Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Finally, about to get started. Need painting advice.

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 08:44 PM
DrZ1
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Got a bit furthur yesterday,

I wiped the bay clean with a prep spray, then scuffed up the paint. I will need to reapply the prep spray a couple times before I paint. I will mask off the condensor and intercooler from over spray.

Need advice on any other prep work, I plan to put some vaccum plugs over some of the bolts.

What is the best way to temporarly plug any bolt holes ?? Other then placing bolts.

I hope to spray next Fri or Sat. Then start pulling everything back.
Attached Images   
Old 07-26-2010, 04:33 PM
Tedro951
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why do you want to avoid painting in the bolt holes?
Old 07-26-2010, 04:52 PM
DrZ1
Burning Brakes

I thought that it might affect rethreading of the bolts, after painting, with trash in there. Also the same, with the studs when the bolts are replaced.

I do have a few spot where metal is exposed, Can I use a can primer then spray on top of it? Also, do I need to wetsand the primer smooth before base coat?

Thanks
Old 07-29-2010, 11:13 PM
DrZ1
Burning Brakes

Spent some time tonight getting things taped and blocked with visqueen and Al foil. I sprayed some primer on the bare metal spots.

Tommarrow I will scuff and then spray the engine bay. It should turn out nice, as long as the weather plays nice.'

I hope to post some nice pics tommarrow.

Steve
Attached Images  
Old 07-30-2010, 01:49 AM
gruhsy
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Mask everything you don't want to paint on. Overspray gets everywhere and I mean everywhere

Jason
Old 07-30-2010, 08:31 AM
DrZ1
Burning Brakes

Thanks,

Luckily for me my car had hit rockbottom and I have everthing off the front. The body needs a major paint job, I am replacing the rear hatch so, that is comming off. Really the only thing I would worry about is the rear Fikse's, turn signals and side windows. I fiqured if I did not do this now, I never would.

Steve
Old 07-30-2010, 01:24 PM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Why you left so much parts there? Remove brake booster, throttle cable etc. We removed everything except steering saft when son's project 951's engine room was painted.

Old 07-30-2010, 02:32 PM
DrZ1
Burning Brakes

(LAZY

I really just wanted to clean it up, not looking for a garage queen. I just cleaned up and painted, I hope to have the parts back in this weeks, and maybe drop in the engine next weeekend. I did not want to take along time R&R to paint the bay, I have been tied up w/ other projects and ready to get this car on the road and more importantly the track.

Not to mention mechanics and body work is not my strong point. I leave that up to Turbo T, known on the forum as 951and944s, We share a garage where he preps his and son's race cars. Problem is it is 2hrs from me and he has been jammed up w/ his own projects.

Painting is done and looks good, I have baking in the sun, Heat index should be around 110 today.

Will post images, tonight when I pull all the tape and plastic.

Steve
Old 07-31-2010, 03:29 AM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

We were more or less forced to removed evrything because son's project suffered classic engine fire. Previous owner removed all burnt items

Old 08-02-2010, 10:47 AM
DrZ1
Burning Brakes

Well,

It was hot, and was sprayed outside. I thought it came out pretty good, esp since there was so much to work around. Had a few hiccups before I painted. I was reccomeded to use a kwik clean spray before I painted that would remove any grime or residue, by the paint shop. I dried fast, similar in charteristic action as brake cleaner. When I was at the shop, which is not close to me, I had not though about a primer, as I planned to just spray. Once I stated to scuff the paint I noticed more bare metal. I went to AZ and picked up a can of Rustolum self etch primer. I sprayed that on and left till next AM. Then I scuffed and went to spary the cleaner to take off any residue, and it ended up taking off the primer. So I was stuck, either I had to start all over or what I did.

Which was take a couple of tack rags, and scrub real good, trying to pick up as much of the dust as possible, after spraying again w/ compressed air.

I was happy w/ the outcome, I can see I missed up along where the top of the fender, and will touch this up, when I have the car painted and the fenders are off.

I noticed some orange peel, what is that due too?

BTW. the black paint on my A/C lines is due to the fact, that I had them rebuilt with all the old rubber and crimps removed. They had to bead blast all the connections for welding purposes, so I had to paint to keep them from rusting. I did not wory about over spray on the hoses. They were off when I painted.

Steve
Attached Images     
Old 08-02-2010, 03:02 PM
Tedro951
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The orange peel could be many different things... Air pressure, reducer volume, reducer temp, too many coats, too hot, gun adjustment, bad lighting, gun too far from surface, and on and on. Looks good to me!
Old 08-02-2010, 03:23 PM
DrZ1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Tedro951
The orange peel could be many different things... Air pressure, reducer volume, reducer temp, too many coats, too hot, gun adjustment, bad lighting, gun too far from surface, and on and on. Looks good to me!

HA,

Guess I am luckly it came out OK. I probably had a handful of the senerios going against me off the bat.

Will put it all back and get ready for the engine.

Thanks again for all the advice.

Steve
Old 09-10-2010, 10:39 PM
DrZ1
Burning Brakes

I got a little bit further so I thought I would post the progress. However it is not moving as fast as a LS-1 conversion

I have the engine back in and suspension on. The EMS is mostly wired up. I need to add the PLX oil temp sensor. Then I hope to place the PLX multi-guage in the bottom half of the tach, ALthoughI plan to use a NA tach w/o the stock boost guage. I saw one other lister do this, although he said it took a bit of work as space is limited.

Also, I am working on a coil per cylinder setup w/ MSD coils.

I will update when more progress made.

Steve
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: Finally, about to get started. Need painting advice.