that is well designed and very functional:

Funny, I had a bunch of 300zx befor the 944. I started w/ an 84 NA that was same color as the one you have shown. I liked the car alot. Then I had an 93 NA , a nad then a 91 twin turbo, that had put down 397 to the rear wheels. It was just such a pain to have work done on it, because the shop I used was 5 hrs away in houston.

I am probably going with something in the center, but I like the looks of the 280zx ducts and I think two with the NACA ducts would look good. Even if I get alot of flack of using Japanise parts. I like the idea that it would be a flush fit and metal insert. I don't know how it would turn out since I dont have the hood stamped to recieve the ducts, and the way shapped can not be used on the right side w/o a good bit of modification, unless just using the smaller one.

Thanks for the pics.
Steve

Last edited by DrZ1; 07-28-2010 at 02:25 PM.
Old 07-28-2010, 04:53 PM
DrZ1
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Duke
My hood, from HansB:
This route looks the easiest, and will provide the most ventaltion from the heat exchanges up front. Since I can not get my hood stamped, I will make a smilar size cut out and have my welder fabricate me a mounting structure. Which will recieve the mesh insert in the link in the opening post. The insert will meet the hood at the back of the cut out and slope down, then meet the welded sttructure in front, which will drop down as much as I can w/o hitting anything underneath in the engine bay.

My question is with the lines on the hood, the space betweeen them gets wider from front to back. I notice on Duke's car his modifications are rectangular. I was thinking of my insert being more trapezoidal as the sides will follow the lines in the hood. Wider up front of the insert.

What do you think?

Steve

Quick Reply: Thoughts on hood vents I am having made