Found a Perfect Alternative to Evil Thermostat Snap Ring

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 05:43 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Found a Perfect Alternative to Evil Thermostat Snap Ring

I actually found this a long time ago, but kept forgetting to post it. Its a spiral internal retaining ring that costs $4 from McMaster. Here are the pics. It can be installed and removed with one or two small flat bladed screw drivers.

No mods are needed to the water pump, thermostat, or gasket. In these pics is a brand new never used water pump Tstat and gasket. The tstat in these pics is the kind where it has a U shaped gasket that goes around it. The ring is a tight fit, it has to be pushed into the groove a bit due to the gasket but it stays in. The thermostat doesnt wiggle or move AT ALL. This exact ring has done around 5000km in my last engine, and it will do many more. It is stainless steel. Easy to remove, as you can see it has a notch on the end that you use the screwdriver on. Its got some spring, but as you can see it doesnt gouge up the water pump, ruin tools, or draw blood and tears.

The part number from www.McMaster.com is 92370A261. $3.92 each, plus shipping. If there is lots of interest I can order a bunch with my next McMaster order. McMaster is also the best source bar none for the good quality hose clamps (I will make another post with part numbers for those later).

Old 07-04-2010, 07:08 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

good find
Old 07-04-2010, 07:12 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

Very nice. Any concern about rusting?
Old 07-04-2010, 07:21 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
Very nice. Any concern about rusting?
Nope, I used it for 5000 km and not a hint of corrosion or anything. I used it with waterless coolant though. The stock snap ring was steel I think, so this being stainless should present no issues. I think its 316 stainless too.
Old 07-04-2010, 11:36 PM
gt37vgt
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice one .. I like to drill a small hole up high on the thermostate so i know an air pocket doesn't form there before it opens ..
Old 07-05-2010, 01:32 AM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the link, purchased a few to try them out. The OEM snap ring is a bitch to get out so this has to be a improvement.

Quick Reply: Found a Perfect Alternative to Evil Thermostat Snap Ring