Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

schnell shortt shifter problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 06:14 PM
TheLlamaGod
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so i finally got it to fit and it feels really sloppy. when its in gear i can move it quite a bit. the dimple that the bolt goes in to doesnt seem to hold it very well. is this normal or do i have to drill the dimple so that it fits more snug.

anyone else have this issue?
Old 07-19-2010, 06:35 AM
Black51
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Are you sure the bolt is in tight? I think I put thread lock on that bolt since I remember breaking that stupid plastic tang off that kept the bolt from falling out. That would = no shifting! Could it be something else that you changed (in the cab, such as the two bolts that hold the shifter in place)? Did you connect the arm that comes from the trans to it? Shifting should feel really tight for the first month or two (at least mine did until the joint worked itself in).

If nothing's loose, I can't picture what else could go wrong with such a simple mechanism. When you say "in gear", does it move side to side, or just in and out of gear sloppily like the original ones. If it's side to side, it's most likely the rod that runs from the shift handle in the cab to the trans is worn out where the shift hand and the rod meet. Mine does that somewhat. Only fixes are try to band-aid fix that by putting tape or epoxy around the rod, or change the rod altogether, which, I think the tranny needs to come off for that if I'm not mistaken. Otherwise, not sure why it'd be shifting in and out of gear sloppily.

Are you sure you put the new shifter on and not the old back on again?
Old 07-19-2010, 02:59 PM
TheLlamaGod
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah im sure haha.
ive decided that this is giving me too many problems so i called and they are sending me a new one.
hopefully this one fits in perfect

Quick Reply: schnell shortt shifter problem