Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

I am at a loss and don't know what to try next (video)

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 08:00 AM
mhpd31
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I am at a loss and don't know what to try next (video)

Ok guys, I have searched the forums, and tried everything I know to try, but the car still runs very badly, any advice would be GREATLY appreciated. Heres what I have done: Lindsey MAF, 4 inch "big flow" exhaust, matched 951 max chips, lindsey dual port wastegate, new vaccum lines (removed the intake), new fpr....to simplify 300rwhp package with the 4 inch big flow exhaust and the MAF option. Anyway...I get evertything done, and put back together, start the car and the idle is very rough, AFR are off the scale at an idle and the vaccum appears unstable according to the gauge. rev it up and you get a little bit of a backfire, through the MAF, a miss and a dead spot.

Took it for a (very) short drive, AFR seems to stabilize under acceleration, seems to smooth out, put it into boost, sounds like I am in boost, gauge says I am in boost, sure doesent feel like I am in boost! Let off the gas, get a loud howling shreik, lost all power, blew off the intercooler pipe that feeds the intake. Put the pipe back on, still runs like crap!

Search the forums, Yes the MAF is getting 12v, ISV is routed as it should be, double and triple checked all lines to make sure they were properly routed, Yes I made sure the intake gaskets were put on properly. So I took everything back apart, checked every hose, made sure every clamp was tight, put it all back together....It still runs like crap!!! I don't know what else to try?? any suggestions??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6YiR6Ef7IY
Old 07-07-2010, 08:07 AM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Either the MAF does not have the correct configuration file, the chip is not matched, or MAF wiring is wrong, IMO.
I suggest double-checking those.
Old 07-07-2010, 08:34 AM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Check to see that you didn't put the chip in backwards, I doubt you did as the car seems to smooth on light hit on throttle.

You are 110% sure you are getting 12 v for the maf.
Old 07-07-2010, 08:56 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

I don't know what it is, but it's wrong. One thing for sure, once you get it sorted that 4" is going to sound menacing. It's got a real bass thrum to it. Good luck.
Old 07-07-2010, 10:05 AM
minho78
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Rogue_Ant
Either the MAF does not have the correct configuration file, the chip is not matched, or MAF wiring is wrong, IMO.
I suggest double-checking those.
+1. Definately MAF or Chips. Mine used to run like that when he chips weren't right. Call Dave or Mike.
Old 07-07-2010, 10:07 AM
DLS
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I think you should pressure test the hole intake system, you must have a vaccum leak some where
tried to unplugg the isv, any difference?
Old 07-07-2010, 10:19 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DLS
I think you should pressure test the hole intake system, you must have a vaccum leak some where
tried to unplugg the isv, any difference?
+1, did you use new intake manifold gaskets when you put the intake back on, and is there a chance the intake isn't sitting fully against the head? I have seen them slightly cocked, but the bolts torqued!

Smoke test the intake (put the smoke IN at the turbo side of the intercooler), you MIGHT just find a leak causing your issues.... allowing unmetered air to be sucked in under vacuum, and pressurized air out under boost!
Old 07-07-2010, 11:15 PM
Euro951
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check to see that your vacuum lines are correct.
Old 07-08-2010, 12:33 AM
mtnman82
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

FQS in the correct position?
Old 07-08-2010, 01:02 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

its jumping idle because you're running way to rich, mine did that and i just turned the fuel zone for the idle down and it fixed it self. like some of the above, its the chip set in your car mostlikley
Old 07-09-2010, 05:56 AM
Black51
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

another +1 to Rogue_Ant
Old 07-09-2010, 05:57 AM
Black51
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Just to narrow things down though, was the car doing anything like this before you put the stuff on, at all?
Old 07-10-2010, 12:33 AM
951_RS
Rennlist Member

It definitely did not appear to be running rich since the afr's were very high once it started idling for a bit. Something is definitely up with the maf, my car did this same thing because I had one of my maf wires at the DME come undone. I was using a piggy back fuel controller though so that is why it came off there.
How did you wire the maf to power?
If you used the power source from the old intake system (blue wire?) it's going to be wrong since the original air meter uses a smaller voltage. If you use the factory power wire you're supposed to then cut it near the DME and splice it into one of the 12v power supplies (red and yellow I believe)
Edited for pics

Last edited by 951_RS; 07-10-2010 at 12:36 AM. Reason: pics
Old 07-10-2010, 06:06 PM
mhpd31
Intermediate

Hi guys, sorry I havent posted, I had to take the family to Pennsylvania for the old family vacation, was trying to get the car done before we left! So now while the family is having a great time all I can do is wonder what is wrong with my car! (its a sickness I know). Anyway, yes I did wire it correctly into the red and yellow wire. I have triple checked all vacuum lines, and made sure everything is tight. I did make sure the intake was clean before I put the new gaskets on (properly). The smoke test may not be a bad idea though, just to make sure. The car ran great before the upgrades, only problem was a bad bov, so the boost was lazy. I sent an email to Dave Lindsey just before I left, and he assured me that we would get it figured out, and gave me a list of things to check when I get home. I will be home on the 19th, and will be in the garage about 10 minutes after I get there! So I will keep you guys posted! In the meantime keep the ideas coming.
Old 07-11-2010, 01:08 AM
shortbus
AutoX

My vote goes to an air problem as well. If you can't get a stable vacuum, then you won't get stable afr's or smooth idle either. Where is your boost/vac gauge tapped in?

Quick Reply: I am at a loss and don't know what to try next (video)